Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-01-2001, 04:03 AM   #31
TheDutkanator

VERY tough decision. Both can be very effective, and powerful. Give Drakkon's Zerth Blade to a level 20 Kensai and WATCH OUT! Then again, any level 20 mage could wreak havoc amongst the crowds. All said and damage dealt, one needs the other. To be the most effective mage, you need protection. To most effectively kill/protect the mage, you need enchantments. But, to finally answer, I'll go with the blade. In a pinch, it is more reliable and therefore more deadly. In (virtual) reality, a level 20 fighter would move quicker and react faster than any mage. This being the case, on even footing (both catching eachother unaware) the fighter would most likely win. Too many *ifs* though.

------------------
Old 05-01-2001, 04:16 AM   #32
Gd_00
Dungeon Master

steel is an answer

i like swords ---- big , small, medium sized

but i like arrows too (expecialy with boots of speed)

Old 05-01-2001, 04:43 AM   #33
Halbred
The Magister

I would have to say magic because Magical Weapons are what make Melee combat a threat, unless you are talking about a high level monk. The monk i have does not need weapons yet is a powerful fighter.

So based on the fact that a weapon needs to be enchanted or imbued in some way to have a drastic affect on a battle i say Magic is more powerful. IMHO of course =)
Old 05-01-2001, 09:58 AM   #34
Vampire

One on one battles mean that the magic user will Always win at high levels.
Your fighter can not breach defences! Stone skin, Mislead and Absoulute Immunity makes your best fighter useless. Same applies for a group, but mages require rest and fighters DO NOT. So no long term battles. A mixed group is best! But magic heavy never hurts.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:22 AM   #35
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

The carsomyr can breach protections. It doesnt matter though because a monk will beat both fighers and spellcasters at the same time with one arm tied behind his back.

------------------
I am ken BOW TO ME!
Old 05-01-2001, 05:26 PM   #36
Halbred
The Magister

then again if you have a hasted fighter, they can get to the mage before they cast their protections, or an invisible thief can wreak havoc also, but then again i could get a fighter with a scroll of magic protection and dig my nose will throwing rocks at the mage if i wanted to also, it all depeneds on how you play it. The potential for each is huge which is what makes this game so awesome!

AND why my girlfreind hates this game so much =)

Old 05-01-2001, 05:44 PM   #37
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Weapons!!!!!!!!!!! BIG, SHARP, GLOWING WEAPONS!!!!!!!!! KILLKILLKILL.....

------------------
Of all the things I've lost i miss my mind the most...
Old 05-01-2001, 07:05 PM   #38
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

WEAPONS!!!!! You can't go saying magics better because fighters need magic weapons etc. We're talking casting spells here. I generally prefer hand to hand combat- reliable, quick, can be done over and over. It also doesn't feel realistic to me going and resting after every couple of battles to get your spells back. Most high creatures have a magical resisitance too lowering magics effectiveness. It mostly comes down to the way I play and relate to the game too. I always forget to use special items and skills. It's also good to see monsters splatter into little pieces.

------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to visit this board.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:45 PM   #39
Gargoyle
Manshoon

I have one thing to say, MAGIC MISSILES, where would we be without them early on !!

------------------
Time is only relevant if you have none !
Old 05-01-2001, 11:23 PM   #40
Chaos Weapon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Fighters are great for consistency. Mages are awesome if they are prepared.
But........
Fighter/Mages are unstoppable when they can prepare.
You can cast:
Blur
Imp. Invisible
Spell Deflection
Spell Turning
Mirror Image
Stoneskin
Spirit Armor
Mantle or Imp. Mantle if you want
and finally TENSERS TRANSFORMATION!!!!!!!!
Then you can throw on your full plate.
When all is added up, the AC is about -20, THAC0 is about -10 and you have 22 spell levels of magic protection. I present to you the Fighter/Mage that rolls over everything and deflects most everything, and also juliens and fries.

And you thought mages were powerful if prepared. BRaHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA