Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 02-07-2002, 09:59 AM   #1
Angry Dwarf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

it seems like all everyone talks about is their fav class. but whats your fav race? and why? does race affect anything besides their natural abilities?
Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
fable
Quintesson

I suspect nobody talks about the races because there's so little distinction between 'em on an experiential level. Being an elf, dwarf, halfling, etc, doesn't give you access to special areas, weaponry or abilities. You're not specifically targeted for friendship or hatred by anyone else. I'm not complaining, mind you: it was obviously something that would have just spiraled the game's design out of control to put this in.

On the other hand, the professions do play quite differently, and the addition of strongholds only adds to that.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:20 AM   #3
Meanal
Dungeon Master

It does affect abbilitys because a half-orc can have 19 strength and 19 constitution but an elf can have 19 dexterity
Old 02-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
fable
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Meanal:
It does affect abbilitys because a half-orc can have 19 strength and 19 constitution but an elf can have 19 dexterity

You're not paying attention to what I wrote:

Being an elf, dwarf, halfling, etc, doesn't give you access to special areas, weaponry or abilities...

"Access" is the key word. In other words, you don't get access to abilities as an elf that you would otherwise lack as a dwarf, and vice versa. Having the possibility of a 19 DEX, for example, doesn't mean you get a skill of Hide Behind Objects that makes you invisible without really trying. With minor distinctions for maxxing out a few stats, all races are essentially identical for purposes of gameplay.

Note that in Arcanum, race affects the size of armor (large, normal, small) that you can wear. It also makes it easier or harder to pick up quests and get information when dealing with other races that have a history of liking or disliking yours.
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 12:56 PM   #5
Nifft the Nimble

I like Sorcerers, Archers, Fighter/Mages and Thief/Mages, so Elf would probably be my favorite race. Nothing against Dwarven Fighter/Clerics or Half-Orc Fighter/Thieves, though, or against Halfling Assassins. No, definately I don't want to belittle Halfling Assassins.

-- Nifft, looking over shoulder
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 01:44 PM   #6
Van Richten
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My favorite race is deffently humans......i cant give any specific reason for that........

I dislike elves for that arrogance you always see in classical AD&D campain settings......

Dwarfs are fun.....but i cant imagine ther way to think (thats why i never play them in any roleplaying game)

Halflings and gnomes...........well they are to short for my likings......but funnny little creatures

and Half-elves........they are really cool..........but i just dont think they are fun to play thats all
Old 02-07-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Sir Goulum
John Locke

i personally like half-elves because they can be multi class with almost anything and they can have any kind of weapon! perfect people.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:03 PM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Gnome is my favourite race, Gnomes are very intelligent and they have an eternal flame burning for invention! They like to invent. Their machines are always complex things. Did u ever saw a gnome refrigator? its size is larger than a red dragon [img]smile.gif[/img]
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 03:07 PM   #9
Sir Exxon
Zartan

My favourite race is maybe the Half-orc, since they can have 19 strength.
But besides that, I think the human, cause they are the only ones who can be Paladins, which is my favourite class.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:57 PM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Agree with Sir Exxon. What good is life if youcn't be a paladin and wield Carsomyr? Gotta be human.