Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-24-2001, 12:57 PM   #11
DEADMAN
Manshoon

I know this may sound strange but go see the career councilor and take the tests. With a good councilor you can find something you'll enjoy and be suited for. Besides the average college student changes there major 4 times ! I meandered through most of my college career, and its better to be focused.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:16 PM   #12
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

I am not saying there is no such a thing as Programmer, but in college, they dont teach you how to make games. they introudce you to algorithms, object oriented programming, graphical design, net work, etc etc. to work in vedio game industry is something you must pick up at your own time. and i doubt one would enjoy working with pure programs so much.

I want to tell you this: there are three things i think you must consider. your own situation, your own interest, your carrer's future.

your own situation inculdes your limit and potentials. how far can you go in MBA? can you be a PH.D speech theropist? do you really have time to work on huge research project at physics lab (since you have two children)

your own interest, that is, what do you like to do. if you like to make vedio games, then start consult with ppl who work at vedio game company NOW. and once you found something you like, GO FOR IT.

last is your carrer plan's future: working on computer industry has a very very terrible disadvantage. you must constantly adjust yourself to the ever changing technology. if you dont learn, you will be ridded by the society, unlike lawers, economist, finance consultant. (those guys have an easier time)
also, when you already worked 10 years at computer industry, you might gain enough exprience to be manager something. thats when you lose your job, because most companies dont need so many managers. for the past ten years, there has been millions of computer science graduates, and by the time you worked ten years, ppl who can be qualified for supervising numbers like ants. can you take on the competetion? most companies dont need to hire you, you know? they can hire young graduates (who are energetic, and fast thinking) to do the job you did before, and you will not be garaunteed to have a better job. think of it carefully

the way out, is to open your own business, and be a boss yourself. or, you might need some skills other than computer-related. a MBA degree is ideal, but not easy. second major in ecnomics or finance would help

just my suggestions

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 08-24-2001).]
Old 08-24-2001, 01:53 PM   #13
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, I would NEVER want to program games. It really takes someone special to do that...to have a special love for the field. Otherwise, why would they:

1) put their lives and savings and financial backing on the line, hoping that a title will "sell" no matter how wild the likelihood of that is

2) produce a work of art that no matter how great it is, someone somewhere is going to be complaining about it

3) never really get to enjoy the fruits of their efforts, since 99% of the intake of one good seller goes to finance the next projects in line?

Just a few points...but remember, you REALLY have to love what you're doing with game design and development. It's like producing a movie...it's a deal of the deck.

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 02:17 PM   #14
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I will suggest that you get a book called "What color is your parachute?" Even if the book is targetted at audiences trying to find a job, they have a very good self-assessment sheet in it. You can use it to figure out what interests you and what you'd like to do for a living... From there, you can figure out what you'd like to study... BTW: you never know, you might not have to go to College or University.

The important thing is to figure out a career that is pleasing, enjoyable and where you know you'll be able to get in!