Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-09-2003, 05:48 AM   #1
Kinkathra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi!
I recently bought W&W, and installed it on my computer.... only to find that it refuses to run in Windows 2000 Professional. You know those pop-up ads that when you try to look at them, they're off-screen? It acts like one of them. I'd really like to play it, as I saw it working on my mother's computer before I moved. She, however, was using Windows98. Any suggestions on how I can get it to work?
Thanks!
- Kinkathra
Old 12-09-2003, 07:35 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

Oh, well. Winblows2000. You are not alone who has met the problem W&W is highly inconsistent with this present of Big Bill. What to to? Check the technical tips. Large part of this thread is dealing about winblows2000 and winblowsXP.
What you will need.

1. Service pack 2 (at least).
With the service pack installed, you will need to enable the W95 Compatibility Layer. W&W must run in the W95 Compatibility Mode, otherwise, it will not run at all most likely. See the tech tips for details.

2. Reformat video clips by means of the Virtual Dub program.
The video of W&W is compressed and - to make the incompatibility between versions of winblows more profound - winblows2000 does not support compressed video. The program above can uncompress the video and allows W&W to run. Again, see tech tips for details.

3. Do not run the game from the autorun.
As you have seen, it's unpossible. Place a link to deep6.exe from your W&W directory on your desktop (and set the W95 compatibility mode for the link), always quit the autorun, and start the game from the link.

4. Be prepared for malfunctions crashes and hangs. Save, save, save.
The game will crash much more often than under W98. It will crash even in the moments when you've never seen any problems before. Among others, you will need to experience with video drivers. Sometimes, the most recent driver is not the right solution (my own observation with GeForce 4 Ti 4200 8x). Also, be prepared for the following malfunctions:
a) A large fake white cursor in the centre of the action window after every reload or restart of the game. Try another video driver.
b) Cannot cast magic - try another video driver.
c) Cannot move objects. The game crashes after almost every attempt. No recommendation I wasn't able to fix it. Yep, you've guessed it. You will play without ability to move objects. Well, you can push objects safely.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Wow, Radek! I'll buy you a drink at the Boogre Bar, and you can tell me what's jumped in and bothered you today. I don't recall the last time I've seen you this irritated at Bill and his products [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kinkathra, welcome to the boards! May your sword soon find its place in the Gael Serran.

Radek's given you the basics. Check our Tech Tips thread, and you will get the list of things to do to make W&W run on Win2k. If you still get stuck, come back and let us know. We are perfect so far -- we've gotten W&W to run on every system that's been brought in here, and I'm certain we can get it to run on yours. Just be sure to give us the exact errors and exact things you're doing... or else we'll have to ask for them [img]smile.gif[/img]

And when you do get it running, keep us posted on how your game progresses. We're all kind of voyeuristic like that... [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:09 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Kinkathra!!!

As mentioned, the Tech Tip thread has LOTS of helpful information which should solve your problems getting the game to run. IF the Tech thread doesn't quite cover it, there are wonderful regulars on this board who will make every effort to sort out the problem and get it solved! As Bungleau said, we've yet to find a problem that wasn't resolvable!

Hope you will be playing W&W soon and will keep us posted on how your game is going!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Radek
Red Dragon

Nothing has jumped in, Bungleau. Have you never seen a militant fanatic/2, running OS/2 for years and writing programs for this operating system? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Moreover, if that fanatic/2 has experience with writing programs for windows as well and if he has some insight into the chaos called win... - eh - oh, yes, windows, and if he can compare with Linux or OS/2? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
We suffer windows on our computers because we like to play good games. Otherwise, DOWN WITH WINDOWS!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Kinkathra. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

And that is it, really... I just thought I would welcome you here. Compared to these people I have no advice to give you in the technical areas. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Keep us posted on your progress once you get the game working. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2003, 11:55 AM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm fully aware that many more capable OSs have been left in the dust by the MS Marketing juggernaut... I've just never seen your full and unbridled passion on the subject appear to this extent prior to today [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now I am much better educated about it [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
Kinkathra
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the tips [img]smile.gif[/img] My uncle has the service pack, but neither of us have heard of the Virtual Dub program =/ Any ideas on where we can find some information about it or where we could get it from?

Thanks for the welcomes again [img]smile.gif[/img]

- Kinkathra
Old 12-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Welcome to the board Kinkathra. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img] I see you've met some of the "crew". I'm not sure if I dare to do this but I disagree with you on point 4b Radek. *ducks* As far as I can tell that problem is not driver related.

Anyway, you'll find what you need in the tech thread Kinkathra. [img]smile.gif[/img] As Radek said you'll need to experiment with your drivers. If you are using a Geforce based card then 30.82 is the best release ever! If you unfortunately have an FX card you'll probably need a later version to get a little speed out of your card.

There's a link to Virtualdub inside the tech thread. There are also instructions in there. [img]smile.gif[/img] Here you go. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-09-2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 04:27 AM   #10
Radek
Red Dragon

It is, Willow. Or rather, among others, it is related to video drivers as well. When I tried to fix the problem with moving objects (I cannot move objects. Therefore, I cannot do Anephas Shrine regularly. When I must move something to another place then I have to undergo a martyrium of dozens of crashes.) then I got the following experience:

1. Hardware: Motherboard nVidia K7N2 Delta-L, video nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 TD 8x.
2. Video driver from the CD, which comes with the motherboard: The game runs somehow, I cannot move objects.
3. Video driver from the CD, which comes with the video card: Fake mouse cursor in the centre of the screen, I cannot move objects and I cannot use objects (keys, pick axe, and so on). BACK! Uninstall!
4. A super extra gold star new Detonator (I think it was version 45.something but am not sure now). The fake cursor has vanished but I cannot cast magic at all. The game crashes at every attempt to cast immediately. Items cannot be moved as well. BACK! Uninstall!
5. The motherboard's video driver again. The game runs but it runs worse than it did before. Any attempt to use an item is an adventure. Do I succeed? Will I end on the desktop? Or will the computer hang? The best thing to do is "save, use the item and then switch to the weapon by means of the keyboard immediately". The chance of success is high with this trick.