Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2004, 10:58 PM   #1
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Catch 22

It's the story of Yossarian, a bombardier in a bomber squadron stationed on Pianosa during the closing days of World War II. Yossarian, though, has come to believe (rightfully) that everyone is trying to kill him.

It's a sarcastic comedy/drama that is funny, sad, touching, embittering, and hard to follow sometimes, because of its "Pulp Fiction" like quality of jumping back and forth in time, and of telling a larger story with a series of small ones...

beyond all that, it's an enjoyable read and strangely captivating...

I suggest it to people who like sarcasm, humor, sarcastic humor, and chocolate covered cotton.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:08 AM   #2
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

My favorite book. Its absolutely incredible. It draws you in with a series of loosely strung together amusing episodes and then gradually sinks into a story of despair and futility as everything comes together. It gets so that you feel guilty for laughing at such a huge tragedy, but can't help it because its just so funny. Catch 22 is one of few books that can make me laugh out loud and almost cry at the same time. It makes you feel angry with everything and everyone, including yourself, but then laugh at the simple concept of a man being called Mr Major joining the army and being promoted immediately to Major by a clerical error...

I recommend it to everyone, although I actually know quite a few people who just couldn't get into it I really can't understand why! From the first sentence its hilarious, and by the time it lets up its horribly tragic.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:30 AM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

I am just reading it right now. So far I like it, although I am only 100 pages into it.

[ 05-04-2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: dplax ]
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:50 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

I have been meaning to read this book for twenty years..... maybe it is time i did Thanks for the reminder and review

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote