Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2001, 11:21 AM   #21
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeeke75:
Hey, Onthepequod!!!!

First, you forgot one critical sin that you can do with taking care of your lawn. Mowing it the same direction every time can make you the neighborhood outcast faster than leaving that rusted out Camaro up on blocks in your yard!!!

No worries! Being a fellow Minnesotan, I am sad to admit that I am just as guilty with you at the meticulous (and might I add ridiculous) caring of my yard. I use the excuse that I have two dogs, and trying to make my lawn look any better than it does would just be a waste of time.

I have never understood why people around here get so obsessed with taking care of their lawns. Maybe it's 'cause we only get to see it about 4 months out of the year!!!! But, I, like you, don't really see the point of mowing twice a week. I'm lucky if I get to it every week, and then it's even more hit or miss as to if I trim, clean up the grass, etc.

Actually, I do mow in different directions and diagonally as well. But I’m sure my technique is all wrong. I doubt I turn my mower at the end of each row with all the grace and poise a true Minnesotan would expect.

I’m with you, my friend. It would seem that there are better things to do with one time that to obsess over lawn (at least to this extent).

Old 05-30-2001, 11:22 AM   #22
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by bilqis:
Still, console yourself. Do not fret over what your neighbors think, for as I realized years ago ~ no one would notice how lovely the neighborhood yards are if they didn't have our sad, dry, sparsely-grassed lawn for contrast!

So stand proud onthepequod, we too are doing our parts to uphold neighborhood pride!

Good point. From this day forward I will hold my head high.

Old 05-30-2001, 11:23 AM   #23
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
I don't have a lawn (upstairs apartment).
I do think that having squares of neatly trimmed grass is a bit odd, am I the only one who thinks like this? (Obviously in Minnesota this would be considered heresy LOL!!!). When I see grass I like to see the flowers growing in it, and stalks with seed, that kind of thing. More like a meadow. If I ever have a garden, I will plant wild grass and flower seed to attract the insects and butterflies.

One thing we noticed when we were over in England, is how popular gardens were as opposed to lawn. This seemed odd at first but only because I’ve been steeped in a societywhere practically every house has a lawn. I am intrigued by the garden concept though.

BTW, we loved London.

[This message has been edited by onthepequod (edited 05-30-2001).]
Old 05-30-2001, 11:23 AM   #24
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
I just bought a house here in Virginia in October. I have turned my lawn from non-existant to a semi-weedy, mostly green, multi-level carpet since then. It is a royal pain in the rear. I refure to mow more than once a week and have yet to acquire all the gear needed to do the trimming, etc. That will come when I sell my car and have the cash to do it. This was much easier when I lived in Killeen, TX (farther SW than Sazerac) where it did hit 115 with fair regularity in July and August. Monthly mowing was nice.

I think all the lawn competitions are the result of neighborhood plants (neighbors) by corporations like Toro and John Deere. These people get paid to live in each neighborhood and use the biggest and best equipment made by their employer. Thus making their neighbors feel compelled to go out and buy similar products.

My personal little conspiracy theory.

Old 05-30-2001, 12:04 PM   #25
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I am a very poor Minnesotan, I live in an apartment. But, the grounds crew of the apartment mow our lawn only once a week. Should I file a complaint with my rental office

On the other hand, I was born and raised in SW Minnesota and my father was one of the obsessed! He would mow (or actually I would mow) the lawn twice a week whether it needed it or not. And yes, we would then sweep the driveway, sidewalks and streets and put all of the 'clippings' in a garbage bag for disposal. The fun part about mowing my parents lawn was the walnut tree! Every other year it would produce thousands of walnuts (it is the largest walnut tree in SW MN according to the DNR!). Have you ever seen a walnut shot out of the blower of a lawn mower? Our and the neighbors siding is covered in dents from flying walnuts and we learned very quickly to move any cars parked in the street

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 05-30-2001, 06:52 PM   #26
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
I am a very poor Minnesotan, I live in an apartment. But, the grounds crew of the apartment mow our lawn only once a week. Should I file a complaint with my rental office

I believe, by Minnesota law, this sort of behavior is considered cruel and unusual.

Old 05-30-2001, 07:15 PM   #27
Gaelic
Elminster

Ah! A conspiracy you say? I must include it, somehow, in my plans to rule the world! First, I shall John Deere under my control, then, all the lawns in America. The world should be a pushover after that.

Ack, there goes that damn internal monologue again!

------------------
Gaelic
Old 05-30-2001, 07:52 PM   #28
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by onthepequod:
[B] One thing we noticed when we were over in England, is how popular gardens were as opposed to lawn. This seemed odd at first but only because I’ve been steeped in a societywhere practically every house has a lawn. I am intrigued by the garden concept though.

BTW, we loved London.

[B]
Yes, flower gardens are what people crave here. Hardly anyone has just lawn, they like to plant and tend and have colour and scent.

My parents have a fantastic garden, quite large, with trees, flower borders, herbs, planted containers on the paving near the house, and a lawn (complete with daisies, dandelions and buttercups) with a sundial in the middle! They also have a tub full of nettles and other weeds that butterflies like to lay their eggs on, so they always have butterflies in their garden.

My dad mows the lawn when he feels like it, and no-one else cares how often he does it!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-30-2001, 07:55 PM   #29
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Yes, flower gardens are what people crave here. Hardly anyone has just lawn, they like to plant and tend and have colour and scent.

My parents have a fantastic garden, quite large, with trees, flower borders, herbs, planted containers on the paving near the house, and a lawn (complete with daisies, dandelions and buttercups) with a sundial in the middle! They also have a tub full of nettles and other weeds that butterflies like to lay their eggs on, so they always have butterflies in their garden.

My dad mows the lawn when he feels like it, and no-one else cares how often he does it!

That is so cool, Epona, about the butterflies! I never thought about having nettles and weeds. I need to try that here! We're in the Monarch Butterfly migrational path.

Do people in England plant vegetable gardens in the cities? My folks in Louisiana always have tomato plants, some okra, and some squash (summer squash, the yellow variety). One of the things I love most about the summer is going home and having fried green tomatoes (yum!)

Old 05-30-2001, 08:19 PM   #30
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
That is so cool, Epona, about the butterflies! I never thought about having nettles and weeds. I need to try that here! We're in the Monarch Butterfly migrational path.

Do people in England plant vegetable gardens in the cities? My folks in Louisiana always have tomato plants, some okra, and some squash (summer squash, the yellow variety). One of the things I love most about the summer is going home and having fried green tomatoes (yum!)

Make sure you keep the nettles in a container, or they will quickly take over.

Some people do grow vegetables, I certainly did when I lived with my parents, although that was nowhere near a city! It is not uncommon in rural gardens.

In the area of London where I live now there are hardly any houses with gardens at all, there is no space (I hate it here). People who are interested in growing veg often rent an 'allotment' outside of town - this is a strip of land with a little shed, surrounded by other little strips of land with sheds! It's quite strange, I don't know if this happens in other parts of the world or if it is peculiarly English!!!

I have been known to grow tomatoes and peppers in tubs on my balcony, but flowering plants are nicer as they brighten my little patch of concrete up... oh who am I kidding, nothing could brighten up my balcony enough to make me enjoy using it!!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas