Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2002, 09:54 AM   #1
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

I just started a monk rescently because i thought it would be cool to maraud arounds killing stuff with my hands. Before i even got out of the dungeon i had realized that minsc was killing nothing, just taking my experience. I kicked him out shortly after and decided to go solo. I am currently in chapter two and have just maxed my experience...IN CHAPTER TWO. i thought that was incredible so i got the cap remover (im level 24 now). I feel like i am invincible... i thought i would test out my new found arrogance on Firkrag (or however you spell that). I walked down there (after beating the hell out the adam golems) and smacked that red dragon around the place. I had a critical hit of 79! after i stuck my foot up what i thought was the most difficult fight in BGII i had only accumulated 7 damage. well anyways...i have two questions.

1) the description only lists bonuses up to level 20 because that is the cap. with the cap remover will i eventually get more bonuses (for example +4 fists) or will i continue to just get the 3% magic resistance, THAC0 bonuses, etc. per level, or will i get no bonuses at all?

2) Has anyone else had as much luck with a monk as i have or did i just somehow get a supermonk by mistake?
Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

A level 40 monk (The max with a safe cap remover) will breeze through the game, having problems only with the likes of kangaxx. And we all know how to take on kangaxx. He will start to run into difficulties when in ToB, but it should still be possible.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:21 PM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

WELCOME TO IW! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

1. No, you will just continue leveling up, with the same added bonuses as you get when leveling up under lvl 20. You will get special abilities in ToB.

2. Hard to tell. [img]smile.gif[/img] I've had good Monks, but noone as good as yours. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:45 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
will just continue leveling up, with the same added bonuses as you get when leveling up under lvl 20. You will get special abilities in ToB.
Actualy you will stop getting Magic resistance bonuses at a certain point (85% or thereabouts) and the AC bonus slows down after a while as well.

EDIT: I hate HTML and UBB

[ 06-07-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 06-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #5
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
will just continue leveling up, with the same added bonuses as you get when leveling up under lvl 20. You will get special abilities in ToB.
EDIT: I hate HTML and UBB[/QUOTE]LOL. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, I wasnt aware of that. Thanks for clearing it out. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2002, 03:15 PM   #6
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the information but who is kangaxx? i've played the game through several times and am unfamiliar with this character. Is it in ToB? oh wait...does he involve lichs? I remember with my other game i would run and hide the moment a lich came in sight. but my monk had proven himself the be immune to everything they can throw at me. does this kangaxx person have anything to do with this "golden torso" i found earlier today?
Old 06-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #7
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Correct, Tiresius! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Kangaxx is a (Demi-)Lich, and a real powerful one. He is splitted up in two pieces, his arms/legs and his Torso. Now, as you have found the torso, only the arms/legs remains.
I'm not gonna give you the exact location, but a tip: do the Unseeing Eye-quest...
Old 06-07-2002, 03:31 PM   #8
Tiresius
Dungeon Master

Excellent! I was headed to that quest next anyways. now i have three more questions.

1) Am i gonna be able to kill this demi-lich? i have +3 fists, massive THAC0 and descent AC (-8) and i easily killed both dragons, is he much harder than them?

2) What do i get from killing him (if i can)?

3) Since i stopped getting saving throws bonuses and such, i was wondering if when i transfer to ToB will i get the level up bonuses? all i get for lvl up is hit points and worthless skill points that i never use anyway. will my saving throws stay the same when i convert or will it acknowledge that i am lvl 40 and adjust my bonuses accordingly?
Old 06-07-2002, 03:38 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

1)kangaxx *cannot* be killed by a solo fighter without special equipment. Protection from Undead can do it, or Protection from Magic. Protection from Abjuration as well, but you need a mage for that one. Monks natural magic resistance is no help since imprisonment bypasses it. And demi-liches get infinite imprisonment.

Note - do not use protection from undead on kangaxxes first incarnation. wait for the second.

As i said, easy when you have the right stuff.

[EDIT - its my day for stupid mistakes it seems. Demi-liches are immune to +3 weapons and below. Youll either need to level up to get +4 fists (level 25 IIRC, dont know if itll work w/o ToB) or youll need to get a +4 weapon and put up with the monks crap weapon profs]

2) Ring of Gaxx - awesome regen, +2 AC, +2 saves. Essential item for a soloer.

3) You wont get any advantage until you level up, so make sure you switch to ToB before you make your last level up.

[ 06-07-2002, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: andrewas ]
Old 06-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #10
Thelonious Sphere
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had a monk, I called him Thelonious Sphere (You have to be Jazz lover to undestand the joke), hence my nick.

I really liked him, though I never got to that kind of damage, but mine was just level 18 when I finished the game my first and thus far only time.
Mean fighter, nice fists, -something thac0 and -8 AC (with proper rings and cloak). Although I admit I just gave the Dragon my cash, since I wasn't going to use it anyway (hey, I finished the game the same day...).

I have to play again, and fight as much as I can, to max out the game...
\"because fortune is a woman, and if you wish to keep her under it is necessary to beat and ill-use her; and it is seen that she allows herself to be mastered by the adventurous rather than by those who go to work more coldly. She is, therefore, always, woman-like, a lover of young men, because they are less cautious, more violent, and with more audacity command her. \" Niccolo Machiavelli
Thelonious Sphere is offline   Reply With Quote