Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2001, 02:24 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

I've finished BG1, didn't do the Sword Coast and now finished BG2. Sword Coast is relatively small and I haven't bought it...yet. The thing is I'm now looking for a big/ish game to get my teeth into along the same lines as the BG series. I'm going to try BGII Multi-Player online but I'm not too much into playing all over again as a single player in a different class. I don't want to spread the game too thin too quickly and tire of it. I'd rather take a little break, enjoy some M/P experiences with my friends and return to it singularly at a later date.

I've tried to get into Plane Scape Torment but it just won't click for me, I'm sure a lot of you know what I mean.
I haven't got too far into Torment admittedly and maybe someone can talk me round and tell me what I'm missing...who knows. Still, what I'd like to do is buy something else along the D&D lines that is recommended rather than going on pot luck and back of the box hype. It's just there seems to be a good few out there and to tell the truth it leaves me a little baffled as to which way to turn. Has anyone got any suggestions for a good D&D type game that they have played and would recommend....I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:34 PM   #2
Rikard_OHF
Beholder

Ice Wind Dale
Old 02-06-2001, 02:35 PM   #3
Ertai, Wizard Adept

Well, there is NOTHING even similar to BG and BG2 but...

IWD is cool, but its more hack´n´slash than bgseries, the story is VERY linear. The good point about it is that there are LOTS of weapons, and they are random (for example, in a chest you can find a bow, a sword or a xbow), and that adds a BIT of emotion to the game.

Apart from this, i havent tried Planescape nor Wizars & Warriors

Old 02-06-2001, 02:46 PM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Charlie, as someone else said try Icewind Dale. It was my first computer rpg and I loved it. So you have to follow the storyline, its not that bad and the areas and battles are good. Also they are coming out with the expansion for it any day now (waiting in aggravation) which is supposed to add some interesting options including the Heart of Fury mode where all the battles are harder and you can go up to level 30. But I really recomend IWD if you need a good game. I think you'll like it. Also you have to make up your whole party.
Old 02-06-2001, 02:47 PM   #5
Dramnek_Ulk

i would continue with torment, when i first played it i found it very hard going all this "Sigil City of doors" stuff and the weird magic syste m and and all that but get a walkthrough or something and persist with it. The story is the best of any game i've played and i find it(storey and game) beter than bg1 or Bg 2. The storey alone is worth playing for and the graphics and artwork are fantastic and you get to visit many intersting locations and find out much about the odd world of planescape and it has MODRONS in it. and it has the most over the top spell effects of any game much beter than bg2 even though torment is over 2 years old. it is also very differnt from bg1,2 and icewind and refeshingly so i would say. try http://www.planescape-torment.net/ouch/ for really funny interviews with planescape torments cast.

Old 02-06-2001, 02:49 PM   #6
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I have to agree, Ice Wind Dale is probably the closest game to BG. You have to make up all six party members yourself in the beginning though, no NPCs. How far along did you get in Planescape Torment? I loved that game! Great NPCs! I guess though, there is quite a lot of reading involved with it. You walk up to someone to talk and they just go on and on and on about the values of life and/or death!
Old 02-06-2001, 03:46 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Charlie- I played Ice Wind Dale through before starting BG2. I liked it alot, in fact I had started BG1 and never gone past the the first few chapters because I didn't quite "get it" as to how the thing worked. Kept being killed off. Playing IWD with all my own characters and fairly straightline story made it easier. Once I got the hang of dungeon crawling, I decided I really liked it and bought BG2. Also waiting for IWD expansion due out soon.

Cloudbringer
Old 02-06-2001, 04:13 PM   #8
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Having played both Torment and IWD i can say that Torment is a good filler game, it allows you to play it a different way each time, but after finding about five way to complete it, and being every class it get boring. IWD is extremly liner, you go to palce find out what you need then the next place opens up and you do the same thing agaist slightly stronger monsters, and it go on about five more times. Personaly when i feel the need to play a filler game i play an oldish one called Dungeon Hack, You have to set the dungeons hardness and the put someone you made through it.
Old 02-06-2001, 04:15 PM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Thanks all.

Looks like IWD is the favourite then. Thanks for taking the time I appreciate it.

Ladyzekke, I haven't got too far in Torment, still on the first floor. I'm not keen on the way it all works...holding Tab down to run etc and all the irrelevant, nonsensical waffling. You're in dialogue for a good while then...bang.."updated my journal", about 10 minutes of old flannel later.."updated my journal", more old tosh...then again "updated my journal" more old bunny..."upda.... Oh shut the f**k up mate and do it all in one hit why don't ya? Seems you're going over and over the dialogue incase he goes into journal updating mode again and you've missed something...It's just a little too slow for me I think, does it speed up?... I may try again...who knows.

Anyhow, cheers for giving your point of view guys, IWD it is.
Old 02-06-2001, 04:21 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

You wont regret Icewind Dale a bit Charlie and if you do I'll will give you your shitey money back! Plus I know you like fighters and thats a fighters game! Ya gotta love a critical hit!