Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

For many many years I've always wanted to buy an electric guitar and I've finally saved up some money

How much are we talking to buy a decent electric guitar?

I don't mean a top of the range one but not a really crap one either. Also what make would you generally recommend? Would I need leasons or could I teach myself? And is it hard? I don't want to buy something and find out I can't play it at all! Really I don't know anything about them, as you can probably tell with all my newbie questions

Cheers! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

You live in Ireland, probably pounds... So I would estimate about 50 pounds for a reasonably electric guitar, that's WITHOUT amplifier. You definately NEED to find one that DOESNT have bad knobs so your strings constantly need to be retuned. That ruins your learning process. but 50 pounds should be doable I guess, since my friend bought a reasonably not-detuning one for 75 euro's. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's definately harder to learn than my instrument, the bassguitar, since you need to learn chords. I guéss you need a teacher to do that, but I don't know, never tried. It seems hard enough though. I personally did not teach from anyone but my favourite cd's, and it has made me pretty good for the three years I've been playing. But bass is a lot different from guitar of course...

[ 03-26-2004, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: JrKASperov ]
Old 03-26-2004, 02:30 PM   #3
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Cheers! [img]smile.gif[/img] That's good I actually thought they'd be more expensive than that...
I have saved up more than enough money! Should be able to get one next Friday, OOH I CAN'T WAIT! I love music so much and I've always wanted to play an instrument. There's a good music shop nearby my house so they'll probably give me good advice on what guitar is suitable. I just wanted to know how much one would be before I made my final decision but I'm definetly going to buy one now.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:24 PM   #4
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
For my thirteenth birthday, my parents bought y elec. guitar for £100 including amp. The trick is to get a second hand one (by second hand I don't mean falling apart, just a scratch here and there). Also, if possible, get it of a relative or a friend of a relative or any other "networking". That way you get double discount!

As for teaching, my teacher was a bit too fast so I'm currently taking a time out. Occasionally I search the internet for chords and song tabs (tabs = a guide of what notes to play to play a song. Even famous rock songs can be searched for on the internet). So, it is possible to learn by yourself - just slower.

Good luck, Zarr!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

I myself bought my first guitar for 150 $, it's a yamaha EG-112 or something like that, it's not too bad for a beginner guitar, 2 single coil pickups and 1 humbucker gives a nice bright sound, it gets the job done [img]smile.gif[/img] .

I buy all my guitar equipment at www.musiciansfriend.com, they ALWAYS have what I need at the time, lol, no I'm not trying to advertise . But if you are buying online I would go there, you could also email customer service for some advice.

As for what a good deal would look like go here... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../search/c=6243 . These are alot of value packs that come with the guitar/amp.

You might also want to get yourself a book that has alot of chords illustrated into it, maybe even a "how to" video. I've heard the "fretboard logic" books are nothing short of excellent, you could look at those at amazon or something and take a look at the reviews, that goes for pretty much any book/video you find.

And lessons, I took lessons for 3/4 of a year and my teacher taught me chords, scales, etc. We never really got into advanced techniques (i.e, tapping, harmonics, sweep picking, etc). Those can be taught to yourself maybe, but I wish I would have kept with lessons myself, had I, I'd be farther than I am right now [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 03-26-2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Malavon's Rage ]
Old 03-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
You live in Ireland, probably pounds... So I would estimate about 50 pounds for a reasonably electric guitar, that's WITHOUT amplifier. You definately NEED to find one that DOESNT have bad knobs so your strings constantly need to be retuned. That ruins your learning process. but 50 pounds should be doable I guess, since my friend bought a reasonably not-detuning one for 75 euro's. [img]smile.gif[/img]
You have no chance of getting a decent guitar for that much! New guitars range from about £200 (for the fenders etc.) up into the thousands. I would say that £300-£400 would get you a fairly good one. You would probably be thinking of a Les Paul or a Warlock etc. at that range. However if you want a bit classier £500-£600 will be a good range. Make sure amp is decent. I mean 15watt amps suck ass, get quite a big one.

about lessons, I get lessons, they are good as if u get them you actually learn notes etc. while getting good songs (my teacher is the best in Europe, and that is no joke, she travelled to spain to get into the final competition)

However if yuo arent in for shelling out the cash each week for a lesson then you might want to check out www.ultimate-guitar.com It is probably the best tab site out there, and you can get any tabs you want.

Hope this helps

Ross
Old 03-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks evereyone! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'll check out the webistes some of you mentioned. Ross I actually thought £200-£400 would be the price a decent one would cost. No worries though I still have enough money to buy one at that price. Does anyone know roughly how much lessons would cost?

Thanks, your help is aprreciated! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

My electric 7 sting guitar cost me about $300.00 but its a little bit better then the average guitar.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:25 AM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

well my lessons cost £7.50 for half an hour, but you can get cheaper.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
well my lessons cost £7.50 for half an hour, but you can get cheaper.
Hmmm, thanks, not too bad then...

Roll on next Friday!