Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello everybody.
I fancied trying continual flame with my sorc, but everything I try and cast it on I get a 'this object is not valid for that spell' type message. I have tried equiping the item, putting it in my inventory, dropping it on the ground, magic items, non magic items, weapons, clothing etc... nothing seems to work. Either I am being very dumb, or missing a trick here, but hows it meant to work?
I have the OC and SOU installed.

I just want some equipped item to burn brightly forever..... (I'm scared of the dark)

Thanks
bavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hm, mostly I use it with the inventory open, and cast the spell on the desired item through the radial menu, or off the scroll. I've gotten that message by trying to just cast it on my char though.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nope, tried that, still no joy. even tried casting it on my boots. Does it change the description of the object once cast?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
banzai
Manshoon

Yes - normally I do this the same way as robertthebard. No problem so far with the items I used. But I can´t remember exactly which items I used this spell on.
But that shouldn´t be an issue too hard. There are items (rings, necklaces, helmets etc.) aplenty which already shed light.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yes, it will change the description of the item cast upon as well. You should be able to cast it on any item you can equip. In fact, I've been known to cast it on items in my inventory, to increase their sale value. Not sure where your problem is, but it should work. Try right clicking on the item, and selecting the spell from the radial menu on the item.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

CL can be cast on any item type that can be equipped, or on yourself (in which case it functions as an improved Light spell).
The item description changes to include the Bright White Light property.
My first thoughts to your problem would be that a) you don't have one of the latest patches. or b) you're playing a module where rules for CL spells are altered.

Because they increase item value, as Robert mentioned, and because spells are cheap, they tend to unbalance economies when players, say, buy an item, cast CL on it and sell it back to the store again with a profit. That's a reason for some to decrease the spell's power.

Can you tell us what you're playing, and using which version at that?

[ 02-01-2006, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Legolas ]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am only playing a single player game, but it the same in SOU and the OC. it is version 1.66.8074.

Thanks for helping
Old 02-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Stange; I use it too and have had no trouble. I do the same, open the inventory and cast it on an item I have equipped which I know I'll be wearing for a while.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Ok, this might sound really stupid, but what is continual flame? I remember coming across this before but can't recall what exactly it is. Mainly because I never gave much importance to various "light" spells and items.

Only played the OC so far. Is it something from outside the OC?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #10
Legolas
Jack Burton

Likewise, I ran a test and cast it in the OC, and despite us having the same version I can only manage to conjure up the 'not valid' messasge if I try really hard to find impossible constructions.
Equippable items in your inventory and items you have equipped currently should all be valid targets for the spell, even if they have light properties already.

ZFR, the CF spell gives items it is cast on a permanent Light property, of Bright intensity and White colour. It's a SoU spell, but can be cast in most any campaign including the OC. The property means it illuminates a 20' area around the character when and for as long as the item is equipped, kind of like carrying a more powerful torch. Illumination doesn't stack though, so having multiple items does no good other than to increase their market value.

EDIT: I should probably add that, when Item Level Restrictions are activated, casting the spell on an item can just make the difference between your being able to use it now, and having to wait another level.

[ 02-02-2006, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: Legolas ]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote