Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-21-2000, 02:11 AM   #1
Deadeye
Welcomed New User

Hi there all - I've read through all the questions and answers on this board and
found it really helpful... BUT there are a few things I'm not really sure on :

1/ I created a fighter as my main character and rolled until his strength was 18/92,
DEX 18,CON 18,INT 10,WIS 10 and CHAR 10. I've never understood what the 18/92 stat
referred to - searched the manual without success - no mention of this equation any
where! Can anyone explain how this works?

2/ Found Yeslick on the 2nd level of the Cloakwood Mines but I'm happy with my current
party so left him there. Killed the bad boy on Lev 4, got the goodies including the
"River Plug" and am ready to flood the mine... but - If I do this can I still pick
up Yeslick at a later stage or will he have drowned? Can you still enter the mines
after flooding them,(wearing my Wellingtons+1),or is it now closed off? Any ideas?

3/ I read in one of the other posts that if a mage had a high enough Intelligence stat
he/she would be able to copy any mage scroll into the spellbook.
I have Dynahier but even at Lev 7 she can't write "Melf's Acid Arrow" amongst others
into her book. Is there any way I can get these spells learnt,(using potions that
increase intelligence or something?),or is it because she's an Invoker?

4/ When I installed the game I immediately patched to 114.315 or whatever then realised
that the ring of Wizardry had been removed(bah!).Did the Ankheg armour buried in the
field also disappear with this patch or is it still there? Also,I have TOTSC,(not yet
installed),and the final patch for it(1.3.5512). Do these items return when this or
the patch gets added? In case you're wondering why I got "Tales" but didn't install
it yet it's because I read in the manual that it affects the thiefs chances of hiding
in the shadows and since I use this alot I thought I'd wait 'till I got nearer to the
89,000 exp.cap !

Sorry for such a long post - these questions have been bugging me for a while!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me with this...
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 03:47 AM   #2
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

I'll answer question # 1 for yah. In the AD&D rules there are steps between 18 and 19 strength. Only fighters can reach these levels of strength naturally.18/01-18/25 is the first step, 18/26-18/50, 18/51-18/75, 18/76-18/90, 18/91-18/99 and finally 18/00. the number after the slash is a percentile (1-100). when your strength is set to 18 in the character creation, if your a fight a random percent is added. the higher the step, the more damage you do. 18/00 is coveted as the highest strength a non-halforc fighter can roll naturally. Strength spells move your ability up through these steps before continuing on to 19 and above.
omegadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 09:20 AM   #3
Rikard T'Aranaxz
Harper

2/ you cannot return i don't know if yeslick is findable after that but you can't enter the mines

3/ it becoz she's an invoker meaning she can't cast or learn spells from the opposite schoool
a school melf's acid aroows happen to be in

4/i donno
Rikard T'Aranaxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 01:34 PM   #4
Deadeye
Welcomed New User

Thanks everyone - At last I can sleep soundly at night,(or maybe I'll just switch my
PC back on and play more Baldurs Gate)....
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 10:19 PM   #5
mir_ror
Welcomed New User

Regarding Qn. 4, the bonus ankheg armour found in Nashkel stays throughout all the patches, including those after TotSC (according to another forum user). Secondly, I believe the patches are 'cumulative', that is, they progressively patch up the game with each release (the patched TotSC won't return the Ring of Wizardry). Eg. installing TotSC will also patch BG up to the point of time when the former was released.

As for the modified backstabbing which comes with the patches, it does add additional realism to the game, ie. you can no longer 'backstab' your adversary when your thief is face-to-face with it; and 'hiding in shadows' in broad daylight is MUCH harder now. I'm an avid backstabber, so as you can expect, it has made backstabbing in the game harder, but not to the extent that it is an impossibility. One more thing, the patch also seems to have lowered the damage you get from backstabbing... - now this has REALLY annoyed me no end.
mir_ror is offline   Reply With Quote