Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally reported by The Associated Press:

A Freedom High School freshman has run up against opposition in her quest to start a Caucasian Club.

A local NAACP leader says Lisa McClelland's proposed club, which would be open to all races and ethnicities, smacks of racial division, a charge the 15-year-old denies. McClelland says she and some of her friends simply feel a bit slighted since other school clubs cater to specific cultures and races, such as the Black Student Union and the Asian Club.

"It's not racist because we're not excluding anyone, and we're just trying to solve the issues of racial disparity," McClelland said. Her ethnic background is American Indian, Latino, Dutch, German, Italian and Irish.

So far McClelland has gathered 245 signatures from an array of students, adults and others on and off campus in support of the formation of her Caucasian Club. She's looking to gather additional signatures before submitting the petition to Freedom High principal Eric Volta this week.

The high school has dealt with thorny racial issues in the recent past. In 2001, a black teacher found a noose made out of a shoelace hanging on the doorknob of his classroom. Tensions mounted again last year when a roped noose was found dangling from a redwood tree on campus.

Darnell Turner, vice president of the East County chapter of the NAACP, spoke out against the 2002 incident and says McClelland's Caucasian Club sounds like a bad idea at a time when the campus is trying to heal fresh emotional wounds.

"It will not allow us to heal that divide that we've tried to overcome in the past couple of years," Turner said. "If her motivation is to bring harmony, as she alleges, this is not the way to go."

Some of McClelland's classmates, however, support her effort.

"It'd be tight because they can learn more about their history," said 14-year-old Tyleisha Crooks, a fellow freshman at Freedom who is black.

Elliott Perez, 14, a sophomore at Freedom who is Hispanic and white, also said the school could benefit from McClelland's club.

"I think it's fair for white people to have their own club, because every other race has their own club," he said.

Both Crooks and Perez signed the petition in support of the formation of the Caucasian Club.

Oakley is located about 50 miles east of San Francisco.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Will I don't agree with Racial clubs.

If they wanted a Scotish Club, or a Newfie Club or whatever than that would be OK.

I don't agree with Black clubs either, an African club is OK because you could be a caucasian African.

Cultural clubs are great but basing clubs on skin color alone is dumb.

Korean, and Chinese clubs are OK, because it is not race but culture. Others can attend to get a taste of the culture.

Is this club about race or Culture, it sounds more like race than culture.

[ 09-19-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 12:24 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It seems to me that this club is questioning the validity of clubs that are more about race than culture. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I posted my lengthy thoughts about this at the Oasis: http://www.theoasisforums.com/yabbse...id=508&start=0
Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
It seems to me that this club is questioning the validity of clubs that are more about race than culture. [img]smile.gif[/img]
That's what it looks like to me, as well. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Will I don't agree with Racial clubs.

If they wanted a Scotish Club, or a Newfie Club or whatever than that would be OK.

I don't agree with Black clubs either, an African club is OK because you could be a caucasian African.

Cultural clubs are great but basing clubs on skin color alone is dumb.

Korean, and Chinese clubs are OK, because it is not race but culture. Others can attend to get a taste of the culture.

Is this club about race or Culture, it sounds more like race than culture.
Well then , you must be against the NAACP , because the acronym stands for the National association for the advancement of COLORED people. If that isnt an orginization based on skin color then I dont know what is.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:22 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Since black and white are technically not colors that wipes out two coloured groups. Yes I am against NAACP until they change their name and treat all people equally.

[ 09-19-2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Since black and white are technically not colors that wipes out two coloured groups. Yes I am against NAACP until they change their name and treat all people equally.
You do understand why the NAACP was founded, right ? It isn't all that long ago since they were NOT treated as equal human beings.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #9
Azimaith
Manshoon

we have that in Hawaii, several schools including mine had the Japanese club, philipino club, ect, if its privately owned, maintained, and off public property fine, otherwise no.
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Azimaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Perhaps a more appropriate name for a club to address the issues of racial disparity would be the racial disparity club.

edit- a dictionary defintion of the word Caucasian:

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Caucasian \Cau*ca"sian\, a.
1. Of or pertaining to the Caucasus, a mountainous region
between the Black and Caspian seas.

2. Of or pertaining to the white races of mankind, of whom
the people about Mount Caucasus were formerly taken as the
type.

[ 09-20-2003, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]