Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Default Child Named after Hitler is refused cake

Original article here

EASTON, Pa. (WABC) -- Three-year-old Adolph Hitler Campbell is cute, cuddly and, for now, blissfully unaware of the shock value conveyed by his first and middle names. That may be changing, though.

The youngster was at the center of a recent dispute between his parents and a local supermarket that refused to spell out his name on a cake for his birthday party last weekend. A story in a local newspaper prompted an outpouring of angry online responses directed at Heath Campbell, 35, and his wife Deborah, 25.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," he continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite in Greenwich, just east of downtown Phillipsburg on the western edge of New Jersey. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

But spokeswoman Karen Meleta told The Easton Express-Times for Sunday's editions that the Campbells' request was considered inappropriate.

The Campbells ultimately got their cake inscribed at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically either. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."

----------
Sounds to me like daddy's got a bit too much admiration for the old Aryan Nation. I hope when the kids grow up they decide to officially change their names and drop the Nazi references, though they won't really be noticeable unless the kids use their middle names.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Child Named after Hitler is refused cake

For the child sake I hope the name changes sooner or later.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

You know, there's a.. I dunno, million+ names out there. If I grew and then found out who I was named after, I'd deck the old man. ..course, I'm German, so I probably feel it more. It's kinda like naming your son Jesus. I kinda struggle with that...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration...

JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months...

The guy is saying he's not racist, but he is at least anti-sematic...of which he has not denied...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

If the childrens name are any indication, he is a closet neo-nazi.

neo-nazi <--> racist. Is there really a difference?

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I like that the store has refused similar things for the past couple of years, including adding swastikas to the cake. I guess he's not getting smarter yet... although the Walmart that *did* decorate the cake is now going to review its policies...

Every day, I hope that this kind of crap will end. One day, my hopes will be realized...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

So it *was* a lie...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

They should have just named him Sue.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
They should have just named him Sue.
LOL i was angry at the story and then I read this, thanks Elfbane for making me laugh!

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #10
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

No problem wellard! I'm just glad someone else remembers the song! BTW, I posted a link in my reply to your BG2ToB post,,the "X appears busy" one.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote