Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-30-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

My computer is pretty much constantly and heavily bogged down with spy- and adware. I have desktop icons, installed programs, new homepages, pop-ups, the lot. Spybot SD and Adaware don't help much at all - I can run them both several times as well as clear out all my cookies, caches, and internet files. This does help a little, but the bulk of it stays on my computer, and every time I think I've deleted it all, it's back again when I reboot.

My question is, where do I go from here? I can't seem to shift this rubbish by any means. If there is any program out there that will properly get rid of all this crap as well as block pop-ups (without disallowing me to open new browser windows) I'd be prepared to pay whatever's necessary. I've also considered just buying a new laptop hard drive so that I can start afresh, but this is costly.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm loathe to fork out $350 for a new hard drive, but I don't want to live with all this gunk on my notebook either. Thanks for any suggestions [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2004, 01:03 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Hmmm just a thought, perhaps go through the control panel, add/remove software and taking out anything that isn't a driver, program you actively use or update? Then again you may have already tried that, and/or perhaps found nothing there that may be the cause of your troubles.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 03-30-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
Arledrian

That's the thing - I have a lot of programs on that list that I never put on there, and when I click 'remove' either nothing happens or I get some error, so I can't shift them. It's all pretty sucky
Old 03-30-2004, 01:44 AM   #4
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Make sure Spyboth and Ad-Aware are both fully updated. Use the internal updaters in both of them. Make sure Ad-Aware is set to it's most optimal performance (Custom scan, click customize; under 'scanning' tick everything you can except for 'skip'; under Tweak, extend the 'Scanning Engine' tree and tick the top one (make sure the second one is *not* ticked)). Run Ad-Aware, once it finishes rightclick the list and select all, delete, and clear your quarantine list. Then run Spybot, and again select and Fix everything it comes up with.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:57 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Run Ad-Aware, once it finishes rightclick the list and select all, delete,
umm.. isnt that bad to delete all, i mean what if you delete a impt registry file?

Catch me if you can..
Old 03-30-2004, 04:13 AM   #6
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

IMO, it's still worth it... only thing I can think of that it may mess up are some p2p filesharing proggies that freak out once they realize you've removed the ad-/spy-ware they installed.

Btw, I think the next Gator-popup after running Ad-Aware or Spybot will claim that "the force is strong in you" and ask you to join the dark side.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
quote:

Run Ad-Aware, once it finishes rightclick the list and select all, delete,
umm.. isnt that bad to delete all, i mean what if you delete a impt registry file? [/QUOTE]Adaware is pretty safe, as is spybotSD. They only flag registry keys that are known to be associated with spyware, and although killing spyware can kill some programs, theres always a spyware-free alternative.

What is dangerous is another program called hijack this, kill everything that flags and your computer won't boot. But it lists anything that could possibly be a spyware or other malware, so with caution its fairly good at killing everything. Post its logfile here or use the FAQ to work out whats safe.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Care to say that again, more slowly Andrewas?
There's also the solution of killing the stuff with a coding editor...y'know, going in and deleting random lines of code in the offending stuff...seems like we were talking about that here about a month ago...

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 03-30-2004, 02:27 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Is it just me, or has this stuff gotten more intrusive and annoying, lately? And, does it work? Does anyone buy anything advertised in a popup? I just killed one by something called System Soap, and I swear that I wopuld never, ever buy anything done by them.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #10
Arledrian

Two words. Spy Sweeper (www.spysweeper.com). I am saved. Thank you god.

Regcleaner 4.3 also helped remove a lot of the excess registry. I'd definitely recommend these two programs to anyone who wants a fresh, clean system.

[ 03-30-2004, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Arledrian ]