Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2001, 09:59 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

fighter-thief, old fashioned is a wonderful way to be, as far as I'm concerned!

And for what it's worth, I am a church-goer (please don't hold it against me! I know that's not a 'popular' thing to admit to these days). Popular or not, I have great faith that although the Bible is not to be taken "literally" in that one cannot read word for word and take the meaning literally (it's a translated, copied by hand work!), it is in fact the Word of God (inspired). I do agree, that man (I use the term generically here, ladies ) has abused and misused it, along with almost every other gift we've had over the ages, but I still have my faith and by it's very nature, faith needs no "proofs" to abide. (And now I imagine I shall kick myself for breaking my most cardinal rule: don't discuss religion with folk you don't even know- but what the heck, I'm feeling reckless and so far nobody has taken a longsword to me here!) Uh, don't worry, I won't do it again, honest! My faith is MY faith, I don't try to impose it on others.

And fighter-thief, I have those feelings (that this country is going downhill fast, decency-wise) but I've noticed lately that there do seem to be some really good people out there too! Look at this board, you'll see a lot of decent people from all over the world, including our rather large corner of it! Hope you have a better day today. (that coffee stain will come out with a little club soda! )
Old 02-02-2001, 10:11 AM   #12
fighter-thief

Cloudbringer
hey thanks for replying i was starting to thing i had just hung my self ,and believe me i have faith in god just not man you are right thier is great caring people here and thanks for the club soda advice

um i am lost about the reply from Moiraine
could i have a little insite please

Old 02-02-2001, 10:27 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

fighter-thief: your post just looked like you needed a hug and some re-assurance that there's still some good in the world, so I answered. I've had days like that, believe me! Glad you feel better!
Old 02-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #14
Moiraine
Anubis

Fighter-Thief, Cloudbringer, I am an atheist, but I have no problem with friends believing in God, in any God, as long as their faith makes them feel in harmony with themselves, and as long as they don't despise or try to convert others. Ask Yorick about that !

Good for you, good for me !

Fighter-Thief, the remark I made to Yorick was because I know he is a Christian himself, vastly cultured and a bit touchy about religious matters, and I kind of expect him to answer to what you just said, and please don't forget the special Aussie humor sense when he does.
Old 02-02-2001, 10:54 AM   #15
fighter-thief

you know somebody once told me there are three things not to talk about 1 is religion 2 weather 3 politics and i should have stuck with it but i believe that choice is a great freedom that is great to use i would never knock anybody for who they are and what they chose and besides the last thing i want to do is piss anybody off i think anybody who has talked to me knows that ,Moiriane i realy need to stop putting my foot in my mouth,next time you see me doing it just slap me as a friend

Old 02-02-2001, 11:04 AM   #16
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Moiraine: I meant what I said, I don't run out trying to convert people. Not my style, I don't feel that you can't force belief/faith in anyone, so it's counterproductive to try. Talk, answer questions, and be who I am, yes, try to convert, no. Hmmm, why do i get the feeling I AM gonna kick myself for breaking that rule of mine?

Back to topic anyone? I've never been to France, Moiraine, but work with several people from France. One in particular is a very sweet man, but it took him quite a while (three yrs!) to be trusting enough to joke about with me, so I think I have a sense of what you meant in your post.
Old 02-02-2001, 11:13 AM   #17
Moiraine
Anubis

Fighter-Thief, no, no, no, no, I didn't say that you said anything wrong, I get the feeling that he will react strongly to your saying that "just men wrote the bible and developed a way to profit from this", is all !

Cloudbringer, thanks, ha, maybe my post was not as stupid as Kylle suggested after all.
Old 02-02-2001, 11:14 AM   #18
fighter-thief

Cloudbringer on to happier thoughts i like Amber that is really a pretty name and i think we should move on to happier and easier things before this gets out of hand and besides i have to many questions that i don't want a confrontation just to get them answered i like to be and try very hard to be open-minded that way you don't miss the beutiful colors in between

peace be with us and in our hearts

Old 02-02-2001, 11:14 AM   #19
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

This topic is WAY OFF TOPIC, but I have to put in my thoughts. I agree with fighter-thief, never discuss religion, weather or politics, but I also feel that in good nature with open-minded people these topics can be discussed. I am in Moiraine's corner (an athiest) and feel as she does. If you are happy (as I am) about your life then it does not matter to me what your faith or beliefs are, as long as you do not try to convert me. I respect and honor people's choices and only want mine respected also. It is nice to see that we have such diversity on this board and that even on such a "controversial" topic as religion we can still get along and post our views without fear of attack! Just wanted to say those few words (not trying to butt in )
Old 02-02-2001, 11:21 AM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Ack, blasted 'cut and paste' anyway, - that should have read "I don't believe you CAN force...yadda yadda' -