Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2002, 03:23 AM   #1
Faceman
Hathor

This topic originally has been started by Lavindathar as Suggestion For Regulars in BG&TOSC forum.
As it spawned a really resourceful discussion, I want to carry it over to the BG2 board.
The main point is: DO NOT SPOIL IF NOT ASKED FOR IT!
We all want to help, but some people just want general information. "Will I find a good axe soon?" does not necessarily mean: "What is the best Axe in the game and where do I find it?"
quite often you stumble upon a question, where some wise guy only gives hints, but does not reveal everything, but the next poster openly spoils, giving exact location, strategy etc.
I also suggest to use "ghost text" for spoilers (i.e. set the textcolor equal to the bgcolor).
To do this
use <font color="#3D2F1B"> and </font>
for example <font color="#3D2F1B">some text</font>
This text can be made visible by highlighting it like the line below.

Backstab Septuple Damage! Gotya!

The appropriate colors are "#44341D" for the light and "#3D2F1B" for the dark background of the postings.

So if we all could make use of that and be a little bit more careful with spoiling, I'm sure a lot of first-time players will be thankful.
Old 03-06-2002, 03:34 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just a note, Windows users can press Ctrl + A to highlight the hidden text.

Quite easily done, but I prefer just using spoiler tags, as new members will not know about this system and still spoil anyway.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 07:24 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Good idea, I will use it from now on. Btw, this is a test.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:09 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

I think that would give us all the opportunity to spoil "safely"

I put it in my sig!

EDIT: Testing sig

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Faceman ]

Old 03-06-2002, 08:13 AM   #5
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Wow!

Kick arse!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:15 AM   #6
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I agree with Dundee, newcomers will probably not know about this system and so will not be able to read the spoilers, and when they themselves spoil something, they will just use an ordinary spoiler alert. Besides, those alerts work just fine, don't they?

I agree with Faceman about not to spoil when no one asks for a spoiler though.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:16 AM   #7
Barlik Longbeard
Manshoon

Damn. It didn't work!
Old 03-06-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

I can see the problems, but I can also see the solutions.
You can put a (SPOILER, Ctrl+A to read) or (SPOILER, highlight to read) in your opst, which is longer than the usual method, but it saves a lot of space and makes he threads easier to read.
I also agree with newbies spoiling the old way, but our Welcomed new Users are less likely to spoil than the board elders, as they obviously have already seen everything. I'm convinced, that regulars know a lot more and are therefore quicker with spoiling.
To inform newbies I put it in my Sig.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Can I make a suggestion? It might be a good idea for everyone to read the Rules and Regulations, there's a good piece there on spoilers. It's the rightmost big circle at the top of the page (that says Rules and Regulations).

I'll paste a copy of the policy here for your convenience, but it's really just commonsense. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Warn before you Spoil: A spoiler is something that reveals information about a plot twist or the location of some object/character/hidden place in a game. Spoilers are by their nature subjective - you will need to use your judgment to determine what these are. Many people in this forum talk about 'general' game issues, such as "What is the best party for whatever" or "Should I drop whoever from my group?". These types of posts usually don't require spoilers as they are general information. Other people might have specific game questions like "How do I get past so-and-so" or "Where is such-and-such". These would be considered posts requesting spoiler information. Some are obviously bigger spoilers than others. There are also posts which refer to specific plot twists in the games here, A lot of people who come here do NOT know about certain plot twists which the rest of us might take for granted. Unmarked spoilers about these detract from these people's gaming experience. The majority of people don't like finding out about a plot twist before they were meant to. (Like someone telling you the ending of a movie before you see it) As a courtesy to other board members who may not have gotten as far in the game as you have, please abide by the following when requesting or revealing spoiler information: Do NOT reveal the spoiler in your title. Put a SPOILER tag in the title so people know you will be revealing spoiler information. Put spoiler spaces just before the part where you are revealing the information.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:02 AM   #10
Ted Bigfoot
Dungeon Master

I don't want to labour the point - Memnoch has already summed it up in the Rules & Regs. However, a simple rule could be adhered to ...

For Spoiler information the Post should have SPOILER in its Title. Typical, when a post is submitted, the sender is asking for spoiler info or not.

For people replying - if the post has no request for spoiler info don't send any !!! Just hints or general advice.

This way people can stay clear of spoiler posts.