Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 08:12 AM   #1
Domber
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm playing wizards and warriors and i'm really stuck,i've tried everything
from cheats to editors that i could find,I even combed this site for answers.
The game is patched and i'm in the town ready to make my way to Shurugeon Castle.
But i can't leave town because of these F#@$ing Mantraps 5 of them in all,right outside the town gates and before i can do anything they kill my whole party.
Can anyone help,or will i have to take a loss and go back to an old save game?
Thanks
Domber
Domber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:34 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

If you have suceeded to get them all right at the town gates and if your resources aren't good enough to get them then, well, I am afraid that you will need to reload. There are only few things left to try.
Try climbing the town gates and see whether the salads are able to hit you if you are sitting on the top of the town gates. I am not sure whether it will help. I haven't tried it.
Therefore, leave the town, turn back and try to run-jump on the top of the gates. If you see that you are safe at the top of the town gates then kill the mantraps one by one by your spells. If you are dead before reaching the top of the gates or if you can be hit at the top of the gates then it is the end most likely.
Another theoretical chance is trying to get the salads out of the gates by running around them and then running away ignoring all monsters around you. The salads will follow you, don't worry [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
No matter whether you succeed to run away or whether you will be forced to reload, try reaching the Shurugeon Castle. It has been reported repeatedly (again, I haven't tried it) that you can attack the salads from the top if the castle walls. Therefore, jump into the water, reach the backyard of the castle, get rid of the ghosts there, climb the wall and try to get the salads by your spells from there. Even if you were able to cast only one spell before the things got bad, you will be able to hide behind the walls, heal yourself, regenerate mana and cast again.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Domber. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Radek is right. You are in for it now. To rephrase Bungleau's forum motto... "They HAVE hunted you down". [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Okay, that was an inside joke.

Seriously, I am afraid you will have to reload as well.

There is perhaps another option, though: It requires that you have a spellcaster who is proficient in blessing/enchanting. If you do not have a such character you can hang around the Valeia-side of Ishad N'ha and wait for him or her to grow sufficiently strong. You can then let the character enchant a number of silver rings for your party with resistance to poison spells. Wearing such rings might do the trick... At least it might give you enough respite to pass the mantraps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-08-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Domber!!!

Sorry to see that you've run into the very difficult problem of leading Mantraps to the town gates.

Do you have a save from before this situation happened?? Multiple saved games are the wisest choice in this game so I hope you do have an alternate save prior to the Mantraps that you can load. I usually keep 3 separate save games going for one game - sometimes up to five. I save at town when I know everything is alright. I save before going into a dungeon and save in a different slot during the dungeon and another after a dungeon. This has been most helpful when I have run into trouble. I've rarely had to replay more than a half hour of the game to get back to where some trouble arose.

IF you do NOT have an alternate save from before - then I suggest you try the suggestions already given AND devote a lot of your time to playing on the safe side of Ishad N'Ha. Work on improving your characters until they have some good spells to use against the mantraps.

The other option would be to reset the game completely - start over with the same characters. That isn't such a bad option, actually. They keep their experience and most of their stuff (not quest items) and it is a lot easier to go through the Valeia section of the game the second time around. It should go quickly.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:48 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Now, hold on everyone... I mean, just because the sky is dark, it's getting windy, and you can see a funnel cloud headed this way, it does not mean there's a tornado in the future!

Okay, you have a couple of choices. Sure, you're in a tight spot right now, but there is still hope. Here's what I'd do, if I were in your shoes:

1. Head out the other gates of Ishad N'ha toward Valeia. For every one who has it, set their spell to flame drop. This is one of the most effective low-level spells against salads, because it's the gift that keeps on giving.

2. Check your inventory for fire bombs. They are extremely effective against salads. If you sold any to the shops, buy them back. Make them your primary throwing weapons (the three slots on the right side of inventory).

3. While you're in the stores, pick up all the mana potions you can find. You will need them...

4. Remember Mama Hissy's mantra and save... in a new slot.

5. Go back into Ishad N'ha and out the other door for a pure reconnaissance mission. You will get toasted, but what you want to identify is where the salads are located and how well-grouped they are. If there are three in one spot and two in another, you have two groupings to get. If they are all separate... then it stinks to be you [img]smile.gif[/img] , but it can still be overcome. Complete your reconnaissance, and if anyone is dead, reload. If everyone is alive, head back into Ishad N'ha and heal up.

Now comes the fun part... trying to make it through the firefight.

Head out into the wilderness and immediately target the largest group of salads with a flamedrop. Move, 'cause their poison breath doesn't follow you. Repeat until you've got all the groups flamedropping. Then continue flamedropping and fire bombing them until they are all crispy critters.

While the flamedrops are going, they can't attack. Every second or so, they take more damage, and that interrupts their attack. That's why you want to keep casting flamedrops... if one of 'em wears out and the salad is still alive, it's really going to be ticked at you [img]smile.gif[/img] Whenever you run low on mana, quaff a mana potion.

Oh, yeah. Try to stay out of the range of the flamedrops and fire bombs. You're still "young" enough where they will hurt you, too.

At any point where a salad dies, save the game in a different slot. If need be, you can always reload at that point. Feel free to run back into town to heal up as well. Unfortunately, they will heal too, but if you managed to kill a couple, it will be easier. Needless to say, you don't want to run back in if a salad or two is well in the red...

You might also try the real-time toggle to see if that lets you get them before they can get you. It's worth a shot, at least.

Now, if all this seems like too much work, then reload to a previous save. Otherwise, have at it and give it a shot. All you have to lose is your life...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I remember these guys. I've had them chase me back to town often (I was a coward [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ). When I'd get back out, they fry me up, so the next time I'd run past them as fast as I could (or use your horse if you're gotten one), turn around, and cast fire spells like crazy. I remember fire storm (I think that's what it's called, level 7 spell I think) worked great on them.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 07:46 PM   #7
WillowIX
Apophis

Another workaround if you really want to continue your game. Download the roster editor and add some skills to your characters. After disposing the walking salads re-enter town and reduce the skills once more. Not the most honest of ways but it should work. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 PM   #8
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Perhaps you might also succeed in "vanishing" past them. [img]smile.gif[/img]