Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2001, 07:38 PM   #21
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

LOL yeah 250 - Go for the miniature bunny. Actually both of my rabbits were supposed to be minis (they got minis with floppy ears and pointy raised ones both). Bunny From Hell was supposed to be a mini according to the petstore, but well, WRONG!!! I have to say though, that when choosing Bunny From Hell from all her siblings, she did appear to be the largest of the litter. I only picked her cause she came right up to the glass, and I thought to myself "Oh, lookie, that one is really friendly! I'll take her!" DOH!

So make sure when you buy one, they say it is a miniature rabbit, and even then, don't pick the biggest of the bunch, just to be on the safe side!

Oh! And a bunny name suggestion just for fun, howbout Oggie?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old 08-31-2001, 07:40 PM   #22
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

thank you, Ladyzekke! I will indeed remember your advice! and a funny story you told!

Old 08-31-2001, 07:48 PM   #23
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL Moni! I love the way you so elequently mentioned the "pellets"!

250 - I've had several rabbits in my lifetime. Only tried the indoor thing once about 8 years ago. Went to pet store around Easter time. Saw many baby bunnies. Saw many signs about petstore saying how easy and carefree it is to have a bunny in an Apartment. Weelllll. I love bunnies. Had a bunch of em as a child, although they were all in rabbit hutches outside. So I bought two, one regular looking one and one mini with those floppy ears? Also bought this big cage with a divider in it for each rabbit (even though I was naive, I wasn't stupid, everyone knows rabbits breed, well, like Rabbits!) Anywho, I was totally stunned at the incredible amount of, errr, "pellets" that said bunnies dropped about when I would let them run around outside of their cages (separately of course). Such a little tiny thing, yet it was like a frikken dispenser of pellets, they just kept going, and going, and going, and.... Gave a whole new meaning to "Energizer Bunny" LOL! Well, I didn't want to give up my baby bunnies just cause of that, so I bought a hand vac (works great for those pellets) As time went by, rabbits grew up. Both were supposed to be miniature rabbits according to the petstore (and I paid extra too!). Well. Regular looking bunny (grey and white) turned out to grow into this huge bunny from HELL! This thing was larger than your normal bunny, must have had jackrabbit or something in it, had huge longass horse nose on it too! Oh she was cute, have no doubt of that, but became for awhile there extremely agressive! I'd open the door in the mornings to pour some food into her dish, and she would lunge at me and take those front paws with huge claws and attack the dish, spilling all of the contents which fell down the holes in the bottom of her cage into the "pellet" tray. Trust me, you didn't want to just put your hand in there! Little brown and black floppy eared bunny turned out to be a mini, but was scared to death of everything (probably cause he lived next door to bunny from HELL and was mentally damaged). One time Bunny from hell chewed our cable TV cord all the way to the wires, surprised the thing didn't zap itself (I shoulda been keeping a keener eye on her). Then once my husband actually bought a bale of hay for it (that was quite a mess in an apartment). Couldn't believe it. This thing bored a 7" hole all the way through the center of that bale of hay in one hour flat! I don't know if you have ever grabbed or touched a bale of hay before, but they are extremely wound tight. Never underestimate the teeth potential of a rabbit! Then, I come home from work one day. Turns out my husband had let bunny from hell out of her cage and had her barricaded in the kitchen (he hated seeing things in cages). Well, we had a towel hanging on the refrigerator door handle. Somehow bunny from Hell had chewed a large hole into the still hanging towel, and got her head stuck through it, and was literally hanging there when I came home. I mean HANGING there, choking, eyes bulging, etc. I saved her I think just in time.

So basically, I have to agree with what everyone has said above. Bunnies are good pets to have, as long as you know what you are getting into!
ROTFL! A CLASSIC, Wendy.. this is a CLASSIC!!!!!

Bunny from Hell... bwahahahaha... oh my... *tears streaming down face, laughing hysterically* I will NEVER look at a rabbit the same way again! LOL

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 08-31-2001, 08:21 PM   #24
Moni

Ladyzekke,
ROFL! Funny as hell and sad at the same time...poor bunny from hell!
I love the flop eared "French Lops". My neighbor's had one that got away when they were moving and they asked me to catch it for them at precisely seven o'clock the next morning when it was guarenteed to show up on their porch for breakfast. Sure enough , it came right up to me expecting to be fed. One of the sweetest creatures I have ever seen.

250, if your friend decides on a second bunny, keep the hutches separated by a few inches since if they are male and female, she can and will get pregnant through the wiring! (it happened to my little brother's kids' rabbits LOL)

Make sure that the rabbit has room to run around ( an enclosed yard or a pen) on ground level. It is cruel to keep them in hutches all their lives and they are loyal pets to the hands that feed them...just beware of neighborhood dogs while they are loose. Hutches need to be above ground level though to keep them safe from predators and to keep them from burrowing into the neighbor's yard.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-01-2001, 04:54 AM   #25
Epona
Zartan

I love rabbits.
A word of advice (LZ's rabbit from hell reminded me of something) - get a male rabbit.
Not all females are like the 'rabbit from hell', I had a very sweet doe once, but if they become broody they get VERY territorial - it is the females that fight over territory, not the males. Keeping 2 rabbits together that are not a breeding pair is a definite no-no unless you want to watch them rip each other (and you) apart. A dominant female will become aggressive in any case if kept with any other rabbits (I think this may have been the source of your problem, LZ). Females are also much bigger than males of the same breed.

