Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey - just started playing with a new party. I took a 1/2 Elf Blade (duals katanas), a Human Berserker(8)->Cleric (dualing blunt), an Inquisitor (2-H swd), and a Swashbuckler(10)->Wizard (staff). Just wanted to get any ideas for using them. So far I am liking the 4 person party size. It's also nice to have a character who can use the bard-only items for a change. The Blade is new to me and is the bhaal-spawn character. Have not done much beyond CI, although I have gotten good exp from stealing/learning spells from scrolls since hitting the city.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Looks like a party that has all the basics covered and should go far! Just a minor tweak I would do:

The Berserker/Cleric. Switch classes at either level 7,9, or 13 with him. Also, I'd suggest going with a shield instead of dual-weilding for a better AC (nobody in your party can use the cool shields in this game either), but dual weilding the Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven is a wicked combo.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey - I was going to go over at 7th, but I think you get one extra Rage per day at 8th, so I took the extra level for that. I like the idea of that guy being able to use Rage mainly for the immunities.

I hope they will go far, I also have not experienced Watcher's Keep before so I am going to have to take a shot at it with these guys. I can be a chronic restarter though, so they'll need to make me pretty happy to prevent a re-roll [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

PS - I did also take sword/shield style with the Cleric proficiencies I got after switching over from Berserker. Basically depending on the situation he will either dual or go with some kind of shield and will try to specialize in all the blunt types of weapons.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

I agree with Klorox, in that I would have gone to Level 9 too with your Berserker for the extra proficiency and THAC0.

I'm a dual wielding fan for any kit that can put three pips in two weapon style, so maybe I might be at variance with Klorox on that one however. Sword-and-Shield-style is imho of limited value.

I'm a little surprised that you've opted for a customised party rather than using for instance Keldorn for your Inquisitor and Hear'Dalis for your Blade, as I think that the inclusion of pre-made NPCs will lead to a more interesting playing experience. They may not have 'power gaming' stats, but they're not too bad. Admittedly, it's not as though either Keldorn or Haer'Dalis exactly start the game with you in CI, but you probably wouldn't have had too many problems with getting out of the dungeon with your customised Berserker, Imoen, and the PC (maybe the Swashbuckler-Mage?).

Enjoy Watcher's Keep!
Cam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

You get 1/2 extra attack per round when you dual at level 13.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well I wanted the Blade as the main character; my Inquisitor this time around is a female, based roughly on an NPC from an old PnP game (I do like Keldorn but have had him before). And the Swashbuclker->Wizard gives me extra magic coverage and all the thief skills I really need. Basically I just designed them ahead of time to work well together as a 4-man team.

Just finished getting both dual class char's old classes activated (Swashbuckler was last, so for a little while I took Jan but now have dropped him and gone back to the original 4). Have finished the Copper Coronet slaver and Lilacor quests and Nalia's keep. Saw an interesting bug with her dialogue reactions. I had taken her into the party when I met her outside of the keep; then dropped her there again (just after having her read some scrolls). The only choice was to meet her in the copper coronet, so I went back there to find her after the keep was cleared. At first she acted as if she was just any old NPC, no mention of the keep at all, just asked if I wanted her back in the party. Then I let her join and talked to her, and she rattled off maybe 4-5 phrases that seemed like they should have been reactions she might have during the keep quest. She then needed to "leave this place" and wouldn't talk to me at all (I'd get in red letters something like "Nalia has nothing more to say to you"). So I took her back to the outdoors section of the Keep and she then seemed surprised by the surroundings again, but finally rewarded me for finishing the quest. Never saw her act up like this before. I also managed to save one of those servants from the trolls (the first one you see when you go through the secret entrance), but all he would keep saying was "save me, save me"
Old 01-16-2006, 02:18 AM   #8
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Gimli,

You seem to be relatively experienced already with a carefully tailored group, so I'm not really sure what kind of advice you're looking for. Just a few thoughts nonetheless;

Spoiler: Ctrl-A or click-and-drag-over-below to reveal.

