Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

Fairly self-explanatory, isn't it?

I rarely take spear (and only with druid or F/D), because it's a two-handed weapon that does LS damage. Short sword and club are tied for next least. I usually only take them because I have to take something with a thief or druid.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:37 PM   #2
Yanez
Manshoon

Mine would be clubs, mainly because the first good, non random club is in HoW, but by then there are too many good weapons.
Spears are however always on a menu for my bowman (read: ranger- most of my games). I know it may be a cliche, but I always picture a ranger with bow, two handed sword strapped across his/hers back and with a spear in hand, plus, there are two non-random, very good spears later in game (a +4 and a +5 ones).
Yanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

Clubs. I've left the caveman stage.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
Calagari
Manshoon

I would say Flails they are very slow. In the mace family there would be better choices.
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

I very rarely give clubs, spears, flails or maces as I favour swords and axes, I sometimes give bow and missile weapon proficiencies but only to one or two members of my party or to those who can use little else eg. wizards and thieves.
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 12:21 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

The one I give least would be darts (is that a separate proficiency in IWD? it is so in BG2). Simply because you cant place them in the ammunition slots and they run out too fast. Plus they do little damage.
Then come spears... I dont care much for two handed weapons... but there are some good 2handed swords and halberds so I take proficiencies in those sometimes
Old 10-17-2004, 02:19 PM   #7
Snowball2050
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i would have to agree w/ ZFR about darts. they may be all around but they just dont do any damage. Clubs would have to come next. i find them just "pointless." spears and flails defentely follow close behind

[ 10-17-2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Snowball2050 ]
Snowball2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

Good thing is that the Missile Weapon proficiency includes slings AND darts. So you don't have to spend any points on darts. I agree, they do piddling damage, but there are some cool magical ones. I don't ever use non-magical darts, and then only when I'm trying to disrupt a caster (more hits per round, special effect, and faster init than a sling).

I usually take flail proficiency with somebody, because many of the flails you find have a % chance to stun. Using a stunning weapon is a great way to bring down tough melee opponents.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Speaking of darts, does anyone remember that dart fighter you meet in the wilderness in BG? He was actually quite difficult.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #10
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

I'm editing this to remove flails from the list. I just found a really good flail in HOW. So, all I'm left with is halberds. Not too many great halberds out there.

Of the least desirable weapons, I still like clubs and spears for druids and rangers; and shortswords for short thieves.

[ 10-20-2004, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: jmsteven ]
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote