Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 12:33 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Some spoilers
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
I did not try to kill the Gold and Green for role playing purposes but the White , Blue and Red ones were fairly simple. I can see them being hard with some classes but with a cleric they just seem to easy or maybe I was just really lucky.

The First one the White Dragon I actually had a decent battle with, spells like Blade Barrier, and destruction(I am actually surprised it didn't kill him out right), worked quite well. I had him at badly wounded when my cleric started running out of spells that could harm him. I cast harm, bang one more hit and he was gone. (I actually enjoyed this battle because I didn't kill him right away so got to try different things)

Then there was the cheesy blue one, well I had to kill him after reading the books about the ceremony and he was sleeping so why not use harm? WoW it worked again, he did manage to get off some acid before he died.

Then the all scary red dragon. Might as well try harm, crap it did work, down goes my henchman, down goes my summon. Cast "Destruction", fails saving throw dragon who was barley injured is now dead.

So you see what I mean. It is nice that my cleric can get his spells to work but In BG II I remember this battles with dragons that lasted like 20 minutes. I am overjoyed that my cleric has such powerful spells that are actually worth memorizing because they work, but I found the battles with these behemoth slightly disappointing, I guess I should be thankful that I didn't take another class and curse a swear about how hard they were if that would have been the case. Did anyone else feel disappointed by these battles?

Oh and I thought the dragons looked awsome.

[ 03-22-2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
Jorath Calar
Harper

As a fighter rouge they were pretty though, I probably spent more XP on respawns than I got for the Red Dragon...

Harm spell is a horrrible spell, it's just way to powerful for a 6th level spell and it's just ridiculous that a dragon can be killed with it.

It has been changed in 3.5 rules, now it takes a certain percentage of he recievers health, but doesn't just leave it with 4 hp...
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Actually the problem is NOT with the spell - instead its with the Dragon's spell resistance.. which is either too low by default or purposfully low for this spell.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Actually the problem is not with the spell resistance it's the game [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Since it's so single player with only two characters dragons can't be really tough especially not for the weaker melee classes like sorcerers and wizards. Baldur's gate was cool because you had a real party but now it has to be easier. Still like it though [img]smile.gif[/img]
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I concur. The dragons are stupidly weak. Granted, in the BG games it's possible to defeat dragons with solo chars... but these are solo chars of levels 19-30something with godsblood.
*These* dragons are pathetic. They're pretty small, which is indacative of their ages, which explains why they're so easy to kill. But they *do* look cool, I'll give them that.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #6
pritchke

I mean the dwarf you meet outside the Inn, North of Port Luskan with his two goons is insanely difficult by comparison.

I think he was my hardest battle in the game so far. Those Huge Fire Elementals still give me problems as well.

[ 03-22-2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 03-22-2004, 02:50 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

The dragons have been nerfed in NWN and Clerics are way too powerful as a class. Nuff' said.

My Monk with Greater Swordsmans Belt pretty much played around with the dragons as well. Improved Evasion and robes of elemental resistance also helps. And potions of Heal, should anything unexpected happen.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #8
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Oh I don't know.. Game balancing is handled pretty well - and I seem to remember waxing tough dragons at level 14 in BG2 with just the use of one character (though the plot and character interactions were SOOOOO much better). And as strong as the clerics are in NWN's they were MUCH stronger in BG2 (just think of wonderous recall and holy smite in BG2).

Consider that your character should "bump" into the dragons at level 14-15, thats about right for the lesser dragons (which are far younger) and the red can effectivly be taken-out with a plot device. (and one of the better sub-plots in the game I might add - better than BG2's dragon plot.)
Sure Harm is flaky with dragons here - after all it really shouldn't work on the red (plot device or no plot device) - but I think the designers tried taking on the dragons with clerics at that level and found they were a bit week without "tweeking" Harm for them.

BTW, the real power class in NWN's isn't the Cleric - its the Druid and the Monk, (especially the Monk). (though the Druid got hosed on creeping doom in comparison to BG2.)

and while I've had difficulties with that dwarf - it depended a LOT on the class and the gear (excepting the belts of cheating). But swarms of those huge fire elementals are tough - even for a Monk. (guess you shouldn't "play" with fire.. unless your a 10th level red dragon disiple. but that'll teach those not to choose evil.)
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:44 AM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Perhaps, but the Cleric is still overpowered in 3rd edition. He can do almost anything, and especially so in NWN where you don't need to think about things like if your alignment are within your diety's accepted boundaries and if you have the correct domains for that diety. You can mix however you like.

I very much understand why the Monk is powerful (Monk gloves doesn't exist in PnP as far as I know), but please explain the Druid. His offensive spells are mostly elemental in nature, the easiest non-physical damage type to protect against, and due to the cheesy amount of magical equipment in NWN; his animal shapes are faírly pointless. Not a bad class in any way, but slightly behind the Cleric when it comes to raw power IMHO.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:28 AM   #10
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:

Sure Harm is flaky with dragons here - after all it really shouldn't work on the red (plot device or no plot device) - but I think the designers tried taking on the dragons with clerics at that level and found they were a bit week without "tweeking" Harm for them.

Harm actually did not work on the red dragon, it was Destruction that killed him immediately for me. So it was possibly just luck but with 3 destructions memorized it was likely I would have hit home sooner or later.

I like Destuction slightly better than harm because if it fails to kill, which it usally does at least it does a decent amout of damage.

[ 03-23-2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]