Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2001, 10:48 AM   #31
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Strong mod? I'm just being me.

I wouldn't mind a specific roleplaying forum, if Ziroc agrees. I'll raise it with him. That way all the different bars/abyssal pits/etc could all be done there.

Just a note on how it used to be - it seems a lot rougher back then to people reading posts now, but I think Rikard's point is that you can read those posts and take them out of context. They were made by people who knew each other and were just taking the collective piss out of each other. As the board has grown it's become harder to know everyone and therefore people have to be more careful not to offend. Just my 2c

These kinda things you cannot say when english is your second language (well i can't anyway)

And Larry
That was a question
Aren't i a Crazy man (and i like the word man) anymore?

------------------

The Rocks show the way

Old 08-24-2001, 10:58 AM   #32
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Having read through the posts, Rikard, Larry, Wolfgir: I understand fully where you're coming from, and I also support fully, along with Memnoch, the need for a "roleplaying" forum. I think that would be a great thing.

Taken in the spirit of what you are saying, I would have had no problem with those posts.

However, I also am convinced that those posts were NOT what I was referring to. I am talking about posts made back in November and December in which people were asking for valid advice and getting "flamed" for it. Something like "I have Nalia in my party, what spells are best for her?" and someone coming back with "You &^$*$ retard, what did you want to take that *$#&@F b***h in your party in the first place?" Don't quote me on that, since it's been a while since I've seen these posts, but that's what I'm referring to. There was certainly no roleplaying in that! I've seen less inflammatory posts on the USENET!

THAT's what I meant by the forum being a lot more friendly. You don't see those nasty posts anymore. I don't think your posts among each other (like the Evil Smiting one) were anything like that. Certainly not mean-spirited.

Cheers,

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 11:19 AM   #33
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Hmm, well, i aint as much of a jackass anymore....

Well, the old board was no less friendly than here, though newbies were much more hard pressed to fit in. (hell, look what happened with dear old evil smiting... my first post )

People did take a lot of it in fun, though i can see where Sazerac is comming from. In the end, this is the board now... like it or not.

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 11:24 AM   #34
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Having read through the posts, Rikard, Larry, Wolfgir: I understand fully where you're coming from, and I also support fully, along with Memnoch, the need for a "roleplaying" forum. I think that would be a great thing.

Taken in the spirit of what you are saying, I would have had no problem with those posts.

However, I also am convinced that those posts were NOT what I was referring to. I am talking about posts made back in November and December in which people were asking for valid advice and getting "flamed" for it. Something like "I have Nalia in my party, what spells are best for her?" and someone coming back with "You &^$*$ retard, what did you want to take that *$#&@F b***h in your party in the first place?" Don't quote me on that, since it's been a while since I've seen these posts, but that's what I'm referring to. There was certainly no roleplaying in that! I've seen less inflammatory posts on the USENET!

THAT's what I meant by the forum being a lot more friendly. You don't see those nasty posts anymore. I don't think your posts among each other (like the Evil Smiting one) were anything like that. Certainly not mean-spirited.

Cheers,

Ah the legend Nameless Flamers (OL and BB) you are talking about
They were flamers
Got Flamed themselfs for being flamers and they got Banned pretty soon
Has nothing to do with the board as it was
You cannot blame the whole for the actions of few
And well Flamers still come here
and they still get banned
You can't say a forum is bad because occasionaly bad sprout comes in

------------------

The Rocks show the way

Old 08-24-2001, 11:24 AM   #35
Redblueflare
Galvatron

And once again another great mod Sazerac proves his point. I wasn't around for the blue board, and i'm sorry to say i'm glad I wasn't. I don't like being flamed, and I don't flame other people. Rikard people still joke with the roleplay and know they're victims know it's a joke. (Look at some of Lord Shields posts and see what I mean)

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:26 AM   #36
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
And once again another great mod Sazerac proves his point. I wasn't around for the blue board, and i'm sorry to say i'm glad I wasn't. I don't like being flamed, and I don't flame other people. Rikard people still joke with the roleplay and know they're victims know it's a joke. (Look at some of Lord Shields posts and see what I mean)

The Only thing he hasn't proven to me was that Ultraboard did not have the Delete Post option as UBB does have

------------------

The Rocks show the way

Old 08-24-2001, 11:28 AM   #37
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
Ah the legend Nameless Flamers (OL and BB) you are talking about
They were flamers
Got Flamed themselfs for being flamers and they got Banned pretty soon
Has nothing to do with the board as it was
You cannot blame the whole for the actions of few
And well Flamers still come here
and they still get banned
You can't say a forum is bad because occasionaly bad sprout comes in

Indeed. I agree with you there. The posts, however, that I was looking at were riddled with them, and it does give a bad first impression. I'm glad to know that wasn't all it was back then.

However, it would explain, perhaps, what Azurewolf was seeing (and what I and many others I'm sure have seen since when doing searches for information in the forum).

Point I was making: it wasn't the roleplay that I found offensive. And yes, we've had some nasties wander into W&W before, and got themselves banned immediately. Difference is: we also removed their posts and threads.

------------------
Old 08-24-2001, 11:37 AM   #38
Donut
Jack Burton

I joined the blue board back in November and I can't recall any of these flaming posts. The only problem I remember was the return of 'bagger' but that didn't last long. I wouldn't have hung around if there were flame wars going on.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 08-24-2001, 11:44 AM   #39
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If Ziroc allowed it back then, then he allowed it. He did not have moderators to police the area for him, and so he wasn't able to correct things so quickly. The old board and its members did not have anything to do with the new order that Ziroc established. If we thought we could get away with it, and no rules were ever set in place (pre-moderator invention), then what rule was broken? We were allowed to run free to do as we pleased.
When things got larger, Ziroc saw the vision that in order to create a truelly successful board where things got accomplished, he would need a set of guidelines and police to enforce them. Thus, Memnoch was born.
Nobody has the right to say that the old board was bad, or a waste, or not well managed, because Z did the best he could with what he had.
I am thankful that he had the vision of a better world for us, but I will not condemn him for not seeing it sooner! The ones of you speaking against the old board in the fashion that you are, do not realize that you are (without words) telling Ziroc that he did not know what he was doing back then to let us all run around killing each other.

------------------

Devoted member of the Ironworks
Loyal guardian of the OHF
Member of the Ancients' club
Faith beset in The Rocks
(they show the way, you know...)
Old 08-24-2001, 11:53 AM   #40
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Point I was making: it wasn't the roleplay that I found offensive. And yes, we've had some nasties wander into W before, and got themselves banned immediately. Difference is: we also removed their posts and threads.
Again I Say that was not possible in Ultraboard

------------------

The Rocks show the way