Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #1
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Excuse me for asking on this board but has anyone played Arx Fatalis yet?

My copy is stuffed in my wife's handbag on her way home now, and I just wondered whether I was in for a great time or a lousy time with this game!!

Cheers
Mr Creosote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:49 PM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

I´ve only played the demo version. I´m still waiting for the hubby to bring it home to me [img]smile.gif[/img] . But this is a GREAT game! Perhaps the ultimate CRPG since you can do almost anything. You might want to hear from th epeople over at the Arx Fatalis board. There are a bunch of people who has the game already [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2002, 01:52 PM   #3
Mr Creosote
The Magister

I checked in at the JoWood board but it seemed mostly a ramble and whinge that they hadnt received the game yet.

Is it open in the sense of that Morrowind crap? I do hope it has a plot!!
Old 11-08-2002, 03:10 PM   #4
Mr Creosote
The Magister

ARX FATALIS IS AWEFUL!!!!!

Truly dreadful. Its an insult to Ultima Underworld to compare it.

The worse control system I have ever seen. Pitiful combat. A casting system designed by an idiot. Too few options. Two PAGES of control commands. Voice acting that is embarrassingly bad. Zero plot. Grotty graphics. Impossible to manage inventory.
And worse of all ... not the single slightest merest tinge of atmosphere.

Its going back to the shop tomorrow.

And I'm going back to Wizards and Warriors!

Creosote
Old 11-08-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Heron
Dungeon Master

LMAO
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 04:36 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

I haven't seen the game but I've read some caveats (well, they didn't call it caveats, LOL)
1. Fishtank. If the game is alike to Evil Islands somehow then it need not be as good as it is told. Evil Islands came with some splendid ideas: item maker and spell maker where you can not only create new items and spells but also disassemble items and spells(!) to their components and use them for creating other items. Fantastic! No more "completely useless" items! But that's all what I liked on the game.
2. Hardware requirements. I've heard that Arx Fatalis is another Morrowind. If it is the case, then forget Arx Fatalis if you have PIII 550 or a similar computer.
I'd like to emphasize that I could be wrong completely. The info above is a hearsay, not an experience.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:39 AM   #7
Mr Creosote
The Magister

Before I took the game back to the shop, and I tried it again, and REALLY did my best to like it, but I could not. On top of the MANY failings, what finally finished me off were the slow-downs and jerky movements, this happens quite often, especially in combat mode. I have a 2 gig PC with GeForce 4 so its not that, and also loaded the latest game patch v.1.14. I think its cause is sloppy programming and lack of real commitment to play testing. These problems are mentioned on their website.
Try as I might I could find no redeeming features to this game, just about every facet of it is flawed to one degree or other. WOrst of all is probably the control system which in non-intuitive and a pain in the arse.
I'm sure there are many of us on this board who recall our wide-eyed surprise and delight at Ultima Underworld when it came out all those years ago, not only a superb game in itself but ground-breaking. Unfortunately Arx Fatalis has merely tried to cash in on that and provide us addicts with a fix of the old times, but it fails, and it fails miserably.
I serious urge anyone thinking aboyt Arx Fatalis to buy from a place where you can take it back for a refund. If you love the game then great! but if you dislike it then you wont be out of pocket.