Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

Okay, so here's the deal. I desperately need myself a new computer to play fancy games like Guild Wars, KotOR 2 and the upcoming Baldur's Gate 3 of course, but the problem is: my budget is crappy, and I haven't got a clue as to where to begin.
My specs at the moment are as follows:

- AMD 1500+ (runs as 1333 MHz) processor
- Radeon 9600 XT (my roommate gave it to me because it's shimmers at start-up. Problem is, I keep getting a VPU error [something to do with 'eternal loop', or so I've read] so I reckon a new card would be a better idea)
- An ancient Biostar mobo, which I just have to replace.
- 256 MB
- CD/RW drive (which is a bit crappy)
- An ancient monitor, but it's ok for now. I don't want to spend all my cash buying an overpriced TFT.
- Keyboard
- Optical Mouse
- 80 GB hard disk (dunno which brand, but this one seems to be OK for the moment)

I figure the best improvements lie in the motherboard, the RAM, the processor and the video card. I think the problem with the video card is due to my ancient motherboard so I'll wait with buying a Radeon 9700 pro. Other improvements were something along the line of an Asus A7N8X (maybe deluxe version) motherboard, an AMD 2800+ processor (is that a Sempron?), and 512 DDR-400 RAM. My question: will my system work with that configuration? If not, or if you have a better idea, please let me know. I also would like to know if the system would be sufficient for the stuff I plan to do (mostly play games, but I just want my computer to be problem free.. no blue screens due to incompatibility issues anymore).

I don't think there's any need to change the harddisk, the keyboard, mouse, CD/RW drive and the monitor at the moment. That's luxury for now.

Oh, and just to give you enough info: I run Windows XP, and the I don't want to spend anymore than 250 dollars or something. The processor is not that big of a deal, but I think it would help, so if you guys don't reckon I need it, just take it off the list.

Thanks heaps!

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 01-24-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

One word: Money. How much have you got?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

To be honest, you won't really get that much for £133.13, it would be a good idea to look on ebay.

If you're getting a Sempron make sure it is a 3100, all the rest suck for gaming. It costs £80 Incl. VAT (unless you can get VAT back somehow, or it's cheaper in the Netherlands.) This will overclock like a dream and with the stock HSF you can easily get a 20% increase by overclocking.

You're GPU is sufficient for now, you'd be better investing that money into RAM. Get some PC3200 Cruical CT6464Z40B. You'l get it for £50 for 512mbs, and around £100 for 1gb (if you can afford it)

You'l get a bit more money if you sell those old components after too. Not much, but maybe enough to get that better RAM or something.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #4
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bozos of Bones:
One word: Money. How much have you got?
He said he had 250$
Old 01-24-2005, 12:54 PM   #5
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I misunderstood. I thought he wasn't willing to pay more per single item.. My bad.
GPU may stay for now, get rid of the mobo and the RAM, even teh CPU can last for a few more weks untill you get some more $...
Old 01-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I also forgot about the mobo when I was pricing stuff up. You should really replace it first. You'l have to dump the new CPU for now and get the RAM and the mobo. The CPU price might drop a bit too if you're lucky. Just get saving.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

But what about the compatibility? Or isn't that a problem. If all is OK, I might be getting a new mobo tomorrow.

On that issue, is it wise to install that thing myself (I know a tad bit about putting hardware in and out, but not that much)?

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 01-24-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Compatibility with modern day machines is great, just make sure it's an AMD Socket A motherboard. Well, they are fairly easy to install, just follow the instructions and remember to ground yourself etc. If you don't feel confident then just ask the guy in the store you're buying from (unless it's online) and if you're lucky they'l do it free.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 PM   #9
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Well, if you don't mind committing fraud you could always purchase an identical Radeon 9600XT from some online supplier then claim on RMA that its faulty.

The 9600XT is fine for the current crop of games, you DO NOT need to upgrade this - it even plays HL2!!!

I would definately suggest that you do invest in some new RAM, that will make a world of difference (you wouldnt believe the difference in performance between 512 > 1024mb ).

Personally, I'd check on ebuyer for a very cheap PCChips motherboard with onboard sound and LAN, grab 512mb 400mhz RAM and buy the best processor you can afford with the change.

Maybe when you have the new motherboard, you won't get the VGA fault at start up? We'll see [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Good luck with it.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:17 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Where did you hear they were making Baldur's Gate 3?