Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 06:51 PM   #1
Brennihelvete

I just moved onto the North forest and encounterd some of these giant creeps.
I thought impressive size and all that but you wont stop me...To hits and keldorn with 132 Hp was dead, 2 more hits and so was valygar with -7 ac.

I took them out with Aerie and Imoen...Aerie casting project image, and protection from magical weapons on the project image, then Imoen cast Spell sequencer with Greater Malison, Web and Lower resistance.
While the guys were stuck in the web the project Image cast Harm and did most of the work for my archer and Imoen with MMM...

Got two of them down, but how many are there trought the game? My fighters dont stand a chance to them And I dont want to rest every time I facethem to re memorize my spells...

Any other hints on their weaknesses?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:20 AM   #2
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

well i cant do anything much since im more of a mage/thief player. for your fighers, i guess you just have to buff/max them as best as you can. (with regeneration rings) [img]smile.gif[/img]

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 04:23 AM   #3
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

**Minor Spoiler here**
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
If you're on your way to the marching mountains you will be in for a heck of a fight with about 6 or 7 of them! I don't know who else you have in your party but some cleric/druid spells can really help you. First off you'll want to have Defensive Harmony[4th level for clerics and druids]. It lowers the AC of everyone in your party by 2. Now if you do have a druid your highest level insect spell will work great[insect plague or especially creeping doom] Now as far as the mage spells go, Horrid Writing works very well and if you have Comet it works great as well. You may also want give a character who uses a 2 handed weapon or a 2 weapons style - a single weapon and a shield to further improve your AC. I also believe there is a helmet that gives you additional protection against blunt damage as well as the girlde of bluntness [you get that in SoA i think] that will help you since most fire giants use their fists. Good Luck!

[ 01-08-2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: The Ozzman ]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:19 AM   #4
Jan

Spoiler!

He he. Nice little trick coming. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a wand called "Wand of fear". Just use this one and they will walk around like big babies and you can focuse on just 1 giant at the time.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Brennihelvete

THanks allot, Im lucky to have 3 spells of Defensive Harmony memorized, I also Got Insect Plague and Abi Dhazimx3 ina Chain COntigenzy... Both of my fighters got regeneration rings, but that doesnt help much since two blows is their death anyway. I'll repleace Celestial Fury with the Saving Grace Shield on Valygar. He will have like -12 AC then and Crom Fayr to show them darn Firegiants to show whos the Boss... Ill beef up the attack with defensive harmony and destructive spells... Oh and I just come to think of the Hardiness sepell that gives my fighter 40% Physical Resistance... That should do it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by Jan:
Spoiler!

He he. Nice little trick coming. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a wand called "Wand of fear". Just use this one and they will walk around like big babies and you can focuse on just 1 giant at the time.
Really?? HAH, I just happen to have two of them in my bag of holding [img]smile.gif[/img] I tried the wand of paralyzation but to no help...Thanks for the tip...sounds a little cheesy though but if all else fails, I'll go for that [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #7
Alson
Galvatron

Fire Giants are melee monsters, and nothing more.
That is both their advantage and disadvantage.
Use this to your advantage:
  • Summons. Use Aerie or Imoen to summon as many Mordekainen's Swords as possible.
    Haste them, and send them to melee the Fire Giants. They are immune to the Giants' damage.
  • Snipe 'em. The Giants are not fast. A hasted character (Boots of Speed, Oils of Speed, Haste, etc) with a decent THAC0 and a Missile weapon can easily snipe them one by one.
  • Nuke 'em.Cast Chain Contingency with Imoen (or Aerie if her level is high enough), and fill it with x3 Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting. Condition : Enemy Sighted.
    Aerie should also fill Sequencers with Holy Smite.
  • Slay 'em. The average Fire Giant has a Save vs. Spell score of 7. With the help of Greater Malison, that would be 11. Now, cast Finger of Death (Imoen and Aerie have it). FoD gives a -2 save penalty - so the chance of slaying them is 65%. Not amazing, but not shabby, too.
  • Vorpals. If you have no choice and you must fight them hand-to-hand, use Vorpal weapons (The Silver Sword and Keldorn are a fine pair). They are not immune to Vorpal hits, and their saves aren't very good.
Let us know if you still encounter difficulties. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-08-2003, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Alson ]
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 05:11 PM   #8
Brennihelvete

Well I took them out with fighters. I put a shield on valygar and cast defensive Harmony. He now had an AC of -13. Keldorn Had an AC of -3. Keldorn and Valygar Casted Hardiness and they both got themself A pair of the boots of speed. Valygar took a few blows but was only lost 50% of his hitpoints. They both falled pretty quickly.

Next time ill try the finger of death [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
btw will death spell do just as good?
Oh and yes I noticed theyre pretty slow. My elven Archer could probably take them out with hit and run tactics. He got a dozens of them +3 arrows and he got the mana bow +4 and Grand Mastery in longbows. A few called shots and I guess they will be history [img]smile.gif[/img]

Im impressed though how much damage they deal. Must have been 50-60 of each blow(this is on Insane). Hardiness helps allot though since the damage is reduced by a whooping 40% [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 04:26 PM   #9
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally left out by Alson:
  • Backstab 'em. A Stalker or Thief with a decent THAC0 and a good running speed can have a grand old time against them--Fire Giants have a lousy AC, and seeing them fall to the might of the Pixie Prick is sheer comedy. Note: Later on, you will see Fire Giants accompanied by Fell Cats, which can see (smell?) invisible units.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:05 PM   #10
Brennihelvete

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
quote:
Originally left out by Alson:
  • Backstab 'em. A Stalker or Thief with a decent THAC0 and a good running speed can have a grand old time against them--Fire Giants have a lousy AC, and seeing them fall to the might of the Pixie Prick is sheer comedy. Note: Later on, you will see Fire Giants accompanied by Fell Cats, which can see (smell?) invisible units.
[/QUOTE]Hehe thanks for the tip