Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

I have a couple characters who use two weapons, and I was curious, which hand should I put the stronger of their two weapons in?

for example, my blade (or skald, can't rightly remember) uses dual long swords. I have the Daystar in the left hand, and the Nabarra or something in the right hand. Now, I believe that the Daystar is stronger, so I put that in his left hand, since the Thaco is higher, i think.

what I'm trying to say, would I be better off with the stronger weapon in the off hand or the main hand?
cav_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 12:17 AM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Always use your strongest weapon in your main hand, offhand is best suited for weapons that can inflict an abnormal status on your opponent. For example, using a Longsword +3 in the main hand and the Flail of Ages in your offhand (because it can Slow your opponent and cause elemental damage).
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 12:27 AM   #3
cav_again
Manshoon

yeah, that make's sense. I'll probably switch then. But, are you sure that stat wise (I'm not sure how the stats and rolls and everything are figured), it's not better, though?
cav_again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 01:27 AM   #4
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Stat-wise, it's much better to put it in the main-hand, especially if you're a fighter. As a fighter-type, you will get 1.5 more attacks with the main hand. Also, you won't have any penalties with the main hand, whereas you will still have -2 (no-matter what) to hit on the off-hand.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:43 AM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

The mainhand gets more APR, so use it for the weapon which is best suited to getting a whole lot of attacks in. I usually try for a good Offensive weapon in the mainhand and a good defensive weapon in the off-hand.
Take for example [item spoilers]-
Daystar and Celestial Fury
Fury's stun ensures that for its duration all attacks will hit, and that you will not be hit by that person. Therefore, one hit is enough. BUT, I would put Daystar in the Offhand - why? Fury does more damage, and you will almost undoubtedly get the stun to go off again before the first one wears off. Daystar's Sunray is what makes it worth having at all in this case - stun a whole lot of undead near each other so they can't hurt you, and show 'em the sun.

Daystar and Mace of Disruption + 2
MoD always strikes as +5, and it's undead obliteration makes it instant mainhand.

Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven + 3
Ages slows opponents on every hit, Easthaven gives you physical resistance. Same APR, same enchanment, Ages does more damage. Mainhand Ages, especially against trolls and spellcasters.

Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury
Furys stun ensures that Ages will slow them down. Ages does more varied damage, Fury does more total damage by a negligable amount. Mainhand Ages.

Celestial Fury and Crom Fayer
Fury does more damage AND stuns to boot. Mainhand it, and the bonus damage granted by Crom's 25 Str affects Fury aswell.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 01:53 AM   #6
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Another good idea is to put weapons in the off-hand that increase the effectiveness of the main-hand.
[item spoilers]

There are several categories. Belm, Kundane, and the Scarlet Ninja-To (monks and high-level rogues in ToB) all add extra attacks to the main-hand, causing more damage and more chance for special effects. Also, you can use Crom Faeyr, and a ToB longsword in the off-hand, to increase strength, improving to hit and damage on the main hand. Finally, there are the more defensive offhand weapons, such as Defender of Easthaven (physical resistance) and the Equalizer (mental immunities.)
Old 10-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #7
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by True_Moose:
Another good idea is to put weapons in the off-hand that increase the effectiveness of the main-hand.
[item spoilers]

There are several categories. Belm, Kundane, and the Scarlet Ninja-To (monks and high-level rogues in ToB) all add extra attacks to the main-hand, causing more damage and more chance for special effects. Also, you can use Crom Faeyr, and a ToB longsword in the off-hand, to increase strength, improving to hit and damage on the main hand. Finally, there are the more defensive offhand weapons, such as Defender of Easthaven (physical resistance) and the Equalizer (mental immunities.)
Thats awesome. You make me want to have two dual weilding characters, one with belm and one with kundane, both in their offhands. imagine the APRs at high levels!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Why in Nine Hells did you ressurect this thread Klorox?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:41 PM   #9
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Klorox, man, its great that use the search function to find the answers to questions you have, but there's no need to be a necromancer, dude. We're all very glad that your excited about dual-wielding, and what-not, but please let things like these lay, and create a new thread if you have something important or new to add. (Which, sadly, you did not.)
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
Thats awesome. You make me want to have two dual weilding characters, one with belm and one with kundane, both in their offhands. imagine the APRs at high levels!
Bringing a thread up to the first page that had been buried for over a year just to say what you did is not a good way to participate as an active member of Ironworks, and can be deemed as spamming for rank.

I am told this is not the first time you have been asked to stop this activity of posting to buried threads. I hope this last warning will be the last one needed.

If you are suspected of spamming for rank, for example,
we can actually remove as many posts from your score as we see fit.

[ 10-22-2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote