Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-04-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
kartetse
The Magister

I've decided to follow the route where one goes to HoW before actually finishing IWD. I got there and started poking around, following the smaller quests before I actually went to the tavern. There I listened to some long, but interesting stories and then managed to stumble over a certain Mr. Stubbletoes (or what) and then summarily stumbled into ToTL! (Bright 'ol me got caught out there!)

I've got my save from prior to the stumble - is it advisable to tackle ToTL now or doesn't it matter too much? I've survived a dozen or so harpies (not that they were much!) and have gotten the task definition an' ol that.

'Tis ah goo' thang or a ba' thang?

kartetse

---------------------
do da do, kick da goo and stay outta da zoo...

[ 12-04-2003, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: kartetse ]
kartetse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Depends on your level and confidence (and patience).

From what I understand, it is not advisable to step into TotLM until you are at least level 18+.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:53 AM   #3
kartetse
The Magister

My Pally is Level ~13, I think (all of this is IIRC), my two cleric/fighters are levels 9 respectively, my thief is level 14, as is my Bard and my Evoker mage. I dunno?

kartetse

---------------------
Old 12-04-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
NobleNick
Quintesson

kartetse,

I agree with Dundee. Your guys are at the optimum level for starting HoW. If you want a real challenge, continue to TotLM, now. Otherwise, I personally would get as much expo and goodies as I could in HoW before moving on to TotLM.

The optimum (and latest possible) time to take Stubbletoes up on his offer is after you've declined the first offer you get to take a boat ride to the ___ of ______ ___, and have returned to Lonelywood and poked around for a bit. There are at least two interesting things to do and at least one item, available only on this trip to town, that can make your life easier in TotLM.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:55 AM   #5
kartetse
The Magister

Cool, I'll take your advice! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
I just hope I don't miss the clues for coming back to Lonelywood. Thanks guys!

kartetse

---------------------
Old 12-04-2003, 02:31 PM   #6
NobleNick
Quintesson

kartetse,
~
Vague spoilers ahead, on the general progression of HoW and TotLM.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

You won't miss it. It is the only water ride you can take, other than your cruise to/from B.I.; and it will be offered to you only after you fight an important battle. Decline the first offer you get, return to Lonelywood to solve a mystery or two, and then take your TotLM break. After you return from TotLM, say good-bye to Lonelywood forever and go back to the original offerer to collect on that boat ride.

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:59 PM   #7
Roboghost
Manshoon

Arrow

On a side note:

If you're playing in HoF mode, you will get slaughtered unless you're REALLY up there is levels (say...greater than 18).
A slight spoiler as to the toughness of those guard ghosts in the castle:
They can kick your best fighter’s arse one on one...even with a few buffs.
and...
The only way my fighter could go toe to toe was with a special mace and the bone belt that cuts down on slashing damage. I had a cleric stand behind him for buff & heal action until I got 'em all. But,...man…are they MEAN!
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote