Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 08-15-2001, 11:12 PM   #1
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

right now i am using a cleric/fighter and i want to know the pros and cons for the combo instead of just using a plain cleric? and what do u prefer?

------------------

I am Demoquin, Agent from Hell
Demoquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 11:30 PM   #2
-Aragain-
Dungeon Master

I dont know everything but i do know that I would want a Fighter, but thats how I feel.

A Cleric/Fighter could do the damage and heal, but i think would have the armor and weapons requirements of the cleric. On top of that you would need to worry about both strength and wisdom, or int, when creating the character. Duel classing is too much for me!

Correct me if im wrong anyone...

-Aragain Leafstalker
-Aragain- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2001, 01:35 AM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well a Cleric does not have any armor restrictions. It does, however, have restrictions on weapons, i.e., no edged weapons such as swords or use of arrows. One of the most vocalized criticism of BG1 is that it heavily favored the fighter class. Icewind Dale and BG2 rectified the problem immensly. Anyway, many people find the fighter/cleric combo to be a powerful one. Being multi-class, however, it will take awhile to advance because you have to split the experience.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 08:34 PM   #4
Bromley
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Don't forget, if you are thinking of carrying you character over to BGII, ranger/clerics get access to druid spells (which are good in BGII) as well as the clerical ones.

You can even play BGI as a ranger and then dual in BGII, when druid/priest spells get more fun.
Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:33 PM   #5
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

damn too late. i already made my fighter/cleric but he is doing extremely well. Im about to enter the mines of Nashkell. but i will try out the Ranger and duel for cleric in BG2. Question what are some decen weapons for a cleic to have besides the sling and for BG2. What level will turn away undead and what level for destroying the undead.

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
Lioness
Jack Burton

Some clerical weapons in BG1:
War Hammer +2: Area South of High Hedhe, x-4289, y-2853
Mace +2:Fourth level of Durlags Tower, x-2994, y-192
Mace +1:The Iron Throne, x-1101, y-716

In BG2:
War hammer +1, +4 vs Giant Humanoids

Good Luck!

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Little Angel of Ironworks
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 11:04 PM   #7
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

thanks Lioness, too bad i dont have TOTSC

------------------

Old 08-17-2001, 11:13 PM   #8
Lioness
Jack Burton

Thats ok, use the War Hammer +2, it's the best in my opinion.

------------------

Sword Saint of the HADB Clan
Waitress and entertainer at Cloudy's Cafe
Little Angel of Ironworks
Lioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 12:52 AM   #9
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

Try playing a cleric-thief sometime. That is a great class combo. If you're going to play it strictly within the game's parameter, then only a gnome gets to play this class. But if you want to alter the race of the character with Gatekeeper, I say why not. He won't be any more powerful. In fact, if you make him half-elven, let's say, he will receive less of a bonus for the thieving skills that count the most (detect traps and pick locks) than if he were a gnome. Anyway, a cleric-thief can backstab with Shillelagh, Spriritual Hammer, or the enchanted 'staff mace' found in Durlag's.
Lemernis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 09:55 PM   #10
Demoquin
Dungeon Master

i tried cleric because i was getting a little tired of the thief. but the ranger on the other hand

------------------