Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-27-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
BLACK KNIGHT

Okay, I'm a struggling Necromancer who has the following party and Quests Done:

Me
Minsc
Korgan
Nalia
That Mage/Cleric from the Circus tent that I can't remember her name starts with an A
Jaheria

I am using Nalia's spells to do most of her thieving. Her open locks and find traps is worthless. I am looking to replace her with someone (someone once mentioned getting Jan, what class is he?) I am thinking about replacing Jaheria with Edwin, too. Looking for comments on how to improve my mage driven party. Any mages I'm forgetting?

Have done Korgan's and the tent quest. Next is the Keep quest for what's-her-name. After that, I'm up in the air as to what to do. Am looking to go as straight through as possible with not too many side quests. But having three mages in my party has been interesting. Very neat to see fifteen Magic Missles killing something very quickly. Let me know if there are any quests that a Mage HAS to do. Thanks

BK

Old 02-27-2001, 03:19 PM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm after Nailas keep quest why not change her for Edwin instead and change Minsc for Jan (illusinist/thief) And Aerie is the tentbabe.
Old 02-27-2001, 03:23 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

yes, definitely swap Nalia for Jan
As a mage you really should do the Valygar Corthala quest as it gets you your stronghold
Old 02-27-2001, 03:25 PM   #4
Hesperex

...but if you do change Minsc for Jan then you only have one character who can fighter 'Korgan' and I find you can get a littke bogged down if you don't have two decent fighters up front. thats just my preferance so you should probably just ignore me

Old 02-27-2001, 03:26 PM   #5
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Might contain SPOILERS:
>
>
>
>
>
I would suggest exchanging Jan (multi class illusionist/thief) for Nalia, at the end due to multi-classing, Jan might not be as powerful as Nalia in magic (but he is a pretty good thief), but you can also change Imoen for Jan later once you rescue her from Spellhold. Since it appears your party is good aligned, I am reluctant in recommending Edwin into your party, even though he can memorize LOADS of magic missiles..... When you get Valgyar (since he can grant you access Planar Sphere, a must if you are a mage and want a stronghold), switch him with Minsc then, just to keep your 3-mage party. Jaheria's spells can be useful (very useful, like fire elemental and insect summoning spells, for those "special" hostile mage encounters), and she can wear heavy protective armor (since she is a fighter/druid).
Old 02-27-2001, 03:29 PM   #6
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I tend to agree with Hesperex on the need for two fighters in the party. And Valygar can hold his own if you use him in the Planar Sphere quest. I had good luck with him in the party and we were all pretty low level at the time. The circus tent cleric/mage...yes, Aerie is her name...hahaha.

StormCloud
Old 02-27-2001, 03:34 PM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Hey Cloudbringer, aren't you gonna recommend your knight to get Anomen??
Old 02-27-2001, 03:40 PM   #8
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I agree with the need for two fighters. I personally like Keldorn for his dispel magic/true seeing abilities. If you are not doing too many side quests I wouldn't worry about switching Nalia for Jan, as Accord said, you can pick up Imoen in Spellhold.
Old 02-27-2001, 03:51 PM   #9
Gray Mage
Banned User

I wouldn't recomend Anomen to anyone. I thinks it's more personal though, nothing really to do with stats. He is almost as whiny as Nalia. I personally like Valyagar.
Old 02-27-2001, 03:58 PM   #10
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Agree, don't get me wrong Gray Mage, I dislike Anomen too ... if you start an Anomen hate thread, I'll probably be there (he is just annoying and too whiny)!