Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 09:44 PM   #1
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hi,

Currently my party consists of Minsc, Keldorn, Jaheira, Anomen and my PC (kensai-mage); we're going to be off to Spellhold as soon as we finish the planar sphere and Aran's tasks.

Much as I adore Jan and feel obliged to take on Imoen, what I would really prefer is take an additional fighter.

So my question is, what happens when there's no thief in the party? I know that Jaheira should be able to cast detect trap spells, but there won't be anyone to disarm it (come to think of it, it seems silly to even cast the spell in that case).

I suppose someone in my party just has to trip over it knowingly anyway?

Hope to hear your valuable replies soon

Old 09-19-2001, 10:00 PM   #2
dulouz
Manshoon

The best thing i can think of is having the person with the highest magic resistance trip the trap. Even doing that, there are some truly *deadly* traps in the game.

I don't think i could play more than 5 minutes without a theif.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Heh wow that is one melee intensive group you want to have
you end up might causing more frustration than good not having a thief though. all your big burly warriors taking trap damage all the time and all. Still it can certainly be done.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:08 PM   #4
Alaric
Manshoon

I would not recommend going completly blind. Knowing where the trap is could be helpful because some traps are magical in nature. I would move my party away from the trap and use the character with the best saves to approach and trigger the trap. That way if the trap sets off a fireball or another area of effect spell, most of your party will be unscathed.

Also, in order to open locked doors and other comnpartment, make sure that your PC (kensai-mage) can cast the Knock spell.

------------------
All the world is a stage and we are all actors playing our parts.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:10 PM   #5
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

The first party I took into ToB consisted of myself (kensai/mage), keldorn, viconia, minsc, sarevok, and edwin. No thief. And it wasn't too hard. Knock and detect traps help. And sometimes (i'm at a loss why it doesn't always work) you can trip a trap with a summoned creature, which is cool. Other times I'd just send keldorn in with his 65% magic res and high hp and hope for the best. So its definately possible, but with my assasin in my new party its much more fun.
Old 09-19-2001, 10:44 PM   #6
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Thanks everyone! I just might try that for fun (ie, going without a thief) and use all the techniques suggested above. Btw, can I break locks and doors if I'm strong enough (if so, could anyone pls let me know what is the minimum strength required)

I don't know if many pple feel the same way as me. I used to start out idolising spellcasters (wow, just look at the kaleidoscope of colour and sparkles!) and now I get so frustrated that they have to keep resting to regain their spells. Since I'm trying to break my previous record of completing SoA in 70 days (game-time), all this resting is definitely going against it

Anyway, it's nice to choose brute force, for a change (will be nice to see each party member holding his/her own against a monster rather than some hiding away for fear of being fried alive).

-----------------------------------------
"One more word about size, and you can forget it!" -- Mazzy
Old 09-21-2001, 05:58 AM   #7
Zbyszek

Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
Thanks everyone! I just might try that for fun (ie, going without a thief) and use all the techniques suggested above. Btw, can I break locks and doors if I'm strong enough (if so, could anyone pls let me know what is the minimum strength required)

I am not sure if pure strength is enough. My PC with STR=19 can not open MANY chests! (even at the beginning of the game - and if I remember well even Joshimo without any eq. or potions could open some of them). I would recommend one thief anyway.

Zbyszek
Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 AM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Why not thief? It will make the game boring to memorize all disarm/knock spells. Jan is a great character both personality and skills. Also Imoen does the magic things and thievery both without being multi-classed. Also you gain lots of xp by disarming traps lockpicking etc

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 09-21-2001, 09:19 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

You sure wanna make your life a living hell for your fighters huh?

How can you get the best items with out a lock pick? mages? Well, look at it this way

That one spell slot can be replaced with a more potent spell when you have a theif in your party. Not only that, you get to pickpocket, detect traps, or set traps to your liking. All in one! Instead of all fighters, might as well add in a backstabber

My two cents

------------------

You guys heard Chiharumut, whattabout Ba[H]eartamut???
Old 09-21-2001, 09:35 AM   #10
Keylow
Manshoon

Hee Floyd,

didn't Keldorn and Viconia go off and kill each other??

I heard they just start fighting after a while, no warning.