Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Default Console Conundrum....

Ok, so about 2 months ago I decided to upgrade from my Xbox One to the One X. Worked great for 3 weeks. Then the Ethernet connection got really funky. Then, only wifi connected properly. I decided it was a faulty Ethernet port on the One X, after all, my Xbox One had no issues. Did advanced exchange with Microsoft. New console arrives, I hook it up, all is right with the world. Ethernet port connects, no issues, for three days. Same problem repeats as before. Ethernet stopped functioning correctly, wifi no issues. Brought the One X to a friends house, plugged it into his Ethernet cable, connects without any issues. Currently for my internet I'm using a Motorola gateway. Not sure what the precise model is off hand.

My friend believes it is the gateway itself that is the issue, and I can't argue with that at this point. But is it a hardware failure or might it be related to settings in the gateway's software?

And even if it's the settings, why would it work without issues for a period of time and then just decide that now it's not gonna connect properly?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Console Conundrum....

Do you have a search protector or is it plugged directly to the router?

-Search protectors are known to cause issues.

Try doing a soft reset of the console - by pressing the power button down for 10 seconds.

-Reason for this is that sometimes downloads with important fixes are not prompted by the maching depending on settings.

As to the router itself I know not enough about it to say for sure - but it sound plausible that some setting is off - I don't think it's faulty if normal internet works though!

Hope you'll get it to work!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Resetting the console helped for the first week of issues, then it ceased to remedy the situation.
That's the most perplexing thing about this issue. Initially, everything worked without problems. After a time it stopped working, which is part of what made me think it was the console initially. But it connects via Ethernet perfectly at my friends house.
Power cycling the router has hit and miss results.
As far as I can tell, it's either the settings in the router or the router itself is faulty, or it could need a firmware update.
I don't think the router is faulty though. My TV is connect by Ethernet and has no trouble streaming content.

A couple of suggestions I've read on another forum include, copying the network settings from when the xbox is on WiFi connection and manually entering that info for the wired connection. I have my doubts about that suggestion, but it's worth a shot. The other involves messing with advanced settings in the router. Making sure UPnP is enabled, among other things.

Worst case scenario, I settle for playing with just WiFi. Not optimal, but it could be worse.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 04-12-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok, it appears that I've found the solution. A post on another forum, with a similar problem, found that going into the advanced options in their router and enabling the UPnP
setting solved their issue.

I just tested it on my machine. And so far, it seems to have done the trick. Who knew one single setting could have that kind of impact.

Thanks to all who looked into a possible solution.
Thank you specifically to Sparhawk for the reply.

Follow up puzzle, When I test my multiplayer connection through the xbox, it says NAT type is Unavailable. When I test my NAT type, it says NAT type is open. On the network settings screen it also says NAT type Open.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 04-13-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok, disregard the entire previous post. With the exception of the Thanks.

It would seem that single change was not the golden fix. Powered up the console from a full shutdown after 10 minutes. Would not connect to live through Ethernet.
Network status says xbox.com/xboxone/Teredo

Oy, this is not what I call a fun day.

Update:
Ok, so going through microsoft's troubleshooting page. Told me to check my IP address in the router settings with the IP address the internet says I have. If the addresses match I have a static IP address which is a good thing in this case. If they're different I don't have a static IP address which can cause problems according to the troubleshooting guide. My router apparently has an IPv4 and an IPv6 address. The IPv4 matches, but the IPv6 does not. Which IP address matters in this case?

Further Update:
Power cycled the gateway after enabling the UPnP setting, and then running into the same problem. It appears to be operating as intended, so far. Started up console. Logged me in immediately, connected to Xbox Live immediately. Here's hoping for the best.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 04-13-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Status update.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok, it would seem I'm full of premature celebrations on this one. Rebooted my xbox last night, and it wouldn't log me in or connect with xbox live. Network status message was something about the DNS not being able to reconcile the Xbox server address.

Yay, more trouble shooting. Maybe I should just throw in the towel and stick with the Wi-Fi which has no trouble connecting?

This is the gateway device I'm having to deal with right now. Not sure if that may shed some light on the issues I'm experiencing.

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 04-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Ok, so basically I ended up trading up for a new all-in-one modem router. So far it seems to be working without issue. Which leads me to believe the issue was in fact with the internet device. But specifically what that issue was I am unsure.

One possibility is that the Motorola was seeing the Xbox ONE X as the Xbox ONE, but certain addressing information didn't match up so it created an issue. In theory, I suppose the issue 'could' have been resolved by deleting the Xbox from the router, and having it reconnect. After all, my TV had been wired to the same router without any problems only the Xbox when I upgraded started having an issue.

Another possibility was that the router was just cheap and certain parts were beginning to fail. I find this option the least convincing, as it was very specific about which device was experiencing the problems, even when switching ethernet ports and cables.

I don't know much about networking or how the routers recognize devices, so this is pure guess work on my part. For the most part I like my tech to just do what it's supposed to do when I plug it in.

For the time being, things seem to be functioning as expected.
So, happy news for now.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The Router would most likely identify the Xbox through it's MAC address so it shouldn't confuse the two.

The device doesn't sound so bad from its list of features. But it is weird you were getting DNS issues with it. I wish I had seen your posts sooner... I could probably have helped.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

That's very odd but at least it's fixed.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote