Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2003, 01:00 PM   #11
dplax
Jack Burton

Actually even though ice warming is the product of global warming, the main reason for seas rising is not the ice melting, but the extension of the volume of all the water in the seas and oceans because of the warming.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:33 PM   #12
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Almost time to start up my deep sea diving enterpirse out in Kansas
I know it is a serious subject, have had many a debate on it in the past with co-workers and what have you, but it comes to one point eventually, and that is acceptance, we as a whole need to accept that everything we have done has a cost and that ultimatley we will be the ones who pay it.

[ 10-07-2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 10-07-2003, 04:55 PM   #13
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Actually even though ice warming is the product of global warming, the main reason for seas rising is not the ice melting, but the extension of the volume of all the water in the seas and oceans because of the warming.
Do you have a source? I find this almost impossible to belive, given the fact that about 80% of the ocean isn't affected by surface temperatures, and 18% is fairly well insulated from surface temperatures.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:55 PM   #14
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
We are not killing this planet, the planet is fine and has been through a lot worse than us, how ever, it is getting rid of this annoying rash that humans are to it.
Thats why the Alps are crumbling and melting for the first time in the history of man. I agree. Like the agent said in Matrix I, we are like a virus.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 10-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #15
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

The Ocean IS heating up. If you look at that linked pic, you see that where it's melting is where the waters are. If the Ocean's currents warm up, then it means EXTREME changes to our weather.

I studied weather and other science related areas in school, it's was a lot of fun, and I even knew what an "Intertropical convergence zone" was in 7th grade. [img]smile.gif[/img] My TEACHER didn't even know what it meant.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 10-07-2003, 11:05 PM   #16
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Looks like everyones gonna have to start dressing a lot lighter. And move inland several miles. Land prices will sky-rocket.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 10-07-2003, 11:18 PM   #17
Nerull
Lord Ao

I heard a report somewhere (damn if I can remember where now) that stated that the #1 source of global warming was methane. They also stated that the #1 source of methane was farts, and they stated that the biggest source was cow gas (I am NOT making this up!). [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] Has anyone heard this report?

I look at it this way, you reap what you sow. We have spent the past 150+ years in rapid technological development, not really caring about the long term effects. Now we will begin to see some of the results. And in the long run, it really doesn't matter. The climate will change, some species will die off, and others will replace them. Same thing happened to the dinosaurs.

Go watch the George Carlin standup where he talks about the environment. He ends the show with it, and his big point is that the planet will survive just fine without us, and when it doesn't want us anymore it will shake us off like fleas. I love when he states that maybe the planet put us here just to make plastic.

The point? Things are always changing, and have always been changing. Things come in to influence the direction of these changes, but in the end the overall system will go on, with or without us.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 10-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #18
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I think the global warmings natural...i mean there was Ice Ages...why can't there be Heat Ages?
Old 10-08-2003, 06:14 PM   #19
GForce

Nah. More like Water Age if teh water level is rising and land masses are disappearing. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #20
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Does anyone know where I can pre-order tickets for the next Arc?