Get it vaccinated against myxamatosis and viral haemorraghic disease if they are common in your part of the world (both spread by carrion birds eating infected corpses, or contact with infected wild rabbits).

They eat their own droppings - perfectly normal if you're a rabbit.

Check your friend wants a pet and can look after it properly - rabbits can live for more than 10 years so it is a long term committment.

Good luck!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 09-09-2001, 01:31 AM   #26
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
LOL Moni! I love the way you so elequently mentioned the "pellets"!

250 - I've had several rabbits in my lifetime. Only tried the indoor thing once about 8 years ago. Went to pet store around Easter time. Saw many baby bunnies. Saw many signs about petstore saying how easy and carefree it is to have a bunny in an Apartment. Weelllll. I love bunnies. Had a bunch of em as a child, although they were all in rabbit hutches outside. So I bought two, one regular looking one and one mini with those floppy ears? Also bought this big cage with a divider in it for each rabbit (even though I was naive, I wasn't stupid, everyone knows rabbits breed, well, like Rabbits!) Anywho, I was totally stunned at the incredible amount of, errr, "pellets" that said bunnies dropped about when I would let them run around outside of their cages (separately of course). Such a little tiny thing, yet it was like a frikken dispenser of pellets, they just kept going, and going, and going, and.... Gave a whole new meaning to "Energizer Bunny" LOL! Well, I didn't want to give up my baby bunnies just cause of that, so I bought a hand vac (works great for those pellets) As time went by, rabbits grew up. Both were supposed to be miniature rabbits according to the petstore (and I paid extra too!). Well. Regular looking bunny (grey and white) turned out to grow into this huge bunny from HELL! This thing was larger than your normal bunny, must have had jackrabbit or something in it, had huge longass horse nose on it too! Oh she was cute, have no doubt of that, but became for awhile there extremely agressive! I'd open the door in the mornings to pour some food into her dish, and she would lunge at me and take those front paws with huge claws and attack the dish, spilling all of the contents which fell down the holes in the bottom of her cage into the "pellet" tray. Trust me, you didn't want to just put your hand in there! Little brown and black floppy eared bunny turned out to be a mini, but was scared to death of everything (probably cause he lived next door to bunny from HELL and was mentally damaged). One time Bunny from hell chewed our cable TV cord all the way to the wires, surprised the thing didn't zap itself (I shoulda been keeping a keener eye on her). Then once my husband actually bought a bale of hay for it (that was quite a mess in an apartment). Couldn't believe it. This thing bored a 7" hole all the way through the center of that bale of hay in one hour flat! I don't know if you have ever grabbed or touched a bale of hay before, but they are extremely wound tight. Never underestimate the teeth potential of a rabbit! Then, I come home from work one day. Turns out my husband had let bunny from hell out of her cage and had her barricaded in the kitchen (he hated seeing things in cages). Well, we had a towel hanging on the refrigerator door handle. Somehow bunny from Hell had chewed a large hole into the still hanging towel, and got her head stuck through it, and was literally hanging there when I came home. I mean HANGING there, choking, eyes bulging, etc. I saved her I think just in time.

So basically, I have to agree with what everyone has said above. Bunnies are good pets to have, as long as you know what you are getting into!

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!LOL LOL LOL
it just cracks me up whenever I read it!!! thank you Laddyzekke!!!
Old 09-09-2001, 06:48 AM   #27
Sorcerer Alex

Rodents are bad news. When I was just 12 years old, I got a hamster for my birthday. "Yay", one would be inclined to think. Not so. The miserable little rat stank out my bedroom, kept me awake ALL night with its scurrying around, escaped every time I tried to 'play' with it, chewed my television cable and basically made my life a complete misery. Needless to say, I was happy when a cousin relieved me of my responsibilities towards it.

I don't know if any of these things apply to rabbits, but if they do, you have my deepest sympathy, 250. I wish you luck

Old 09-09-2001, 07:08 AM   #28
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer Alex:
Rodents are bad news.
Hmmmmm ....care to rephrase that?

------------------
Regards

Mouse

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old 09-09-2001, 07:20 AM   #29
Sorcerer Alex

Oh, er, sorry Mouse

I'm sure you're of a more bearable breed, even though I don't know you well enough to be sure of that

Old 09-10-2001, 08:47 AM   #30
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
Bloody big teeth!
nono...It's "nasty, big, pointy teeth!" (heehee)

Really, though, trust us all who tell you, it WILL chew - on everything. If they don't chew enough, you'll have to take it to the vet to have it's teeth trimmed (no biggie) - but rabbits teeth continuously grow (like our fingernails and hair). You have to give them lots of stuff to chew. Wood blocks (from a pet store or Wal-Mart type store). Good hard bunny food pellets. Stuff like that. I had a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. She was beautiful and friendly. Sweetest thing! Oh - and you also need to keep their claws clipped, too. They don't 'sharpen' their claws like a cat would, but their claws get VERY sharp if they aren't anywhere that they can burrow.

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)