Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-14-2001, 10:23 AM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Where is the line between a SPAM thread and a GD thread? Why is the song continuation thread allowed to proliferate while the 'three-word-story' thread has already been nominated as a SPAM thread? When will the 'so whats up' thread finally be shut-down due to SPAM as we try to kill it?

I am aware of the limited server space, but what are the rules? Are 10 threads about 'my xxxth post' and 'hey john doe did you get my email' that each go to 20 posts not as bad as one thread, that allows everyone to participate, going to 200? Where is the line? Is all SPAM to be eliminated? Are some 'popular' people allowed to SPAM but other 'trouble makers' are shut-down as soon as they post?

This is a great place, one of the best on the net, and this is in no way a 'bashing' of the forum! It is just becoming so difficult to know what to reply to and what to stay away from for fear of being called a SPAMMER or threat of being shutdown.

------------------

Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect from alphabet soup?
Old 06-14-2001, 10:31 AM   #2
Ziroc

Moridin, We all know what spam is, it's useless stuff like "John did you get my email" as you said, ALSO, some other types are:

"Wow, I reached xxx posts!"
When I del a thread, that person posts "why was my thread del'ed?" -- email me to ask..

"Lets get my posts to 300"

Now, NON-SPAM posts are:

"Hey guys, I had a bad day"
"Goodnight all"
"My Cat"
"Story of xxx"
And any poll, and general talk..

Don't worry about thinking you're posting something spamish, If it is, I'll let ya know via email. most are not..

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-14-2001, 10:33 AM   #3
Ziroc

BTW, that Song thread IS spam too, I hope it ends soon.. I will give them time to finish it up.

------------------
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 06-14-2001, 10:35 AM   #4
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

whats up here z?

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM 'S favorite pet pea-cock...teehee and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-14-2001, 10:37 AM   #5
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
BTW, that Song thread IS spam too, I hope it ends soon.. I will give them time to finish it up.

Yes actually I admit that I knew it was spam and still posted. But the reason that I put my opinion about not carrying on with the 3 word story thread is that it seems those threads escalate and get much bigger than threads such as the song connection one much much faster. Its not choosing who i do and do not like

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

"I've put my trust in you, pushed as far as I can go. For all this theres only one thing you should know....."
Old 06-14-2001, 10:45 AM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Moridin, We all know what spam is, it's useless stuff like "John did you get my email" as you said, ALSO, some other types are:

"Wow, I reached xxx posts!"
When I del a thread, that person posts "why was my thread del'ed?" -- email me to ask..

"Lets get my posts to 300"

Now, NON-SPAM posts are:

"Hey guys, I had a bad day"
"Goodnight all"
"My Cat"
"Story of xxx"
And any poll, and general talk..

Don't worry about thinking you're posting something spamish, If it is, I'll let ya know via email. most are not..

But but... Z! My CAT had a bad day and wants to know if you and John got my email about me hitting xxx posts and asking to get my posts up to xxxxx in a story named XXX! Hmmm mayhap I should take a poll and ask?! BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Hmmm...you may have to rate this post triple x, Z! LOL....

Cloudy, home with sinus trouble and working on very little sleep

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-14-2001, 10:54 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Where is the line between a SPAM thread and a GD thread? Why is the song continuation thread allowed to proliferate while the 'three-word-story' thread has already been nominated as a SPAM thread? When will the 'so whats up' thread finally be shut-down due to SPAM as we try to kill it?

I am aware of the limited server space, but what are the rules? Are 10 threads about 'my xxxth post' and 'hey john doe did you get my email' that each go to 20 posts not as bad as one thread, that allows everyone to participate, going to 200? Where is the line? Is all SPAM to be eliminated? Are some 'popular' people allowed to SPAM but other 'trouble makers' are shut-down as soon as they post?

This is a great place, one of the best on the net, and this is in no way a 'bashing' of the forum! It is just becoming so difficult to know what to reply to and what to stay away from for fear of being called a SPAMMER or threat of being shutdown.

And just who is do you see as 'popular' and allowed real spam while others aren't?!
I can see where an ENTIRE thread devoted to "did you get my email" might be spam, but if one person asks amidst a larger thread or inside a longer post of their own, I tend to skim over it (heck, I've posted that question a few times in that manner). I never worried about 'being shut down' for that. But like I said, I don't see myself starting an entire thread that way.....

Last I saw on that 'So Whats up' thread... they were discussing sports!
Haven't seen the three word thing...

I guess I can see where people might start to wonder what is and isn't spam (useless spam). But honestly, Moridin, don't fret so much!

Sigh....

Cloudy, off to take a nap

PS, If I get voted, stupid spammer of the year, keep the trophy, I'll pick it up after my nap LOL

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-14-2001, 10:55 AM   #8
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Ziroc--My question is: Why are these threads (the song one) allowed to continue! You readily admit that it is SPAM and at the same time admit that server space is a problem........I guess I don't get it. It is your forum and your rules, but if space and spam is a genuine concern then shut these down or post a set of GD rules or something!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 06-14-2001).]
Old 06-14-2001, 10:57 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

BAH! what has happened???

I have no idea

------------------

You know what happened. We are ONE, WE ARE, ahh.. er... I AM 'S favorite pet pea-cock...teehee and... Stay ahead of the Avalanche or risk being buried...
Old 06-14-2001, 11:05 AM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
BAH! what has happened???

I have no idea

I guess according to PyschologistCloud, I am fretting too much
Just trying to figure out which threads are allowed and which are not, as there seems to be a 'trend' going on of 'offensive' and 'SPAM filled' threads, of which some are deleted or locked while others are allowed to continue. It started when I read the comments on the 'three-word-story' thread. I guess I didn't see why it should be shut down while other, IMHO, frivolous threads continue to pop-up and grow!

------------------