Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Console Wars and Where I Stand

PlayStation or Xbox? Is Nintendo in the race? What about the good old days of PC gaming?

Hi everyone. I do more reading about games than any real playing these days. Trying to keep up as much as I can with what I can control. I was born a Nintendo gamer and after years got into PC gaming through the Baulder's Gate series as well as NWN. I am into RPGs mostly. Never been interested in 1st person shooters or sports related gaming. You can imagine which Nintendo games I enjoyed most.
When I saw Wii-U prove it could handle BotW, I stayed on Wii-U, not having the need to upgrade to Switch. But BotW2 will surely be Switch-only so I might only have another year before I have to upgrade...though Fairy Tail will be coming to Switch in June so I might not wait for BotW2 to get in. I was going to wait for the Switch Pro that was hinted would be coming with hardware rivaling PS and Xbox level but that is not going to happen this year and they said the upgrades will not be as good as hoped.

Nintendo does struggle to keep up with their hardware but they do make games that appeal to me and my kids. I've never had much reason to even look at PS or Xbox but I have been reading up on them recently because I think there might be some RPGs exclusive to their consoles that I am missing out on.

Now, what is interesting is I read an article that said most games these days are still made for PC gamers! Then PlayStation 4 is next in line for exclusive titles and most games overall. Xbox has some stronger hardware but they don't sell at all in Japan as Japanese will favor local companies over the Americans and since Japan is a big gaming country, game devs have to go where the money's at. That is why I'd choose a PS5 over an Xbox when they're released if I ever had to get one...but I still am not sure what games are on PS that I need to have that I am missing out on. BotW was rated the best game of the entire decade so I was on the right platform for that with the Wii-U. Outside of that, what have I really missed?

Do any of you who visit this site have a preferred gaming platform and why?

Would any of you hold out for a Switch Pro or assume it won't be all that great and just get the regular Switch when Fairy Tail is released in June and be over that game by the time BotW2 is released? That is kind of where I stand now. Anyone able to educate me beyond this?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Console Wars and Where I Stand

Xbox fanboy here, mainly because I won't touch Sony with a 10 foot pole after they blew up my PC with their rootkit stuff. I can't afford to have one of each console anyway, so the Xbox, with Xbox live is great, plus the free games, although I will admit that the selection isn't always all that. I did get Gears 5 for free, and along with some other titles that went straight to Game Pass, like The Outer Worlds. Then they expanded it to PC as well, which is where I still do most of my gaming, since I'm doing a lot of MMOs and while some of them are available on console, I can't afford the hardware to be able to type in game, and headsets wear me out, so it's not as social as it is on PC, for me...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Console Wars and Where I Stand

Thanks for the input, robertthebard! Good points made concerning the rootkit problems I read about and I am glad to hear you still prefer PC gaming.

I guess I should also be considering the online playing platforms like the new Google Stadia which we will be able to find BG3 on, outside of a PC for those that do not have the means to build a PC that is a gaming PC these days. I may actually give the Stadia a try before BG3 comes out...I can't miss that game.