Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2002, 01:32 AM   #1
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

I'm trying to install BG and, partway into it, I get an error box that says:

An error occurred during the move data process: -106
Component: Program Files
File Group: English
File: SFXSound.bif

Any ideas? I've checked around and haven't solved it yet. Changing my "Optimize access pattern for" setting to "No read-ahead" didn't help. Trying to install it with "Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel didn't help. I'm running Windows ME. Should I just do what I probably should've done in the first place and order the 3-CD Original Saga & TotSC, which has the patch already in it?
Sig Segorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:42 AM   #2
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Your first problem, coming from a comp tech, is running Windows ME. I had so many problems from just using that OS. Could just be me though, and they weren't all limited to BG. It could also be with DirectX as that also deals partly with your sound, and if I remember correct, BG didn't like higher then 6/7 without a patch.
Caramon Majeure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 03:45 AM   #3
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

Yeah, I'm running DirectX 8.1, so that might have something to do with it, although, from what I've been reading, the DirectX patch they came out with is for multiplayer gaming, and the BG patch readme says that a newer version of DirectX can make the game run even better. I dunno. I've tried some other things, like doing just a Minimum install, and turning everything off except Explorer and Systray, but nothing works. Guess I'll just go ahead and order the Original Saga version. Darn . . . more days of waiting, having to catch the UPS guy again to sign for the stupid package . . .
Old 11-07-2002, 06:33 AM   #4
Grungi
Banned User

i got direct x 8.1 and having no problems, so i dont think its that
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM   #5
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you know what you're doing, you can save some money, considering you have Windows 98, install Windows 98 on a second partition, and try to install BG under that platform. If it works, then you know that it's windows that's causing the problems, if it doesn't then it could be that your disk is scratched.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:34 PM   #6
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I had exactly the same error (same file, at a point when 3% is installed), but it came because of a scratch in the 1st disk. Back then I was running W95 with DX8.0 built for W95. BUT I don't believe it's because of DX8.1 version anyway => it's always better than the version before that.

If the cd is scratched, you could try installing it to another system that has a better CD Drive, a burning one, for example (worked for me). They tend to be better in reading scratched disks. In most cases it just means getting a new CD.

Or, if you somehow get past that file and the installation goes on, you can ask someone to get that file for you.

[ 11-07-2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 11-07-2002, 05:50 PM   #7
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

I don't have Windows 98, but, though I'm grateful for the suggestion, I wouldn't mess with my system that deeply, anyway. Yeah, I didn't really put much stock in some conflict between the game and my DirectX 8.1. It probably doesn't like my Windows ME, though I've played older games than this with it, and Amazon.com advertises BG as being compatible with this OS. I don't think the brand-new first CD is scratched, though I don't think much of the lousy cardboard packet the game's 5 CDs come in. Anyway, I only have a DVD-ROM drive, not a CD-RW, so I can't try the "install from THAT drive" suggestion. I'm anxious to try this game out, so I went ahead and ordered the Original Saga version. The money's not a big deal, but I don't appreciate the emotional roller coaster and more weeks of waiting. The kicker is that I had the patch downloaded and ready to put in the game folder, but, being unable to even install it, I couldn't bring that to bear. Drats! Thanks for your input, y'all.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:21 PM   #8
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's not that it's not complatible with Windows ME, it's that Windows ME is a piece of garbage. Microsoft released it about 6 months before they should've even thought of it from all the bugs that weren't fixed, bugs that couldn't be fixed, and well...you get my point.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:09 AM   #9
Sig Segorn
Dungeon Master

Oh, I see. That's par for the course, I guess. I shouldn't be expecting to have a problem installing or playing the Original Saga version, should I? Not sure if I'll like this game or not, but I'd kinda like to start with the first in the series.
Old 11-08-2002, 02:03 AM   #10
Caramon Majeure
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm not sure if you'll continue to have problems, but IMO, get rid of ME as soon as you can. I recommend either Windows 98 SE or Windows XP, but make sure that you know what you're doing before formatting and re-installing Windows. ME is the joke of the computer industry! But good luck with everything.