Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 PM   #21
Marathon
Elminster

Even though it's a short game, I liked it. The combat system is really good, and some other things about it that were good (like the alignments actually making a difference). I'd definitely recommend it for $10.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Marathon, or anyone else, did you play this game with all patches provided by both Atari and the Circle of Eight? I'd like to know how it plays fully patched.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #23
Betelgeuse
Zhentarim Guard

first time through i only used official patch one. 2nd time the next official patch was out so i used that. never used the co8 one. only had a handful of crashes. if you save often enough, and being an rpg i'd say quite often it shouldn't be too much of an issue
Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #24
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

If you haven't bought it yet, PM me and i'll sell you mine for the cost of shipping. -- i.e. free.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:40 PM   #25
Milanthir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It was a decent game. Lots of bugs, but still playable (if you save often!). It does run out rather quickly, but I found that the challenge of trying to solo the entire thing with a wizard made it worth it.
Milanthir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:00 PM   #26
Marathon
Elminster

I just played with the original patch, but the only part that slowed me down was the fire node. Nothing game stopping, just very slow graphics in there.
Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:03 PM   #27
Albromor
Mephistopheles

You're lucky if all you experienced was being slowed down in the Fire Node. Too many people could not continue from there at all.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #28
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Yes it's worth $10, the combat engine is worth it. But it was sad to see such a great combat engine, that could have been used as a cookie-cutter for other campaigns ala the Gold Box series IMO, be bogged down with so many other bugs that it was basically abandoned and won't be reused. Not sure how I feel about giving Atari the $10 though at this point
Old 01-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #29
the mighty stamar

heres a good reason to get it right here

http://www.keepontheborderlands.org/

looks interesting

I think the engine of toee is pretty cool actually so if there was an actual game made for it it would be pretty nice.
the mighty stamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #30
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
So what's news Dbear, did you purchase ToEE? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Having just recently finished the game for the very first time, I have mixed feelings on it. The combat engine itself was an improvement over the horrendous tragedy of the Ruins of Myth Drannor (that game doesn't deserve the PoR in its title as far as I'm concerned) and I really enjoyed both creating my characters and the ambient soundtrack.

However, it is very short and the roleplaying interaction wise is fairly shallow, limited and weak compared to the might of the infinity games; the doyen of the isometric cRPG. I also suffered from a fair few game lock ups (some requiring me to reset the PC) and the performance degraded noticably into the node areas, late in the game, making me cringe in the attempt to get the mouse on the precise location I want it.

Personally, I think playing any of the goldbox games would take me longer and offer more enjoyment storywise - but that said, I had moments of fun with ToEE. The combat dynamics are quite well done and it made me very nostalgic for the turn based days. I might have to play Wizardry 8 or Devil Whiskey now as a consequence.

I'm tempted to write more of a review, but i'll hold back for now. Is it worth a tenner? I'd say that would be relative to the amount of value one has for their cash and the price one places upon the value of their entertainment.
(Give it a shot at least from a friend and see if you like it first maybe...)

Cheers,
CD
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote