Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: New anti-piracy law...in FRANCE!!

Also, it's hardly scanning harddrives, but rather, monitoring the downloads as they take place, such as torrents and torrent sites being watched (which goes on currently) but with the added action of a violation if one is seen being downloaded by your IP. But nothing more intrusive than recording your IP address for its location, which is done by thousands of sites already (any site where you shop online, for example).
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Cool Dude Re: New anti-piracy law...in FRANCE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Also, it's hardly scanning harddrives, yet
fyp

The western people's acceptance of soft authoritorian-prohibitionist-surveillence-police state combined with many P2P networks going dark in light of aggressive moves like this means a future where tehy will be scanning.

For the love of liberty on my planet I can't merely hope the wrong people don't come into power after giving the government too much. Do not give the government too much power to begin with is the only way to go and an easy thing to advocate.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 05-21-2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: 2 to two too tu
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Sheesh.... last I checked France was run by the people, not a King.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
fyp

The western people's acceptance of soft authoritorian-prohibitionist-surveillence-police state combined with many P2P networks going dark in light of aggressive moves like this means a future where tehy will be scanning.

For the love of liberty on my planet I can't merely hope the wrong people don't come into power after giving the government too much. Do not give the government too much power to begin with is the only way to go and an easy thing to advocate.
Agreed.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

There's alot of acts regarding intellectual property and the Internet being passed or discussed in Europe right now; IPRED, ACTA, the EU Telecoms Reforms package.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
Chewbacca
Zartan

Light Bulb Re: New anti-piracy law...in FRANCE!!

New law struck down in French court:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...ses-it-out.ars

exceprt:
Quote:
France's groundbreaking "three strikes" law that would disconnect repeat Internet file-swappers has been overturned by the country's Constitutional Council. "Innocent until proven guilty" still means something in France.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #17
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I don't get how the three strikes law would take away innocence until proven guilt, though. If you have 3 strikes, it's because you were pirating. Same way if you are caught speeding, you get a ticket.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: New anti-piracy law...in FRANCE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I don't get how the three strikes law would take away innocence until proven guilt, though. If you have 3 strikes, it's because you were pirating. Same way if you are caught speeding, you get a ticket.
Well, you're only guilty of piracy if they build a case against you, take it to the court and you are judged guilty. Just getting your ip logged on a torrent site isn't due justice.