Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2003, 05:34 AM   #1
elianne
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i know certain things affect other factors in the game
like constitution affects armour class
and intelligence affects learning spells (?)
but what is the affect of the wisdom points, other than having a required amount for your class?
elianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:38 AM   #2
Jan

Higher wisdom = better saving throws.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:12 AM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Wisdom = Cleric/Druid capabilities, they get spell bonuses if they have high Wis, and get saving throw bonuses against magical attacks. It is somewhat important to every character, IMO.

Constitution does not affect Armor Class. Your armor class increases due items, mails, spells and such. Read below:

Constitution
Your character's constitution determines his or her resistance to injury and disease, as well as their stamina and physique. It's also critical during tremendous occurences, such as resurrection, and is no doubt one of the most important attributes for any character. The attribute affects the longevity of a character, granting them a hit point bonus for high scores or a penalty for low. For warriors playing 2nd edition rules, a constitution above 16 means an even greater hit point bonus, which, if calculated over several levels, means a huge gain in health over a character with a lower costitution. Make no mistake, without constitution a character might not live long enough to enjoy his other attributes."

[ 01-16-2003, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 01-16-2003, 06:15 AM   #4
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

Does wisdom really effect saving throws? I once compared 2 imported characters of the same level, going from bg1 to bg2. One had significantly lower wisdom but their saving throws were exactly the same.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:20 AM   #5
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ozzman:
Does wisdom really effect saving throws? I once compared 2 imported characters of the same level, going from bg1 to bg2. One had significantly lower wisdom but their saving throws were exactly the same.
It gives immunity to mind altering spells only at score of 19 and after.. gives more efficient immunities as the score rises up.

But it should alter your magical defense adjustment starting from level 15.. +1/+2/+3 and +4 with score of 18. Im not sure if this has been implemented to the game, but logically it should because it´s taken from 2nd edition rules.

EDIT: Typos and false information & more typos..*sighs*

[ 01-16-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 01-16-2003, 07:08 AM   #6
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

The bonus to the saving throw for high wisdom - I think that applies only to a priest (clerec and druids), as far as I remember the AD&D 2nd edition rules.

As for the adjustment of armour class (AC), only dexterity has an effect. With a Dex of 18 you get +4 to your AC (infact this value is going to be subtracted from your AC, to get a better AC with high dex).

Insane
Old 01-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #7
Grungi
Banned User

one thing i found is even if you give soemone con of 25 (using gatekeeper) if they arent warrior their bonus to hps is barely affected, with warriors its a huge bonus for every extra point of con, which i think is a bit silly as con is con regardless of class, if your 25 con you should be equal to someone else with 25 so be able to take roughly the same amount of damage.
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:58 AM   #8
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

According to AD&D 2nd edition rules you will only get a bonus for high CON up til a CON of 16 if you are a non fighter (+1 to HP at CON=15 and +2 to HP at CON=16). If you are a fighter it is a different story.

Constitution is not only used when calculating HP. It is also used when you have to find out how well you handle ressurection, exhaustion by hard work, a warm climate, etc.

I see the HP figures not as how many hits you can take before you are 'cut in halfs' but more as how much 'action' you can handle before you 'give up' and take the final blow. Everytime you loose HPs it means that you get a scratch, sprain a limb, strain a muscle etc. Things that cause you pain and things that makes you an easier target to the final (and killing) blow. Remember - You can regain lost HPs by natural healing when resting. If you are in a tough figth you could easily have to rest for 14 days (without magical healing) before you have regained all your HPs. If your stomach is wide open due to a mighty blow from an ogre, and one of your arms are only connected to your body with a small lump of skin, you are not able to recover in 14 days.

I see the reason why fighters gets higher bonuses to their HP is that fighters are trained to ignore pain from scratches and small wounds. In their training with their sparring partner, it is very common that they get (and deal out) a lot of scratches and bruises, even broken limbs.

The same goes for the Strength ability. Fighers can have exeptional strength (18/XX) due to their hard physical training.

Insane
Old 01-20-2003, 07:47 AM   #9
Grungi
Banned User

exceptional strength yes, but thats showed on the profile as 18/99 so stronger than 18, that i can accept, but i feel if a mage has con 19 and a warrior has con 19 then okay the warrior has learnt to use the con better BUT a mage con 19 should be equal then to a warrior con 20 and enable them the equivalent hps gain or at least nearer than it currently, i just think the gap is way too big.
Grungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #10
InsaneBane
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Grungi:
exceptional strength yes, but thats showed on the profile as 18/99 so stronger than 18, that i can accept, but i feel if a mage has con 19 and a warrior has con 19 then okay the warrior has learnt to use the con better BUT a mage con 19 should be equal then to a warrior con 20 and enable them the equivalent hps gain or at least nearer than it currently, i just think the gap is way too big.
What about the dice you roll, when rolling for HPs? Fighter: 1d10, Mage: 1d4

A fighter gets (10+1)/2=5.5 Hps each level gained, while a mage only gets (4+1)/2=2.5 HPs each level gained. Compare a mage and a fighter both with 15 in constitution. The mage gets 2.5HPs + a bonus of 1 = 3.5 HPs on average each level. This is a bonus of 1/2.5=40% due to the high CON. The fighter gets only a bonus of 1/5.5=18%.

You see. I can easily argue that it is the other way around.

There are also other ability scores that makes special benefits to one class/race:

As far as I remember from the AD&D 2nd edition rules:

High CON gives better saves to a dwarf.
High Wisdom gives better saves to a priest.
High dex gives bonus to climbing and move silently to a thief and a ranger.

Insane