Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2001, 12:33 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was unaware at how differntly we talk as a nation, in comparison to the rest of the world. We (the US is a low context group, where as Chinese are a high context group. The difference is that the chinese can take what we say, more literally than we actually are implying, and the fact that for the chinese, what is NOT said can carry just as much meaning as what is.
An example of this is given in my text book about a speech from a US guy that was using the word Partnership...though he meant cooperation. When the Chinese officials saw this word partnership in his sign (before the US guy began speaking), they were very enthusiastic...because that word carried a great promise! When the guy actually gave the speach...he imlied that a cooperation was to be decided, and this confused all of the chinese, and they left the meeting less than satisfied...as though they had been lied to. On the other hand...the US guy had no idea why they would mistake his word for a promise of something that he had not verbally mentioned.
I can see how such a multinational meeting ground such as IronWorks could have trouble with it's membership in this aspect. We are all speaking the same words with different applications and understanding!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Larry_OHF (edited 08-29-2001).]
Old 08-29-2001, 12:38 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-29-2001, 12:39 PM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Is there supposed to be something in your post that I just cannot see, or are you cracking yourself up again???

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-29-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Is there supposed to be something in your post that I just cannot see, or are you cracking yourself up again???

Maybe he is afraid that I will misunderstand him...
Old 08-29-2001, 12:42 PM   #5
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

I am communicating the Chinese way, as per Larrys post!

Listen Epona, I have always thought _________________________

------------------

Old 08-29-2001, 12:51 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

(sigh) I suppose I should be serious.

Larry, too true. Very cool post. I learnt a lot about the Chinese when I was in Singapore. Very observant, very careful about anothers Manzhi (sp) or "face". They are beautiful people IMO. We can learn a lot from the way others communicate.

I heard that Australian businessmen in Asia during the early 1990's had the reputation as being rude, irreverent and disrespectful to Asians because of the egalitarian, non deferential, open and honest way they would communicate. I guess - hopefully - the Australians have moulded to whatever Rome they are in better, and Asian understanding of Aussies has increased since then.

I do admire many ways of the Chinese. We can all learn much from each other.

------------------

Old 08-29-2001, 01:28 PM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Very true Larry.

I've taken a few, taught a few courses in Speech/Communication. What makes the forum even more interesting is that there have been several different posts about language.

Unfortunately I haven't traveled very widely and so have not had much opportunity to "see for myself" how language varies.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:58 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I was unaware at how differntly we talk as a nation, in comparison to the rest of the world. We (the US is a low context group, where as Chinese are a high context group. The difference is that the chinese can take what we say, more literally than we actually are implying, and the fact that for the chinese, what is NOT said can carry just as much meaning as what is.
An example of this is given in my text book about a speech from a US guy that was using the word Partnership...though he meant cooperation. When the Chinese officials saw this word partnership in his sign (before the US guy began speaking), they were very enthusiastic...because that word carried a great promise! When the guy actually gave the speach...he imlied that a cooperation was to be decided, and this confused all of the chinese, and they left the meeting less than satisfied...as though they had been lied to. On the other hand...the US guy had no idea why they would mistake his word for a promise of something that he had not verbally mentioned.
I can see how such a multinational meeting ground such as IronWorks could have trouble with it's membership in this aspect. We are all speaking the same words with different applications and understanding!

whats the difference between Partnership and Cooperation?
Old 08-29-2001, 10:09 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Part of the problem in any online forum is not having non-verbal "cues" that aid in communication: body language, tone, pitch, timbre of voice, facial expressions, etc. Studies have shown that over 50% of "meaning" in communication is derived or implied from these non-verbal cues. We can do things to alleviate it, like using bold or italic to stress a word, or using the little smilies (although like as not those are as annoying as they are helpful!). Add to that a multicultural environment with different senses of humor, and it can be quite a challenge interpreting everything.

The fact is, this entire body of members "copes" exceedingly well with the limitations of an online "written-only" forum. Most of us practice "netiquette" very well and treat each other with mutual respect. Real communication can, and does, occur here.

------------------