Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-07-2004, 03:13 AM   #11
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

I once bought a silver ring from a stall in Camden market, and when I took it off, a few hours later, my finger had a ring shaped blue-green mark which wouldn't wash off. It might be the silver tarnishing, but I would have thought it would take longer than a few hours to do that. I think it could be some kind of allergic reaction.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #12
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Cloudy- Since I have two rings that literally never leave my immediate person, they get their fair share of scratches and such... I usually use a buffing and polishing machine for that (looks sort of like a shoe buffer, and not terribly easy to come across), and use the ultrasonic cleaner when I finish with that. For more delicate jewelry, the ultrasonic should suffice... I really don't know that much about steam cleaning.

Meg- Not to insult you, but is it at all possible that, through swindling or mere oversight, you accidentally bought a silver alloy of some kind? Was that the only kind of silver jewelry you ever wore? Metal *does* give allergic reactions in some cases, but I'm wondering if that was the only incident.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #13
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Possibly. I don't suppose stalls in markets provide particularly good quality, but every time I wear silver jewelry it leaves a strange mark on my skin.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:47 AM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Has anyone else noted that Nacht appears to be violating the cardinal rules of the International Order of Men, bestowing bejewelled bauble upon gem-encrusted gift to the woman he's sharing his life with? Doesn't he know what this does, changing the bar for the rest of us? I'd just worked my wife down to a kiss on the cheek, and here he is, passing out the glamor and the glitter.

*mutters*

I'm going to call the union on this one, lemmetellya....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:27 AM   #15
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Has anyone else noted that Nacht appears to be violating the cardinal rules of the International Order of Men, bestowing bejewelled bauble upon gem-encrusted gift to the woman he's sharing his life with? Doesn't he know what this does, changing the bar for the rest of us? I'd just worked my wife down to a kiss on the cheek, and here he is, passing out the glamor and the glitter.

*mutters*

I'm going to call the union on this one, lemmetellya....
Give him time, he's still a newlywed. He'll learn to pace himself soon! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 09:11 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL! Aww, now guys, hubby knows I love him even without the pretty shiny things although he's kinda fond of the thankyou's... [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/kissy2.gif[/img]

Dirty Meg, could your silver jewelry have been plated instead of stirling? My husband was saying some people are allergic to the plating but not stirling.

[ 11-08-2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #17
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Arrow

International Order of Men huh? Dang...do you think they'll make me give back my membership card?

Animal's right. It's probably mostly newleyweded-ness. [img]smile.gif[/img] What can I say fellas, I'm deliriously in love, and I like expressing it. Besides, aren't you supposed to do all sorts of silly romantic things in the first years of marriage? Although, as I told Cloudy, I hope I never lose the desire to do the silly romantic things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Meg...I can totally sympathize with you. I get funky colored rings from gold and silver jewelry. A doctor friend of mine told me that, in most cases, the reason people get funky colored rashes or skin marks is due to electroplating. If you buy anything less than Sterling Silver or 10k Gold, you're usually getting something electroplated and the chemicals that they use are allergically reactive with something like 30-40% of the population. If you have Sterling, and you get the reaction, then you're one of the lucky few who's in the 1/2% or so who are allergic to silver. [img]tongue.gif[/img] If it's the latter, play the Lottery. You're definitely owed something karmically for beating those odds.

"May the wings of liberty never lose a feather!"
Old 11-08-2004, 02:59 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Actually, Nacht, we just send all the bills for the troubles you cause over to you...

You might get a free pass in the first year of wedded bliss... just remember, every time you're buying her another piece of ornamentation, you can get the same mileage out of some flowers, and you don't raise the bar for everyone else. And the flowers can be picked up anywhere... the store... a guy on the side of the road... a cemetery that's close to the exit... [img]smile.gif[/img]

'Cause they talk, you know... first one starts telling her friends about how neat and wonderful and romantic her guy is, and pretty soon, it's making it's way back to the rest of us. And once that happens, we can never win unless we somehow trump every good, smart, and romantic idea you've ever had!

And lest you think that's not your concern, just remember... in seven more months (if my count is close to accurate), you'll have completed your first year, and some other guys is going to start raising the bar for you!

But until that year is over, enjoy. *THEN* we'll come and get you [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:34 PM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, best not let me talk to your wife then, Bungleau! Hubby is always bringing home a rose or 3 and doing sweet things..... sigh...*mushy grin*