Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2002, 07:12 PM   #51
Tancred
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
THen it switches to Frodo and Sam walking through a city, and you could hear the sighs of frustration in the room and the sound of 60 people settling back into their chairs. It then struck me that Frodo is a pansy . In the Fellowship, on Weathertop (s/p?) when the Nazgul are attacking, Sam goes forwards and gets sliced away. Then Merry and Pippin step together, and are each put to one side. the Nazgul gets to Frodo, and he doesn't even ready himself. He falls backwards and then goes invisible. Now, I know that its not every day that you get confronted by some dude with a REALLY bad throat problem and a fetish for black, but still, it left me with the impression that yes, while the putting-on of the ring HAD to be worked in there somewhere, Frodo could have done more.
That, I always thought, was the whole point about Frodo. He's the most boring, shallow individual you could ever hope to meet. No goals in life, no real desires, no major dislikes. It's what makes him the perfect Ringbearer. The Ring works on any personality flaw it can subvert; Gandalf's desire to do good, Boromir's wish to defend Gondor, Sam's love of gardens... anything. Frodo is so bland and so empty of anything except the determinaton to succeed in his Quest that the Ring has to wear him down whole to corrupt him, and that takes time. He is not a hero. Now, at that time, Middle-Earth really needs someone like that.

This utter absence of anything in Frodo has, I feel, been neatly captured in Elijah Wood's performance.

Tancred
Old 12-22-2002, 07:14 PM   #52
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I'm going to go see the movie tonight.. i am very pumped to say the least!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:49 AM   #53
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Still 3 more sleeps here till the movie hits town - I did some Christmas shopping for myself though - colectots edition FOTR, DVD player to play it on, and super sound system to finally fill all the hollow places in my audio visual cabinet of fun .
Old 12-23-2002, 07:20 AM   #54
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

I saw it again Saturday with some old D&D friend who were home for Christmas! It was just as good the second time. I think this is the first movie I've seen more than once at the theater in a dozen years or so.

It broke the record for a single day in December by taking in $26M. The previous record was set by LotR @$18M. The total for the 5 day opening weekend was a bit over $100M, which is up about a third over LotR.

Check it out.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:25 AM   #55
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
In Malaysia, the Malay subtitles spell "worgs" "wargs"!!!!!!!

woooops... hope i didn't spoil it for anyone there...
Their pronounced "warg" in the brit version as well. Hey, they had to have one mistake.

They look good though.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:47 AM   #56
Throrgrim
Drow Warrior

that had to be the best film ever ever made. helms deep was mind blowing, and when they charged out to meet the oncoming Uruk Hai cos they were going to die! gollum was class, always showing the conflict in his head. i was disappointed with Faramir, because he didnt cpature Frodo and Sam in the book and he didnt try to take the ring. he wa supposed to be noble duh!
other than that, best film ever.
o yea, tree ents smashing up isenguard, that was fun!