Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 07:08 AM   #11
wellard
Dracolisk

It is disturbing, but then I have never clicked on e-bay and never will [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Then I remember I have payed Z using pay pal and now I am very disturbed

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 09-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #12
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would prefer eBay to require a court order simply to prevent the possibility of fraud and identity theft. I can appreciate the fact that they want to protect themselves and want to have a friendly relationship with authorities, but I don't think they've considered the fact that anybody could send them a name and badge# and request information on a user.

As for the info itself being divulged to proper authorities, I don't have a problem with that. After all, my address and personal data could be found through a simple inquiry to the local Post Office. Likewise, I have no doubt that my ISP would provide local, state, or federal authorities with any info regarding my email account and internet browsing activities if they were asked to do so. If they refused to cooperate, that would make them appear suspicious.

With so many users, there is no doubt that at least a portion of the eBay members ARE committing fraud, scams, or selling stolen goods. What better way to get rid of some stolen electronics quickly and for a decent price to boot? EBay could conceivably be liable as an accessory if they didn't report such information upon request. Still, they need to think about that same liability problem if somebody impersonates an officer and then uses the information received to commit identity theft.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:12 AM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

What annoy me is the the sheer number of information they an get on you. They can have much more info than even your isp could find.

Think about how much person use paypal. How would you feel if your credit card company was keeping tab of everything you bought, and not just the price, but all the info on the item, and was willing to give to anyone that asked, along with your social security number, your job info, adress, phone, number, and anything they can think of.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 AM   #14
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
I don't see what the issue is. Don't try to scam people on ebay, and you won't have anything to worry about.
"that eBay is willing to hand over everything it knows about visitors to its Web site that might be of interest to an investigator."
Doesn't handing your personal information over to... investors.. mean Spam? Or are they talking about the government here?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:08 AM   #15
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by harleyquinn:
As someone who's been ripped off on Ebay, I'm glad they're not making it hard to find the guy who does it.
Sorry, but I agree, if you don't rip people off, perform mail fraud, or buy or sell anything illegal, then you have nothing to worry about, and if you do, well, sorry, but you have it coming.
Ditto. Ditto. And ditto.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:41 AM   #16
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
I don't see what the issue is. Don't try to scam people on ebay, and you won't have anything to worry about.
"that eBay is willing to hand over everything it knows about visitors to its Web site that might be of interest to an investigator."
Doesn't handing your personal information over to... investors.. mean Spam? Or are they talking about the government here?
[/QUOTE]
Official investigators. They arent allowed to hand out personal info because of your rights.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 AM   #17
Vampire

I've been riped off at eBay badly once. I am glad that eBay takes what it does seriously.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:33 PM   #18
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

originaly by: Azimaith
Quote:
you know thats a ridiculous proposistion, maybe your an Ebay scammer. This is just about the Ebay privacy policy. When you sign up for Ebay you will have to sign a TOSA or Terms of Service Agreement or something like this, if you don't read it, too bad.
So now I am a thief, is that it. Did you even bother to read the article? Why dont you give it another try. I have broken it down into a small section so you shouldnt have such a hard time comprehending what is going on this time around.

Quote:
Sullivan says eBay has recorded and documented every iota of data that has come through the Web site since it first went online in 1995. Every time someone makes a bid, sells an item, writes about someone else, even when the company cancels a sale for whatever reason - it documents all of the pertinent information.
This means that they keep better track of your spending habits than you probably do. While some of us may forget what we bought back in the 90's ,but eBay will always remember.

Quote:
One would think that preserving privacy of the users, whose moves are so meticulously recorded, would be keenly observed at eBay, whose good name in the Internet community is one of its prime assets. But in the U.S. of the post 9/11 and pre-Gulf War II era, helping the "security forces" is considered a supreme act of patriotism.
Basicaly eBay is going to be they eyes and ears for law enforcement and pick up whatever they cant. Better check your local laws befor you order of of eBay or you could find Johnny Law on your front porch asking you about your new sword cane/"adult" vid/"chemistry book"/electronics component/vintage High times collection.

Quote:
Who needs a subpoena?
I dunno , maybe cops who follow the rules?

Quote:
"We don't make you show a subpoena, except in exceptional cases," Sullivan told his listeners. "When someone uses our site and clicks on the `I Agree' button, it is as if he agrees to let us submit all of his data to the legal authorities. Which means that if you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to do is send us a fax with a request for information, and ask about the person behind the seller's identity number, and we will provide you with his name, address, sales history and other details - all without having to produce a court order. We want law enforcement people to spend time on our site," he adds. He says he receives about 200 such requests a month, most of themunofficial requests in the form of an email or fax.
It is good to see that eBay is looking out for your safety. Its not like John Wayne Gacey pretended to be a cop to find out info on people. Oh wait, thats exactly what he did along with a few other serial killers.

Quote:
The meaning is clear. One fax to eBay from a lawman - police investigator, NSA, FBI or CIA employee, National Park ranger - and eBay sends back the user's full name, email address, home address, mailing address, home telephone number, name of company where seller is employed and user nickname. What's more, eBay will send the history of items he has browsed, feedbacks received, bids he has made, prices he has paid, and even messages sent in the site's various discussion groups.
The meaning is clear,eBay doesnt care who finds out about you , just so long as the law doesnt look to closely at them. I wonder what deep dark secret they are hideing by giving all of us up as sacraficial lambs.

[ 09-25-2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]