Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 PM   #11
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
They find songs and the like on your computers because they taped into Kazaa and have it bugged. It's a load of crap, they point fingers at people and saying they're the ones giving them the trouble, but here's the industry going out of their way injecting viruses into downloads, royaly screwing up your hard drive, and when they do find your IP number by scanning it, it's an invasion of your privacy.

They're breaking two big times rules by invasion of privacy and destruction of personal property. But of course you can't do anything about it, they're roll out their money with their lawyers (no offense to you TL) and they will always throw the copywriting thing in your face.

With a collosal industry against a small town or city guy, who do you honestly think will win?
I have an alternative to fighting them in court. You all remember the end scene in Fight Club, dont you? You do the math.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #12
Nerull
Lord Ao

They say that they are trying to drive people to the pay download sites by doing this. I have heard that there has been a drop in illegal downloads, but I have NOT heard of a significant increase in the pay sites. In other words, a bunch of us (myself included) are just deciding that we don't need to go get that song or CD. They lose out just like before. And the lawsuits? That just increases animosity towards them, which in the long run will only hurt their sales. I think it is hilarious that Universal dropped their CD prices. They can drop all of their CDs in the toilet and flush for all that I care.

In other words, technology has changed their market. Instead of adapting to the changes in the market, they are trying to control it and keep the status quo. Complete morons.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-10-2003, 02:25 AM   #13
Link
Jack Burton

As all of you I think that this won't help a thing against the piracy that the music industry so much hates.. Why they're not searching for a better method (such as lowering the prices of CD's and games) is a mystery to me!

[ 09-10-2003, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Link ]
Old 09-10-2003, 08:15 AM   #14
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:

I wish they would just keep their dignity and give it a rest, you can't stop 4,000,000+ people from downloading files.

Get over it! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
actually by the EFF's count it's 57million (more then the number of people who voted for Pres Bush)

also if you want more specific info on what to do if you are targetted (or find out if you are) as well as some good background legal info written in plain english go to www.eff.org
Old 09-10-2003, 10:24 AM   #15
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Oh please, as if hackers would work for a company full of guys fat with money who would as soon turn them in for being a hacker.
Quote:
They find songs and the like on your computers because they taped into Kazaa and have it bugged. It's a load of crap, they point fingers at people and saying they're the ones giving them the trouble, but here's the industry going out of their way injecting viruses into downloads, royaly screwing up your hard drive, and when they do find your IP number by scanning it, it's an invasion of your privacy.

They're breaking two big times rules by invasion of privacy and destruction of personal property
. But of course you can't do anything about it, they're roll out their money with their lawyers (no offense to you TL) and they will always throw the copywriting thing in your face.
Methinks you just contradicted yourself. You disinctly said that hackers wouldnt work for the RIAA, but then point out the RIAA doing all the things hackers do. You dont have to be independant to be a hacker.

(N.B. this was accidentaly originaly posted as my brother, Bruce The Aussie, as im on his machine. he has instructed me to tell you he is 'Kick ass and wonderful' )
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 AM   #16
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Of course it's stupid. The RIAA is made up of fat cat recording company executives who want to protect their luxurious lifestyle and know nothing about computers or the internet.
Hear hear! What! Did I just agree with Vasez?

Anyway what I heard didn't sound like an amnesty at all. Rather a threat. "If you delete all the files you have downloaded we won't do anything. If you don't we will sue your pants off!". Hmm sounds like what they're doing right now.

Oh and I used Kazaa yesterday to download the latest patch for Warlords Battlecry. What an excellent program I must say. I was downloading from Ubisoft at about 3kB/s but got 560kB/s from Kazaa. [img]smile.gif[/img] I could see all files the guy was sharing, the one I downloaded from, by right clicking his username. Isn't that how they get your files? I mean I doubt they are actually hacking into your computer since it is illegal. I know they want to be able to do it (legalising entry into computers that is) but I doubt they're doing it. They'd be sued for billions right away. Of course developing viruses are not that good an idea either...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:46 AM   #17
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
by right clicking his username. Isn't that how they get your files?
yup that is probably how they get your files. thing is, how do they get your IP? the only way they can find people is to get their ip, trace it, and then get the details from their isp (normally forcefully). there is more to their methods than simply right clicking names. after all, then everyone who uses kazaa would have been sued by now!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 AM   #18
andrewas
Harper

The netstat command is a wonderful thing. Start a download and you can see where its coming from.