Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 06:40 PM   #1
chimera99
The Magister

I was intrigued by the wiz 7 story so I created a perty in wiz gold and began adventuring. Now first, navagating is just a b!tch. Especially when you get caught in a battle and then forget which direction you were facing. Anyway, I finally got a handle on movement (to soem extent) and survived enough fights to to get my first level up, my liz fighter. The game announces level up and then sends me into the screen that allows me to allocate points. I only see points for skills. Where are the promissed stat increases? I finally realize that the personality has gone from 3 to 4. What!? My personality increases from fighting battles? Maybe it was singing around the campfire? Is this really the way the game does levelup? Totally random stat increase. So my mages can increase their strength, my thieves their piety, my fighter his personality, oh, and the likelyhood that my fairy will ever make ninja? Lets see, 8 possible states, need 3 points in specific areas, so thats a mean of 1 per 8 levels on average or lvl 24 to get those three stat points. Please tell me that it isn't so!
chimera99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:40 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Somewhere in the forest is some water from a river and a chest there that has a map for auto-mapping. I found it essential to keeping my directions straight. The battles are tough, though, unless you start with a Dracon (breath). I recommend the "starter dungeon" down the ladder to get everyone's level at least to level 2 (look for secret buttons on the wall for new areas). Before you can enetr the city you have a big battle against Rattkins, get as many HP and levels as you can first. Maybe you missed something with the stats when you leveled, because you can get many points. The problem may be that Wiz 7 is totally random in assigning levelup points. Save just before leveling and reload if you don't get enough HP, then level up again. Wiz & Warriors had the same drawback. The assigning of points and changing classes after level 8 or so made the game a great joy for me, I must have played it 10 times. Also, put alot of points into swimming. Everyone will need at least 10 to keep from drowning (needed soon in the game). Best of...Zig
Old 01-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #3
Nydlari
Manshoon

Wiz 7 takes a little getting used to, but once you do, I think you'll love it. It's still my all time favorite game.

As for your questions: Yes, the stats are assigned randomly, but usualy more than one stat will increase each lvl, though keep in mind that each time you change a character class, each stat is dropped to either the class base or race base of the stat, which ever is greater. This means if your create a character in a class that has different stats than the race, you will have high stats across the board.
As an example, I love playing Elven Ranger/Valkyries, you can switch back and forth between the two classes at will and create a incredibly strong character. I would generaly switch class every 5 lvls in the begining, and gradualy allow the characters to increase in lvl over the course of the game.
Anyway, good luck and enjoy.
Nydlari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Wiz 7 is still my alltime fave. Dune 2 and now Wiz 8 are close. M&M 2 and Ultima 4 are also close, but the graphics are pitiful now. It's interesting to get the whole Ultima or Wiz sets and see the history of computer graphics unfold.