Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2001, 06:01 AM   #1
niklas_26
Welcomed New User

Hi I have problems knowing how much the caracter improves when leveling up

exampel: minsk gained 1 Thaco and 3 HP when going from 9 to level 10

and my Fighter also gained 3 HP and 1 THACO.

Is this normal? it seems low to me
niklas_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 06:14 AM   #2
Rob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Up unto level 9 you gain a full hit dice. All fighter classes and subclasses that should be 10. So for first 9 levels you can gain 90 hp, 10 per level. This is of course if you have no bonus to HP for a very high Con score. 1 Thaco is normal for them per level up until they reach their max at like 19. At level 19 thaco stops improving but by then its like 1. That means unless you critical miss you basically hit everything. Now back to the HP madder. Past level 9 you only gain a faint amount of HP. For fighter classes and subclasses it is just that, 3. Its sad and pathetically little but by then you should already have alot. Other character classes would gain different amounts of Hp. Mages gain 4 per level, Most other classes gain either 6 or 8. Barbarians get the insanely good HP at 12 if I'm not mistaken. Even if I am I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:20 AM   #3
niklas_26
Welcomed New User

Thanks!
niklas_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 09:08 AM   #4
Sir Exxon
Zartan

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] WELCOME TO IRONWORKS, BOTH OF YOU! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:09 AM   #5
Rob
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Good to be here. =)
Old 12-04-2001, 10:35 AM   #6
Anarion

quote:
Originally posted by niklas_26:
Hi I have problems knowing how much the caracter improves when leveling up

exampel: minsk gained 1 Thaco and 3 HP when going from 9 to level 10

and my Fighter also gained 3 HP and 1 THACO.

Is this normal? it seems low to me

it sucks the amount of hps you get at higher levels. my only hope is that its been changed in TOB.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:42 AM   #7
Kaleban
Manshoon

The hit point system does not suck in my opinion, it makes sense really. If you look at it this way, a character can only become so tough before physical limits take over, and of course Fighter-types and Barbarians would be the "most" tough due to their intense combat training.

So as you grow in power, early on you're building muscle, strength, and endurance, but past a point, your body would reach its limit on what it can improve after slaughtering countless hordes of enemies for years.
Old 12-04-2001, 10:53 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

on a related note, i imported a paladin from bg1, 19 con (tome) (i spent alot of time rerolling hp's everytime i leveled for max, and had 120 hp's at lvl 8 (80 from rolls plus 5 per level from con) when i she came into bg2 she had 80 hps, anyone else have anything similar happen to them?
Old 12-04-2001, 11:06 AM   #9
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
on a related note, i imported a paladin from bg1, 19 con (tome) (i spent alot of time rerolling hp's everytime i leveled for max, and had 120 hp's at lvl 8 (80 from rolls plus 5 per level from con) when i she came into bg2 she had 80 hps, anyone else have anything similar happen to them?

I am sure you have seen this but it looks like no con bonus you could always go through Sk and upgrade this to it's 120. I think this would be fair since your PC earned those HP.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:56 PM   #10
Sinnestersteve
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, im glad I read this post, i've been going crazy wondering why my characters arent gaining squat for hp's after they reached the teens. Im gald to see that it wasnt a bug, of course im also rather disapointed in the lack of hp gains, but hey. I guess my mage just better make double sure he stays out of the way of ugly guys with big swords heheh.
Sinnestersteve is offline   Reply With Quote