Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2004, 07:15 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

Not me of course, I wouldn't kick a man when he's down!

Ananova:
Australian men 'sad and bewildered'

Australian men have become the sad victims of a modern-day "crisis of masculinity," according to the man aiming to be the nation's next prime minister.

Opposition Labour Party leader Mark Latham said the latest generation of Aussie blokes were bewildered, uneducated and unhappy.

They are fast dropping out of school with lower literacy levels. Many overdose on drugs or commit suicide.

"Our boys are suffering from a crisis of masculinity," Latham said in a speech to the National Press Club in Canberra.

"As blue-collar muscle jobs have declined, their identity and relationships have become blurred and confused," he added.

"We need to give our boys a new centre to their lives, one grounded in community support and mentoring."

Before he became opposition leader late last year, the 42-year-old was best known for breaking a cab driver's arm in an argument over a taxi fare.

Since taking over the helm of Labour Party, though, he has wound back his aggressive style and produced family-oriented policies.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-18-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

I will be interresting to see what the aussies at IW thinks about Latham's ideas.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:05 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Unless they're too 'bewildered' to comment.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'd be more interrested in what the Aussie females have to say about this.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Unless they're too 'bewildered' to comment.
Absolutely - I hear a crisis of masculinity can have that effect. It might also explain their defeat in the Rugby and their sad capitulation in the Davis Cup recently.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 02-18-2004, 09:47 AM   #6
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

What the hell is this crap!
I don't know what to say about that, just
no

this is a family forum so i won't discribe Mark Latham, but he has said alot of things equally as stupid. WTF does he mean blue collar jobs have declined? so why would that increase suicide rates? Also most of the people currently using drugs are either in school or don't have jobs, so i really don't see how that is relevent.
"crisis of masculinity" "identity and relationships have become blurred and confused"
At times i have wondered if this man has a mental deficency now there is no question. It may just be my personal opinion, but you can't pin the problems of males in this country on "masculinity".
Old 02-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
What the hell is this crap!
I don't know what to say about that, just
no

Well I certainly don't believe him, no siree, not at all, never, not me, I said NO! Never in a month of sundays, I've seen Crocodile Dundee. I watch Mel Gibson (oh sorry, he was born in America) I mean Russell Crowe (shite - he's an Enzedder).
Old 02-18-2004, 10:31 AM   #8
Stratos
Vampire

Bring back Paul Hogan.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Get Skippy!

Come on now... we need some good photo ops of virile Aussie men to counteract this article! And we need 'em now! Where are you all hiding... let's see some studly shots to prove this guy's all wrong and you're still manly men! (hmm...why is the phrase 'manly men....in tights!' going through my head... Mel Gibson? No wait... Mel Brooks... oops!) *snicker, giggle, snicker*

dang it... I'm in serious need of sleep or caffeine...but those pinup shots of some Aussie men wouldn't hurt
Old 02-18-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'll bite for a second. At least we're not like the hapless whinging bleating Pommies who have the next Nobel Peace Prize winner ( [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img] ) as their PM... Donut, shouldn't you be worrying more about how effective the England cricket team's Geoff Boycott blocking tactics will have on their goal of drawing the Test series in the Carribean...