Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2001, 02:57 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 05:56 AM   #2
Ziroc

Don't worry, even if Napster dies, you can go to the UNLIMITED amount of MP3's on Usenet, heck, I've been downloading from there before Napster came to be! I need to burn some CD's, I have 800+ MP3's taking up my E: drive!

These Music people suing Napster just make me not want to buy a CD even more now. If they had a decent price (and not $17.99) everyone would buy and I bet that their would be a lot less piracy.

I own TONS of CD's, but I usually look for deals. (usually between $9-$16)

Ziroc

Old 03-03-2001, 06:01 AM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry guys, but I am not unhappy at the shut down. I love music as much as anyone, but I also feel the artists are entitled to payment for their craft.
I don't go to the dentist for a filling and then walk off without paying, so why should I take advantage of the music-makers? I know, the labels get the biggest cut, but again, that's another reason to pay up and get some of my gelders to the one(s) who made the music that makes me happy! Of course, it's also why I don't own much music....(looks at empty pockets, sighs, puts Yoricks music on and smiles)

Ok, am I banned for life now, Ziroc? sniffle

ControversialCloud

------------------
Storm-Queen -aka The Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-03-2001, 06:06 AM   #4
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

ControversialCloud
[/B]
Naa , I understand they deserve payment, but $17.99 for a new CD is kinda high.

But I've only downloaded MP3's that I already own on CD, so I think thats ok.. that, and 'test driving' a track to see if you like it is okay IMO..

Ziroc

Old 03-03-2001, 06:07 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Sorry guys, but I am not unhappy at the shut down. I love music as much as anyone, but I also feel the artists are entitled to payment for their craft.
I don't go to the dentist for a filling and then walk off without paying, so why should I take advantage of the music-makers? I know, the labels get the biggest cut, but again, that's another reason to pay up and get some of my gelders to the one(s) who made the music that makes me happy! Of course, it's also why I don't own much music....(looks at empty pockets, sighs, puts Yoricks music on and smiles)

ControversialCloud

I'm not denying that at all Cloudy. I actually had a chat to Yorick about this when he came around for a drink before he left. Right now record labels have a lot of power over musicians, especially those trying to break out and be discovered. I believe Napster offers them an opportunity to get their music out there for the public to access if they can't get a recording deal because they don't fit the mould that labels are looking for. I still buy CDs of songs that I download from Napster anyway, as you can't really carry a laptop around and listen to music from it

I don't think you can be banned for expressing an opinion

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 06:11 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Don't worry, even if Napster dies, you can go to the UNLIMITED amount of MP3's on Usenet, heck, I've been downloading from there before Napster came to be! I need to burn some CD's, I have 800+ MP3's taking up my E: drive!

These Music people suing Napster just make me not want to buy a CD even more now. If they had a decent price (and not $17.99) everyone would buy and I bet that their would be a lot less piracy.

I own TONS of CD's, but I usually look for deals. (usually between $9-$16)

Ziroc
Ziroc, in Australia it costs $30 AUD for most normal CDs, $45AUD for imports. Divide that by 2 to come up with USD. And 2 years ago the government said that they were going to reduce the tariff on CDs, the labels all cried foul saying that the local music industry was going to suffer etc. Two years without the tariffs and the prices for imports are STILL $45!

That's pretty fukked up in my opinion

------------------
Old 03-03-2001, 06:20 AM   #7
Moiraine
Anubis

In France, the government has done a weird thing only several weeks ago : they have created a tax (7 FF - about 1 USD per CD) on empty CDs that will be given to the actors of the music industry ! Computer professionals don't altogether agree with this tax, since we use a lot of CDs to store data files not at all related to music. And it can have strange consequences : I have a friend who said to me "Before the tax, I didn't download music, now I will, since I pay a tax for that !". What do you think of this idea of a "pirating tax" ?
Old 03-03-2001, 06:23 AM   #8
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Ziroc, in Australia it costs $30 AUD for most normal CDs, $45AUD for imports. Divide that by 2 to come up with USD. And 2 years ago the government said that they were going to reduce the tariff on CDs, the labels all cried foul saying that the local music industry was going to suffer etc. Two years without the tariffs and the prices for imports are STILL $45!

