Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-27-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I transfered this question from the Books, Movies forum as per a good suggestion by Cerek.

It's interesting to see so many Christians (or believers to some extent) here. I have to admit I usually spend my time on the Wizardry 8 board. What do y'all feel about Fantasy RPG's and DnD and the like. I do get negative comments at times for playing these games. People saying it's evil or satanic etc. What do y'all think about that?

Cerek's response:
You're last comments really deserve a thread of their own (perhaps in General Discussion forum). I've never played Wizadry 8, but I did play AD&D in college. My mom wasn't happy about it, but I personally see nothing inherently wrong with the game itself.

Most of the criticism leveled at AD&D by Christians is based on a large dose of misinformation. I agree that there are certain elements of the game that go against Christian theology. If nothing else, the older versions contained some basic occultic language and/or references that could cause a young gamer to become curious and want to explore the occult a bit more. That has been the most valid argument (from a Christian POV) against the game that I have found.

Of course, the game itself can be quite addictive. I don't even want to think about how many hours I used to spend each week playing the game and/or working on characters. I did let it get to the point where it interfered with my prayer time and church attendance - so that is another aspect that a Christian should be cautious of. Then again, that would apply to ANY pastime or hobby that they let become more important than their worship life.

I personally felt I had to step back from AD&D because I was spending too much time on it, but I have many good Christian friends that have played the game and have NO moral qualms about it at all.

As with anything else, it just depends on whether it remains a healthy pastime or becomes a somewhat unhealthy addiction.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

My neighbours had to give up Everquest and Pokemon because it was really affecting their lives in a negative way.
I play play DnD on most Sunday afternoons now. I also play different fantasy Srategy and RPG games on the PC. I do have limits though. If I can't play DnD with a party of good characters doing good things, I won't play. The same is true for the PC games.

This same neighbour and I also play Axis and Allies. I don't really see how that's ok and the other isn't. People "really" died in that!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I love my D&D and Fantasy games, the only comments I get are "GIMP" or "NERD" or something along those lines.
Although I have never played physical D&D games, but I would like to.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #4
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Oh yes, I think I just freaked out my bible study leader when I told him I played AD&D, when he asked me what I did this weekend. Oh, that, and learning how to efficiently kill people.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

I say do everything in moderation.
of course not including vices or anything.

i really get annoyed at conservative chrisitian schools i know (back in the philippines) saying that pokemon, D&D are devils work. I get really angry when people say that brainwashing stupid beliefs.

its the same as arcades if you ask me. like you said.. its a pasttime, and a hobby. its not like we are woshiping it like a cult or anything.

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 AM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

This is one of the reasons why I don't go to church, because if someone in it found out that I play D&D, that would just bring an entire mess of trouble with it.

What a lot of devote christians don't really understand is that D&D is just like any other game, you get addicted and it's an enjoyable pasttime. I've been playing it for seven years and I still don't worship other gods or any of that nonsense.

Variol, as to D&D games affecting people's lives in a negative way, being the type of game it is doesn't have to do with anything. Anyone can get an addiction to video games of any type and stay in their room for quite a long time. The worse I've ever been is playing for two days straight, sleeping, then get back up to play again.

Hark, thats just the thing, most people assume that if you play D&D, because it has other gods in it, then they think that you do worship them. Sad really.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
My neighbours had to give up Everquest and Pokemon because it was really affecting their lives in a negative way.
[img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Oh you're serious....

Errmmm....
Old 10-27-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
This is one of the reasons why I don't go to church, because if someone in it found out that I play D&D, that would just bring an entire mess of trouble with it.

What a lot of devote christians don't really understand is that D&D is just like any other game, you get addicted and it's an enjoyable pasttime. I've been playing it for seven years and I still don't worship other gods or any of that nonsense.

Variol, as to D&D games affecting people's lives in a negative way, being the type of game it is doesn't have to do with anything. Anyone can get an addiction to video games of any type and stay in their room for quite a long time. The worse I've ever been is playing for two days straight, sleeping, then get back up to play again.

Hark, thats just the thing, most people assume that if you play D&D, because it has other gods in it, then they think that you do worship them. Sad really.
well i still do go to church. i believe in the church. but not at some idiot people in the church

Catch me if you can..
Old 10-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Just a note here, keep this topic OFF the general discussion of religion or religious beliefs of a group or groups, please. That's a taboo topic on Ironworks at the moment and will get the thread closed.

To answer the general theme: I am a churchgoing Christian and I play several D&D style crpg's. As does my parish priest. Neither of us thinks of it as anything more than a GAME.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
[img]graemlins/1drinkspit.gif[/img]

Oh you're serious....

Errmmm....
[/QUOTE]its actually called ever"crack"

edit: here is an interesting link
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in510302.shtml

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Bunker/9915/

[ 10-27-2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Harkoliar ]

Catch me if you can..