I would be inclined to secure some cash for this group as a matter of some priority, as there are a few motivations for getting 'money-ed up' early:
  • Your Blade would inevitably want to wield Dak'kon's Zerth Blade that is in the Adventurer's Mart - given the few easily accessible and impressive Katanas in the early game. This is a purchase-only weapon.
  • There's a ton of other bits and pieces in the 'no shoplifting allowed' Adventurer's Mart that would benefit this group, such as; the Reflection Shield if you do use shields for your Berserker-Cleric (particulatly good against stunning bolts), Vhailor's Helm, Robe of Cheese, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, and so forth. Rings of Air Control are also handy items.
  • Two of your characters are magic spellcasters, and unless you like spawning Cowled Wizards for XPs, you might want to purchase a magic license to bypass street fights with these Cowled Wizards in Athkatla. It's admittedly a relatively small investment, but one that is probably worth paying for.
  • You might find your spell selection becomes relatively constrained if you linger too long in Chapters 2 and 3, where the better high-level mage scrolls tend increasingly to come from lucky random treasure drops rather than design. With a new mage, you'll want to build up your spellbook, and Level 7+ spells might be a bit hard to come by after a while. You'll need to get to Spellhold to flesh out your options once your Swashbuckler-Mage starts advancing to a respectable level, so getting the money for the boat ride should be of some priority.
One small side-quest I my view well worth doing early is helping Jermien build his golem (in the Umar Hills). The reward; Ilbratha, while at first looking relatively unimpressive, may prove to be of significant value to your Inquisitor for many battles through both SoA and ToB.

I would also visit Watcher's Keep and introduce yourself to the party that's waiting there, and at least be agreeable to their quest to the point where you get teleported to the top level of the Keep. From there you can purchase the Potion Bag from Sister Garlena. It's up to you if you wish to take the quest further or buy some of her other equipment.

[edit]Spelling![/edit]

[ 01-16-2006, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Cam_H ]
Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Hey Cam - thanks for the tips. I think I am in sync with you pretty much (have had the Blade steal alot for $$ and have some decent equipment, plus used scrolls for EXP). I also got a certain license to practice the Arcane arts

Have never tried Watcher's Keep, so that will be the interesting part. Not sure at what level I should be thinking about taking it on with these guys?

Basically though any tips from people who have played characters like any of the ones I have and might know them really well - ie, how have people gotten the most out of them. I'll post again as I play and try to describe how I've settled into using the party too to see if anyone can suggest any improvements. Seems they should compliment each other nicely but I am sure I won't take full advantage, am a bit rusty with BG II right now.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Cam_H
Zhentarim Guard

Gimli,

It's hard to know where 'hints' stop and 'cheese' starts, or where 'helpful advice' turns into 'spoilers'. Again, you seem to already have a good handle on the game, so I'm not really sure what advice you might find useful.

Again;

Spoiler: Ctrl-A or click-and-drag-over-below to reveal.

Watcher's Keep is a multi-level dungeon. There is a lot of experience points to be picked up in it, some good treasure, albeit there are a few items that cannot be upgraded until you get into the Throne of Bhaal expansion part.

Given that you are new to Watcher's Keep, I would suggest that the first two levels are do-able with a well equipped Chapter 3 party - but that's not to say that you necessarily should do them. Eventually Level 1 involves you initiating a ritual, and it will lead you to a few good weapons, although none that your party have put points into as far as I can see ...

... so you might opt to go in to the Keep, fight the baddies and search the Level 1 shelves and chests for treasure, and bail out before doing the ritual. If you choose to press ahead, 'great'. If not, 'great'.

I would say that I have found Level 3 to be pretty difficult, and I would suggest you hold off until at least Chapter 6.

One that you 'might' have missed;

Seeing that you know how to steal and seemingly don't have a problem with it, the Armorer/Fletcher in Waukeen's Promenade really is worth plundering. The suits of Flull Plate for your Berserker-Cleric and Inquisitor (allows you to wear Rings or Cloaks of Protection) and the 80 Arrows of Dispelling are of particularly good value to your party, while you might as well pick up any shields, Arrows of Biting, etc. that are available there.

A couple of other comments on your group;

As indicated earlier, the group is well balanced, and I'm not really sure what I can add that isn't already apparent. Your Berserker-Cleric will probably be your main tank, but with her good saving throws and decent AC the Inquisitor should perform well as the secondary front liner. I tend to use the Blade's offensive spin more than their defensive spin after appropriate buffs (I hardly ever use the Blade's Bard Song, but that may be just my approach). Your Swashbuckler-Mage would seem to be well suited to take on the traditional 'behind the lines' role of spell casting, and otherwise poor man's archer.

Your Blade will want Celestial Fury, and if you can do that before the boat ride, so much the better. I'm not sure if you want tips (cheese) on the (unmodded) Guarded Compound or not.

If you play with the AI 'on', you might want to put your Swashbuckler-Mage into the Thief (Scout) script if you have half-decent or better steath.