That's pretty fukked up in my opinion
Reminds me of the time when CD-ROM games were about to come to market, people saying "CD-ROM's will significantly reduce production costs, and in return lower prices in stores".

Well, it hasn't! atleast not much, but heck, It hasn't stopped me from buying them, geez, I have like 100+ programs/game boxes in my closet-- my 'dust farm' if you will. hehe..

Now I've been seeing games for $39.99, which is better, but I personally know that a CD costs like 20 cents to make/burn, and that the box is around 2 bucks. (What you're paying for is the programmers fee, and advertising), which is fine, but I've seen some games that are $59.99, and I KNOW I have to have it, so I bite the bullet (like some music CD's).

Ziroc
Poor Webmaster - send all chocolate gold coins to:

Chocolate-T-Goodness
154 Catscratch Blv.

[This message has been edited by Ziroc (edited 03-03-2001).]

Old 03-03-2001, 06:26 AM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'm not denying that at all Cloudy. I actually had a chat to Yorick about this when he came around for a drink before he left. Right now record labels have a lot of power over musicians, especially those trying to break out and be discovered. I believe Napster offers them an opportunity to get their music out there for the public to access if they can't get a recording deal because they don't fit the mould that labels are looking for. I still buy CDs of songs that I download from Napster anyway, as you can't really carry a laptop around and listen to music from it

I don't think you can be banned for expressing an opinion

Memnoch: I'm not sure I understand what you mean about not being able to take CD's around with you with a Laptop. It's pretty similar to carrying around a portable CD player. I have a laptop and keep music stuffed in my bag. Some of them are regular Cd's and others are burned MP3's. Although I do not normally carry around my external burner, I can create CD's from MP3's on the fly. Now, you may be asking me why I would do this. I griped about this on a previous thread, but a lot of music that is stuffed on CD's are not as thrilling as the main song. I like to make a favorite's CD from other CD's and it's far easier to carry 1 CD than to carry 6 or 7 and only listen to a couple of songs at a time. I don't have them on my HD, cause I have a lot of other stuff on there. I'm gonna upgrade when I can afford it (HD's cost money). Then I may just leave the MP3's on there. My computer has a pretty decent sound system on it, but even if it didn't, I could get external powered speakers that sound better than a lot of other portable stereo equipment. Every once in awhile, when I am visiting a friend, I will ask if I can hook up my laptop to their VCR and get some music videos. (I don't have cable.) I record on medium resolution with a Dazzle drive and burn these onto CD's as well. I do like to BUY Cd's, but my only problem is that I have been away from music for so long that I really don't recognize what's out there. My hours are changing, so I really hope to get that to change around, but for now, making my own music is my only option.

Just to add this in case someone mis-understood from the above, I do not pirate music. I felt bad enough about Yorick sending me his music, but I do snag stuff off the airwaves or tv sometimes until I can get a regular CD. These files are not permanently kept anywhere. The videos that I have created are recorded onto CDRW discs that I erase to place another on. Most of this is for effect as I "snag" videos that family or friends may want to see. I do buy CD's, but because of my experience with them over the past two years, have stopped buying. Most of the songs that I bought were not my style of music and since I have lost touch with what music is out there, am not really sure what to get. I have never nor will ever use software/websites like Napster. I do not believe in that sort of creedo. I do believe in the web buy solution though and will try that when I am able. Just wanted to make that pretty crystal.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 03-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Tobbin (edited 03-03-2001).]
Old 03-03-2001, 06:29 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
In France, the government has done a weird thing only several weeks ago : they have created a tax (7 FF - about 1 USD per CD) on empty CDs that will be given to the actors of the music industry ! Computer professionals don't altogether agree with this tax, since we use a lot of CDs to store data files not at all related to music. And it can have strange consequences : I have a friend who said to me "Before the tax, I didn't download music, now I will, since I pay a tax for that !". What do you think of this idea of a "pirating tax" ?
Moiraine, that sounds totally bizarre. CDs are data storage, and data is made up of more than just music!

------------------