Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-11-2001, 06:35 AM   #1
Sir Moosington
Dungeon Master

OK time for a grumble. I cannot understand why people rave about Yoshimo. If his primary use is for detecting traps, picking locks and sneaking about, wouldn't you be better off with a multi - class?

With a decent dexterity most of the useful skills can be maxed out pretty early on and all those extra levels just give you a few more hit points and a slightly lower THACO.

I think Jan is a much better option. He's a great thief, good MU and is funny. Plus he doesn't betray and get his heart ripped out.

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

------------------
Supreme executive power comes from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony
Old 09-11-2001, 06:57 AM   #2
Skunk
Banned User

Not sure about this one. I play by D&D rules and I can assure you that even at level 15, Yoshimo's lockpicking and trap disarming skills are a long way from being maxed out. Maybe it's different when you set the game difficulty to a lower setting?

You are right that the main reason for having a thief is for his thieving skills (of course). But Yoshimo, wearing shadow dragon plate mail, combined with his trusty little Celestial Fury sword is still handy to have around in a fight. I never found Jan to be quite as effective as a fighter...

It's also true that you lose Yoshimo if you take him to the Asylum - so don't bring him. Let him wait in Brynlaw for you - you don't need to have him in the Asylum anyway...
Old 09-11-2001, 07:06 AM   #3
Keylow
Manshoon

Does that mean that if you don't take him into the Asylum with you, you can just add him on again later and that's that?

So you can just get around that whole treachery thing? pretty neat...

Old 09-11-2001, 09:07 AM   #4
Sir Moosington
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Skunk:
Not sure about this one. I play by D&D rules and I can assure you that even at level 15, Yoshimo's lockpicking and trap disarming skills are a long way from being maxed out. Maybe it's different when you set the game difficulty to a lower setting?
Good point - though its probably because Yoshimo is a Bounty Hunter and gets less thief skill points per level. Jan in my current game is 12th level and has maximum in both lock picking and trap removal.

------------------
Supreme executive power comes from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony
Old 09-11-2001, 10:15 AM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Jan is useful if you use him ranged. And also I have "Major Spoiler" question about Yoshimo.

It's one of the MAJOR spoilers in the game so you're warned..

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Here it's..

Yoshi is a traitor, and he attacks you if you take him to asylum with you. If you dont take Yoshimo with you to Asylum he does not attack you and you cant get his heart, right? Is there any other ways to get his heart and bring it to temple. This quest gives you lot of xp but I cant take him to asylum, ideas?
Old 09-11-2001, 02:59 PM   #6
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

yoshi dies no matter what happens. if you take him to the asylum, he betrays you and you can get his heart. if you leave him anywhere else and then go to the asylum, he will die and will not drop his heart.

there have been many puzzled people here asking about why yoshi drops dead when they return to the coronet after getting imoen back.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:47 PM   #7
Kitty
Manshoon

SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Irenicus cursed him with a geas spell which would bring death to Yoshimo if he failed to take your main character to the Spellhold. You find this out only if you go to the asylum with him.
If you dump him somewhere before going to Spellhold, he'll die when you return to take him back.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:49 PM   #8
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

jan. for funness and because yoshi is baddi....

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-14-2001, 03:45 PM   #9
oldbittercraig
Elminster

jan... not even close.
Old 09-15-2001, 01:08 AM   #10
ripugg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The one thing Yoshimo is good for is his traps. Those special snares can come in handy, and he can throw them. Though everyone is right that he isn't much use otherwise. I think a bounty hunter/mage would be a powerful player if that is possible; I might try this next time.