Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-19-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I'm not so sure I would want this much power from a plug-in that also has direct access to and from the internet. However, it appears the latest from google is all of that, and a 'bag of chips'!

I know my personal red flag/light is activated on this, but then again I dislike any intrusion.

From a newsletter.

Google invades my computer
When I heard about the new Google desktop application, I rushed to try it out. It loads into your browser and looks just like Google's online search engine, but this app searches your Microsoft documents, Outlook e-mail, Internet Explorer history, and instant-messenger chats. I've thrown various searches at it, and the results come up fast.

I've always been impressed by Google. Back in the '90s I switched search engines frequently, from Lycos to AltaVista to HotBot, with various stops in between. However, Google has remained my favorite the longest, and no competitor shows signs of usurping its position. Considering the term Googling is used in books and movies now, Google has a strong hold on the public at large.

I'm not sure how necessary this application is, however. I generally don't need to use search functions on my computer, because I know where I've put things--my folders represent a filing system I designed. Still, if Google Desktop Search changes the way I use my computer, I would call it revolutionary.

Wayne Cunningham
Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:17 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I don't like the Microsoft version (aka the Find Fast virus). I can't see why I'd like the Google version.

If I had a version that could only access specific drive areas I told it to (my own personal filing system), that might be okay.

In any case, your firewall should be able to prevent it from leaving your computer... unless they're smarter than the average bear (which I think they are).
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:28 AM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

What does it do? Allows you quickly search for files on your computer?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

I removed it 'cause I didn't use it. There are enough methods to find things on the HD.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

doesn't matter much to me. it's nathan's computer so i don't dl things, and even if it was my own i wouldn't. i know where things are on mine. i don't need help finding them.